Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

How can anyone think Gerrards going to have any cup success? If we get Liverpool, city, United, Chelsea we’re done. 

We have United in the next round of the league cup

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Steven is very insecure regarding his managerial ability and this shows clearly when someone questions his decisions.

THIS! Never thought it myself but now that you've mentioned it, it's so obvious. The thing is, as a leader he needs to show confidence, assertiveness, planning and erm, leadership with brains. He doesn't do any of this from what I've seen... Obviously there is a lot we don't see but there's also evidence we do see on match day, and it does paint a picture of a group of people who are unsure.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Beating Southampton 1-0 and drawing with Leeds who had ten men for 45 minutes, is this the results he’s got? Am I missing something 

Go back to after the West Ham game  and read the predictions people made about the upcoming games - we were losing all of them. "Gerrard isn't pragmatic enough" "he can't adapt". Then Gerrard addresses the slump, pretty or not but is vilified - that is the truth. People are upset he hasn't folded up. Smith folded up last season without Grealish, like it or lump it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Go back to after the West Ham game  and read the predictions people made about the upcoming games - we were losing all of them. "Gerrard isn't pragmatic enough" "he can't adapt". Then Gerrard addresses the slump, pretty or not but is vilified - that is the truth. People are upset he hasn't folded up. Smith folded up last season without Grealish, like it or lump it.

Never been the issue.

Issue is he has literally no idea to set up a midfield. He starts both McGinn and Ramsey and we struggle to hold quality (key word) possession literally all game.

30 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Do you genuinely believe Gerrard can win a cup? He’s shown zero evidence that he can. 

Do I think Villa can win a cup? Yes. We have a good squad of players. Can we beat a top four team in a one off game? Yes. I believe so.  We have a chance of winning a cup this season, just like other teams - nothing been decided.  

Have we been knocked out of a cup competition this season? No.

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

Do I think Villa can win a cup? Yes. We have a good squad of players. Can we beat a top four team in a one off game? Yes. I believe so.  We have a chance of winning a cup this season, just like other teams - nothing been decided.  

We struggle to beat (or even not lose to) top 8 teams under Steven, let alone top four.

Edited by Tom13

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

If we were getting short term relative success, or looking like getting it, then giving the young players some game time would be getting nothing more than a passing mention. That isn't even close to being the case though is it. So we are getting no short term success and we are seeing pretty much zero game time for any of our very promising young prospects so you can't even pin your hopes on thinking well we are standing still but x,y,z young player are being developed nicely, look decent and it bodes well for a brighter future in 18 months time. 

I don't know what the vision is at the club now frankly. Smith was sacked 12 months ago with Purslow stating "we have not seen the continuous improvement in results, performances and league position". What is Gerrard being judged on? if it is results then there has been no improvement, if it is performances then they have been clueless and fans would have to scratch their head if they had to describe what our style of play is, if it is league position then we find ourselves pretty much where he found us. 

Fair enough. Your issues are with Purslow and Lange more than Gerrard I think. 

4 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Gerrard couldnt win a cointoss if it was a two headed coin never mind an actual trophy

He couldnt even win a cup at Rangers

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gerrard couldnt win a cointoss if it was a two headed coin never mind an actual trophy

He couldnt even win a cup at Rangers

Gerrard did a good job at Rangers given the context of where Rangers were at the time he took over. He won the league and left them top of the league when he left. 

It's ironic in a way to me when someone labels Gerrard as a poison it is both way over the top and unjust.

Equally we have some really poisonous fans, the ones who never gave him a chance and we're vehemently against his appointment from the beginning.

It really clouds your mind it would seem.

And yet here we are, again....repeat, repeat, repeat....

22 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Gerrard can’t beat a top team, so the the rest is irrelevant. You’re right we didn’t lose to Bolton, only went 1-0 down with a 250 million pound first team on the pitch, I’m struggling to share the positivity 

4 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Gerrard did a good job at Rangers given the context of where Rangers were at the time he took over. He won the league and left them top of the league when he left. 

One thing I’ll never do is discredit his achievement at rangers, but one trophy out of 9 having signed 25+ players is questionable. He couldn’t win a cup in Scotland and were to believe he’s going to win a cup with us? No chance 

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's ironic in a way to me when someone labels Gerrard as a poison it is both way over the top and unjust.

Equally we have some really poisonous fans, the ones who never gave him a chance and we're vehemently against his appointment from the beginning.

It really clouds your mind it would seem.

And yet here we are, again....repeat, repeat, repeat....

I wasn't against him from the off, in fact I quite liked him at first. He's since shown himself to be clueless. He makes baffling decisions continuously, even when the correct decision to make is staring him in the face. He's not playing our most entertaining and technically gifted players, he is draining the fanbase and the club.

His words, which I admit I was also quite impressed with at first, stop at being just words, they're empty and not backed up. It's even more obvious when he repeats the same phrases over and over.

• Like 1

Just now, Villa_Vids said:

My point is if Smith had got the results against West Ham & Southampton - he would have got the time to kick on. Smith would have been rightfully praised for his pragmatism. 

Gerrard improved the team significant in both January and the summer and we’ve not improved in any way though 

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Gerrard can’t beat a top team, so the the rest is irrelevant. You’re right we didn’t lose to Bolton, only went 1-0 down with a 250 million pound first team on the pitch, I’m struggling to share the positivity 

We will see. We beat Bolton 4-1. Through to the next round. If we had lost then your point is justified. It is not positivity just reality and facts.

14 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I wasn't against him from the off, in fact I quite liked him at first. He's since shown himself to be clueless. He makes baffling decisions continuously, even when the correct decision to make is staring him in the face. He's not playing our most entertaining and technically gifted players, he is draining the fanbase and the club.

His words, which I admit I was also quite impressed with at first, stop at being just words, they're empty and not backed up. It's even more obvious when he repeats the same phrases over and over.

Many thought we played quite well against Leeds especially first-half. It is a match we should have won in retrospect.

And to query your other point Gerrard is playing our most gifted player in games, Coutinho.

Buendia is also a player who should be playing if that is who you mean, so I do agree with you there.

Â