Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's amazing he hasn't been fired yet. Crazy really. How long does it take to realise he's out of his depth and isn't going to turn it around?

He'll be sacked after we lose to his old mentor Rafa and his Forest side.

5 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's amazing he hasn't been fired yet. Crazy really. How long does it take to realise he's out of his depth and isn't going to turn it around?

Must be his gangster friends that have taken some family member hostage to prevent him from being sacked. There are no football reason that he still in the job.

He won’t be gone before Forest. Three games unbeaten, including one against Man City with a squad battling injuries. That will be what is pointed to, with some justification. Some.

IF Villa lost to Forest, I think something might happen then although I’m hardly 100%. A draw, then I think he’d need at least one win and maybe a draw from Chelsea, Fulham and Brentford.

Should Villa beat Forest (I think they will), no change is made for the foreseeable unless we lose the subsequent three/four matches or something about as dismal as that.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

He won’t be gone before Forest. Three games unbeaten, including one against Man City with a squad battling injuries. That will be what is pointed to, with some justification. Some.

IF Villa lost to Forest, I think something might happen then although I’m hardly 100%. A draw, then I think he’d need at least one win and maybe a draw from Chelsea, Fulham and Brentford.

Should Villa beat Forest (I think they will), no change is made for the foreseeable unless we lose the subsequent three/four matches or something about as dismal as that.

I don’t agree, I don’t think they think like some fans do.  I think they will be looking over a greater period and be one of three situations

1. back him for medium/long term unless the shit really hits the fan because long term they think he’ll come good
  2. they are already looking and talking to somebody over recent weeks and bringing it all together over the next short period
  3. they are looking to replace him but they can’t get the person they want and aren’t keen on the other options so keeping their pen dry until an opportunity arises (or by some luck Gerrard completely reverses things in the mean time like Arteta did).

I honestly doubt they are going game by game like the above comment.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t agree, I don’t think they think like some fans do.  I think they will be looking over a greater period and be one of three situations

1. back him for medium/long term unless the shit really hits the fan because long term they think he’ll come good
  2. they are already looking and talking to somebody over recent weeks and bringing it all together over the next short period
  3. they are looking to replace him but they can’t get the person they want and aren’t keen on the other options so keeping their pen dry until an opportunity arises (or by some luck Gerrard completely reverses things in the mean time like Arteta did).

they also have the world cup break as an unprecedented 6 weeks to do something, we've got 7 games from which there's still every danger we can get something from forest, fulham, brentford, there's a potential mini run here and even if we do lose to say newcastle, utd or chelsea it is hard to see anyone scoring 4 or 5 past us and embarrassing them in to action

i think we'll get 6-8 points before the world cup and be in this mini 15th to 10th pack and then the decision will come...

56 minutes ago, nick76 said:

My general point is that in my view, the board probably don’t believe the recent form is bad enough to warrant Gerrard’s sacking. 

And yeah, they are obviously going to consider form over a longer period. But I feel like there normally is a tipping point, over one or two games when the decision is apparent. 

I’d like to think they are working on sounding out a replacement ready to go, if they are of that opinion. But I’m not convinced.

When Bruce was sacked, they didn’t have Smith waiting in the wings immediately, we had MacDonald in charge for the following game. So it’s not like they were putting up with the dismal stuff under Bruce just because they were negotiating with Smith and Brentford. Otherwise they’d either have kept Bruce for the Millwall game, or had Smith in place for it. 

The Preston North End game acted as a final straw, so to a certain degree, I think there is a sort of game by game/we need X amount of points from the next X amount of games mentality. Not to the extent that I or whomever on here might do, but I think it is there.

Edit - also in your first situation - “unless the shit really hits the fan”

I think there’s a sizeable amount who would argue that losing to Forest is the shit hitting the fan.

Others would probably say a draw at Forest, followed by two more points from the next three is also shit hitting the fan territory.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they also have the world cup break as an unprecedented 6 weeks to do something, we've got 7 games from which there's still every danger we can get something from forest, fulham, brentford, there's a potential mini run here and even if we do lose to say newcastle, utd or chelsea it is hard to see anyone scoring 4 or 5 past us and embarrassing them in to action

i think we'll get 6-8 points before the world cup and be in this mini 15th to 10th pack and then the decision will come...

6-8 points continues the 1 ppg run, which I agree seems the likely return but that’s just how low the bar has come that that’s what we are predicting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

It's the consistency that bothers me. Smith was sacked for lack of progress. We have become arguably even worse yet SG is still here

with essentially players signed under Deans tenure.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just out of interest, when would it become Gerrard’s team?

£80m+ plus spent, three of the top earners at the club being brought in by Gerrard (Digne, Coutinho, Kamara - not sure if Carlos is on the same sort of money). Not yet his team in your opinion, ok that’s fine.

How many transfer windows, players brought in, how much money spent is it before you would consider it to be Gerrard’s team? This time next year, having spent the same again?

If Gerrard has to sign players to be capable of coaching them, he's a chequebook manager, and a really poor excuse for one... Gerrard presumably chose for quality (or at least high paid big profile, if lacking in quality when we need it players) over churn. 

He has shown himself to be incapable of serving up quality football - and in fact signed players that have made the team worse. Its madness but his only good streak was before he'd been allowed to sign a single person. The club is cycling backwards and the expectations he seems to have established are significantly lower than his predecessor but the wage bill much much higher. 

• Like 2

Yet another strike against this hire if we with Gerrard brought in a head coach who can only work with players he brought in himself. I know he signed 38 player during his time at Rangers but if that's what he needs to get a tune out of the squad we are in for a even more dismal time. 

17 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just out of interest, when would it become Gerrard’s team?

£80m+ plus spent, three of the top earners at the club being brought in by Gerrard (Digne, Coutinho, Kamara - not sure if Carlos is on the same sort of money). Not yet his team in your opinion, ok that’s fine.

How many transfer windows, players brought in, how much money spent is it before you would consider it to be Gerrard’s team? This time next year, having spent the same again?

It's so illogical, it basically gets Gerrard off scot-free no matter what.  I swear he doesn't even think coaching is a thing.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dale said:

Oh poor him having to work with Martinez, Mings, Cash, Luiz, Ramsey, Watkins, Ings, Buendia... Life must be so hard. They're all unworthy of his management? 

what on earth are you talking about.

Many teams have good players, even great players, but wrong fit....I think you are interpreting my comments, wrong.....anyway, some have not been as convincing,as they should be IMO.

How many top managers have Man Utd crashed and burned, always their fault.....some of the best managers in world football, doubted, and dumped.

I am not suggesting SG is blame free, but equally don't think its all his fault either.

We’re three unbeaten and conceded just one goal (which was against City, given their scoring rate that’s really not too shabby), neither Southampton or Leeds caused us many issues in defence. 

We just need to get it going at the other end now, we created the chances to beat Leeds, Watkins wasted most of them but on another day Coutinho’s effort goes in off the post and we’re all a lot happier. 

We don’t look good at the moment, but we do look solid, we’re missing 4 key players too. If someone said ‘here’s a better manager, who’s willing to take over and I’ve seen into the future that they’re successful’ - sign me up. But in the absence of that we might as well, oh I don’t know, get behind the team? 

• Like 2

Again on Talksport they are saying Bruno Lage's sacking was a bit harsh as he didn't really have a recognised striker with Jiminez out, but says it happens unfortunately. I thought, what about our man Gerrard, 2 strikers and still can't score, surely that justifies the sack then, or not cause he's a media darling.

I've also realised with Gerrard obviously wanting the Liverpool job, which Purslow would know, he was obviously appointed to learn his trade with us, until he was good enough for the LIverpool job, which in reality is bonkers from Purslow.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Oh poor him having to work with Martinez, Mings, Cash, Luiz, Ramsey, Watkins, Ings, Buendia... Life must be so hard. They're all unworthy of his management? 

Plus the 10 (TEN) players he has signed since he became Villa manager.

• Like 1

Â