Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, M_Afro said:

Not sure about that. We lost to Bournemouth who are awful and failed to beat 10 man Leeds, who are also awful. I think there’s a real chance of us losing at Forest too. A poor defeat could signal the end although I suspect he will hang on for a bit longer.

Hope not. What a **** mess he's turned us into. Disgrace he's still in charge.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

Hope not. What a **** mess he's turned us into. Disgrace he's still in charge.

To be honest, he hasn’t turned us into a mess. We were a mess when he took over. He just hasn’t improved anything. We are still a mess!

Just now, M_Afro said:

To be honest, he hasn’t turned us into a mess. We were a mess when he took over. He just hasn’t improved anything. We are still a mess!

His man management has turned the whole vibe of the club into a mess

• Like 4

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Been hearing all day how poor Wolves were ending last season and carrying on with there poor form this season which has justified the sacking of Lange.

We ain't no better, winning 1 more game only 2 points ahead, but apparently Gerrard seems untouchable by the media.

What’s our 2022 stats?  Was wondering that today 

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

This is as big an issue as the overall poor results/performances. Arguably bigger. I think it was all so predictable though. Gerrard never came here for a long term project. It was always about staying 3-4 years and then moving upwards to his dream job. To do that he needs relative success with us fairly quickly. That doesn't tie in with developing young players.

I think regardless of results improving slightly now, and enough to just about keep him in a job, I have zero confidence that we are looking at anything other than being a 12th-16th place team under Gerrard. That wouldn't be acceptable if he was developing our promising younger players so it certainly isn't with him showing little to no interest in doing so. 

So despite 37 games, two transfer windows, big increase in the wage bill and a full pre season we have a run of sustained poor results (Last 25 games we have taken 27 pts, Last 20 games 20 pts , Last 15 games 17 pts, Last 10 games 9 pts, Last 5 games 5 pts) combined with consistently clueless, poor performances, a failure to develop and give first team chances to our excellent young prospects and a disconnect with supporters.

I can't see any reason to keep him but I have a feeling Purslow will stick with him until the situation becomes really desperate and turns really toxic. Gerrrard is his man so he will see it as his failing and I am not sure his ego will readily admit that. I also think given how close they apparently are, and the tinge of fan boy on Purslows part, that he will be loath to sack Gerrard knowing he will be putting a huge dent in his future managerial prospects.

I have a horrible feeling we are going to just trundle along with Gerrard doing just enough to keep Purslow from pulling the trigger and another season, at least, is going to be wasted.

I agree with bits of that. It is right to criticise Purslow & Lange for this appointment, especially if it doesn't align with the other aims of the board. However, we have to be careful that we are not overhyping some of our youngsters too. Maybe they aren't as good as we believe? Smith wasn't a big backer of young players, Brentford didn't even have an academy. 

As for the short term success - i.e winning a cup. Would fans prefer winning a trophy or developing a young player to sell to City for xxx? I think Gerrard's vision matches with the fans. Surely we are all craving some tangible short term success? I am. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is learning brilliant. The most pathetic excuse people give him

This is not some training course. Would you let an unqualified pilot fly you to the USA?

I enjoyed the guy (from about a month ago) who said that the development of Stevie G was more important than the results at the moment. That was the epitome of patheticness!!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Gerrard is now popping off at local journalists. Think what you want about Preece but ultimately they defend their own and now he can be certain local journalists will be giving him little grace going forwards, the national press are another matter though. They won't dare criticize a Liverpool legend until the bitter end, he's above reproach basically. 

That explains the delay in making a decision as Purslow won't want the negative press from the national press for firing one of the sky 6 heroes. If Purslow ever grows the balls to fire him it will be too late, hell Wolves are looking at getting Lopetuegi FFS.  

I acknowledge he has faced a injury list to his starting eleven that is clearly not ideal, but he seems either unwilling or unable to adjust tactics unless it's to go ultra safe and defensive in order to scrape by and save himself. Is that acceptable though, given the investment the owners have made?

If they are happy with how things are going then I need to start questioning them,they can talk about the "villa pride" and the waiting list for season tickets. Well if Gerrrard is here in 18 months then the waiting list well be alot smaller as we will be in the championship again. Not much need for a fancy new north stand then is there? Fans in a majority seem to feel disconnected from the club. From where we were with Smith after staying up, to now is night and day, and yes it was the right decision to ask Smith. 

As it would be to do the same to Gerrrard, but I sense Purslow hasn't got the balls.

Dangerous times for Villa.

How dare Gerrard shows some authentic personality to a reporter! Mountain out of a mole hole. Nonsense that bit in bold though. Not true. I have seen his position and performance being questioned by national and international press. Rightfully so. Gerrard is under pressure. It seems some people are upset that he has got the results - which is frustrating his detractors. Plain and simple.

• Confused 2

58 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

A draw or loss to this Forest team must surely signal the end for him?

He’ll fluke a win and it continues yet again, I just want him gone, I hate going down the games to watch this shit now

I just don't understand what we've done to deserve this. It's like some kind of cruel joke. To go from enjoying football to hating it in just 12 months. That Lerner era PTSD is opening up again. This time there's no excuse of having a Championship squad to contextualize things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

How dare Gerrard shows some authentic personality to a reporter! Mountain out of a mole hole. Nonsense that bit in bold though. Not true. I have seen his position and performance being questioned by national and international press. Rightfully so. Gerrard is under pressure. It seems some people are upset that he has got the results - which is frustrating his detractors. Plain and simple.

Wtf!!!! Gerrard threw a tantrum at a simple innocent question. Its Ashley Preece from the Birmingham Mail not Woodward and Bernstein

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

As for the short term success - i.e winning a cup. Would fans prefer winning a trophy or developing a young player to sell to City for xxx? I think Gerrard's vision matches with the fans. Surely we are all craving some tangible short term success? I am. 

If we were getting short term relative success, or looking like getting it, then giving the young players some game time would be getting nothing more than a passing mention. That isn't even close to being the case though is it. So we are getting no short term success and we are seeing pretty much zero game time for any of our very promising young prospects so you can't even pin your hopes on thinking well we are standing still but x,y,z young player are being developed nicely, look decent and it bodes well for a brighter future in 18 months time. 

I don't know what the vision is at the club now frankly. Smith was sacked 12 months ago with Purslow stating "we have not seen the continuous improvement in results, performances and league position". What is Gerrard being judged on? if it is results then there has been no improvement, if it is performances then they have been clueless and fans would have to scratch their head if they had to describe what our style of play is, if it is league position then we find ourselves pretty much where he found us. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Beating Southampton 1-0 and drawing with Leeds who had ten men for 45 minutes, is this the results he’s got? Am I missing something 

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

Do you genuinely believe Gerrard can win a cup? He’s shown zero evidence that he can. 

• Like 1

the day this poison is removed from Aston Villa then we can move forward again. Until then we are in huge trouble and I would say in 2023 we will be back in the Championship and will be deserved if our owners arent on the ball as Purslow wont want to hurt Stevie Me feelings

Â