Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's so illogical, it basically gets Gerrard off scot-free no matter what.  I swear he doesn't even think coaching is a thing.

A successful manager should be doing 3 things (apart from winning games)…

1 - Improving the players he has.

2 - Signing better players than he has

3 - Beating the ‘wage position’ of his team - ie: if you have 10th highest wages, you should be finishing higher than 10th.  

If you’re not doing these 3 things, then you’re not a good manager. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TRO said:

what on earth are you talking about.

Many teams have good players, even great players, but wrong fit....I think you are interpreting my comments, wrong.....anyway, some have not been as convincing,as they should be IMO.

How many top managers have Man Utd crashed and burned, always their fault.....some of the best managers in world football, doubted, and dumped.

I am not suggesting SG is blame free, but equally don't think its all his fault either.

Not sure you will garner much support with this summary TRO - we have some very talented individuals and some unfortunately out on loan,yet we look distinctly average and I’m this is on him imo  

I’m still surprised anyone would want to keep him, his football is atrocious we beat a very poor Southampton team and a poor Everton side who had literally no striker on the pitch till rondon come on, the experiment with gerrard hasn’t worked we look worse than when smith got the sack, just bite the bullet nwse and get rid before the forest game as if the rumour is true they are getting rid of there manager with a new manager bounce can see us losing that game, we will regret not doing it now whilst top managers are currently available like pochettino and tuchel

Edited by rbcuk

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Again on Talksport they are saying Bruno Lage's sacking was a bit harsh as he didn't really have a recognised striker with Jiminez out, but says it happens unfortunately. I thought, what about our man Gerrard, 2 strikers and still can't score, surely that justifies the sack then, or not cause he's a media darling.

I've also realised with Gerrard obviously wanting the Liverpool job, which Purslow would know, he was obviously appointed to learn his trade with us, until he was good enough for the LIverpool job, which in reality is bonkers from Purslow.

His appointment never made any sense to me…?

Indeed, why would you appoint an unproven premier league manager who if he did turn out to be successful would; first chance he got, be off to Liverpool (with all his coaching staff)

How is that building a solid foundation for the future of Aston Villa football club?

Bizarre imo, especially considering how switched on Purslow appears to be

I can only imagine he was taken in by SG and believed he would come good…now his reputation is riding on this appointment big style.

• Like 1

5 points from the last 9 available, 3 game unbeaten run including a draw against City, 2 clean sheets in a row, all as injuries are slowly starting to pile up.

I’m not trying to make it sound fantastic, and believe me It’s not enjoyable to watch right now, but if we can take the 3 points next Monday at Forest then that’s 8 from 12 and we’re slowly climbing up the table.

They’re not going to sack him as imminently as I know a lot of fans want, not while we’re picking up points anyway.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

All those that are not effective.....after a game, ask yourself the question of every player, what have you really done, to effect the game, have the opposition found you hard to play against.....you might find the answer.

Ollie is quite easy to target.....but others find it easy to go through a game, with questionable effect.

Right now, I would say Tyrone Mings is ironically, by far our best player......we need those performances, up front too.

Maybe Stevie was right. Taking the captaincy away has made him play better. Just a shame that doing that has made McGinn play poorly instead 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We’re three unbeaten and conceded just one goal (which was against City, given their scoring rate that’s really not too shabby), neither Southampton or Leeds caused us many issues in defence. 

We just need to get it going at the other end now, we created the chances to beat Leeds, Watkins wasted most of them but on another day Coutinho’s effort goes in off the post and we’re all a lot happier. 

We don’t look good at the moment, but we do look solid, we’re missing 4 key players too. If someone said ‘here’s a better manager, who’s willing to take over and I’ve seen into the future that they’re successful’ - sign me up. But in the absence of that we might as well, oh I don’t know, get behind the team? 

The problem is we have had to revert to playing like Burnley to get those results. Now that's fine, once in a while, against the likes of City as going toe to toe will end in a beating but against Southampton and Leeds? Should we not, at the very least, be looking to play a better tactical game than falling over, time wasting, niggly fouls long ball football? It's just sucking any joy out of following the team.

We are missing some key players but, let's be honest, it hasn't really been anything other than poor whatever the players we have put on the pitch.

I want to see us showing ambition and keeping Gerrard suggests we don't have any

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Watching Villa time wasting against Leeds in the first half, while not even being a goal up has to be one of the low-points of supporting Villa in recent years. Not even Bournemouth or Forest play like this. So embarrassing. 

“Before the game maybe we would settled for a point”. Brentford just beat Leeds 5-2. People need to wake up. It’s a disgrace 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

“Before the game maybe we would settled for a point”. Brentford just beat Leeds 5-2. People need to wake up. It’s a disgrace 

He lowered the expectations so much the bar is in hell now. 

18 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

“Before the game maybe we would settled for a point”. Brentford just beat Leeds 5-2. 

That is a disgrace. He should be sacked for that alone. What an absolute clearing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Which players of ours would you accuse of this? 

:lol: there aren't any. Gerrard has spoken many times about how much effort the team put in. 

It's just become priority #1 for some to defend Gerrard. There's nothing even in it for them.

Back to the days of posts on here being more fun the matches sadly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

**** me, and a ‘that’s on us, that’s on me’ too.

Mr motivator - I’m reading from one or two that it’s the players that need to work harder, get stuck in, cause problems and listen to the managers instructions and he’s saying we’d settle for a point against **** Leeds?

Anyone still hanging on to his ‘mentality’ as some sort of indicator that he’s going to come good should read that and be incensed. They won’t though as their stall is set out. I remember Dean Smith quite emphatically saying to journalists in the first season back we’ll be going out to win every game. Which we did try.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

Can I ask a question? I've been trying to understand how things are going to get better under Gerrard without a serious amount of financial investment from the owners. We have creativity, we have decent players, but they cannot play to their full potential and unleash their creativity in the system that Gerrard is using. Gerrard is unwilling to alter his system, so if we are not going to change the manager how do things improve, and how much more is needed to achieve the stated aim of the owners, competing in the top half of the prem?

7 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Can I ask a question? I've been trying to understand how things are going to get better under Gerrard without a serious amount of financial investment from the owners. We have creativity, we have decent players, but they cannot play to their full potential and unleash their creativity in the system that Gerrard is using. Gerrard is unwilling to alter his system, so if we are not going to change the manager how do things improve, and how much more is needed to achieve the stated aim of the owners, competing in the top half of the prem?

Gerrard basically needs 500 million 

Â