Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t necessarily want Gerrard to have been seething all this time. But I’d like to think that he may have come to a realisation about his limitations, and I’d really like to think that those who championed him (Murphy, Carragher, etc) look at what his successor managed to do, take stock and reconsider or at least qualify the “winner’s mentality”/“he knows the premier league”/“it’s the players at fault” style rhetoric when Gerrard and similar profile individuals are in the frame for top jobs. It would make them better pundits.

Reasoned genuine and balanced post.

pitchforks-and-torches-angry-villagers.g

This is VT - BURN HIM!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For what it’s worth I think sports fans hating an individual or club is more or less as irrational as them loving an individual or club.

I think most sports fans get into the sport by following a particular team/individual so forming an attachment makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than the other way round.

i.e: I would describe myself as an Aston Villa fan, not, say, a “not-Liverpool” fan

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Do you remember about a month after he was sacked, he posted a video on his social media. He had edited together every goal he'd ever scored against Villa.

Call it a lack of professionalism, or immaturity or just being a tit. But that' hardly going to endear him to Villa fans is it? Especially after his disastrous spell as manager in which he seemed to divide the dressing room, cause animosity between the fans and the club and dissolve all of the good spirit and positivity that Dean Smith had created during his time in charge.

I don't remember that, anyone got a link to it? 

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Name something you like about Liverpool or any related Liverpool player...!

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7icn644ovpwnsv4q2j2

I’ve always hated Liverpool, more so than small heath tbh. And yes, I’m comfortable using the word ‘hate’ in this context because for me, football is entertainment that allows an emotional response that I wouldn’t otherwise explore at work or in the supermarket, for example.

Gerrard is an idiot in my view, I don’t like what he did to our club in the short time he was here. It’s been well covered in this thread so I don’t need to drill into the details. I’m comfortable to say I can’t stand him, even though I’ve never met him. I can make the judgment from what I’ve seen. I wouldn’t be so quick to judge in real life, but this is different, it’s football, it’s entertainment, and it’s tribal. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Do you remember about a month after he was sacked, he posted a video on his social media. He had edited together every goal he'd ever scored against Villa.

Call it a lack of professionalism, or immaturity or just being a tit. But that' hardly going to endear him to Villa fans is it? Especially after his disastrous spell as manager in which he seemed to divide the dressing room, cause animosity between the fans and the club and dissolve all of the good spirit and positivity that Dean Smith had created during his time in charge.

My word is this true? That's a shameful lack of class. What an idiot (if true). I already dislike him a lot because he was a charlatan blagging his way as a manager and destroying us in the process. I know it wasn't his fault he was offered the job, but still.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

Slight sideways jump, but BT Sport are showing previous CL final highlights in the run up to the weekend, and last night they showed the Liverpool v AC Milan game in 2005.

I idly watched it again. Everyone marvelled at the comeback at the time, but watching it again, they should never have won it. Gerrard f***ing dived for their regular time penalty. It wasn't playing up a foul. There was no contact. At all. 

They have been dining out on that night for years, and they only won because Gerrard cheated.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I think most sports fans get into the sport by following a particular team/individual so forming an attachment makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than the other way round.

i.e: I would describe myself as an Aston Villa fan, not, say, a “not-Liverpool” fan

Oh I would say they all do. Well, as much as makes no difference.

But I think a lot of people form a hatred/dislike as a result of that initial positive attachment. I’m not sure how much I would loathe small heath if I didn’t support Villa (I like to think I’d dislike them a little bit regardless, but we’ll never know).

With individuals like Gerrard I can see the reasoning as “that person did/said something negative against the team I care about” or “that person made the thing I care about worse and I don’t think they care as much as I do + got paid a fortune for it + he will end up with another good job doing it all again”.

And also the evergreen reasoning of “I simply don’t like the cut of his jib”.

For my own part finding themselves in another relatively good job (which Gerrard might, we don’t know) is one of the reasons why I would target Bruce with (fairly) light hearted criticism or ridicule. Because there’s a factor of “He’s bloody well doing it again isn’t he? Look at him go!” If his career path after us was more akin to say Lambert’s there would be less to work with and so I would probably wouldn’t have critiqued him as much. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bobzy said:

There's not really an argument!  I find it utterly bizarre that people channel so much hate into a sport.

(...and as predicted, you had nothing ;))

Its part of why its so popular.

Its all a pantomime without love and hate and cheering and booing its 22 men kicking a ball around a pitch.

• Like 2

I thought it was just a video of goals he'd scored in general....

Either way, maybe he's looked enough people in the eye to convince them he's good for another attempt at management... Looked them in the eye and convinced them he's capable of getting those moments of magic.

Gerrard is the worst Villa manager of all time.

I will never forget when he said Chelsea should be coming to Villa Park wiping the floor with us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Gerrard is the worst Villa manager of all time.

I will never forget when he said Chelsea should be coming to Villa Park wiping the floor with us.

He should have been sacked on the spot when he said that. 

Â