Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Got to admit, I think Klopp was trying to prove a point as well, slight hints of Billy big bollox ( As is his right to do )

As i said, i'm sure i heard him say in his post match that he " Saw the weakness in the diamond we play " or something like that.

Then obviously went on to moan about the decisions.

Let's be real though, Klopp is Klopp, and Liverpool are Liverpool they can bring on a Thiago and a Salah etc.

Gerrard is a learning Manager, but I like his attitude.

I like his attitude too. Most winners are pretty cutthroat.

I’d rather have a pint with Deano, but I’d rather have SG as manager to push for Europe

I think Gerrard is being as honest as he can be without getting into trouble and receiving a fine. Rightly he’s fuming because we were playing against twelve men for most of the night.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well I am critical of him tonight.

That first sub was a major and avoidable mistake that may have cost us the draw at least.

And moving one of our best players at that stage to a position he cannot play. 

And not starting Buendia, our best player, in order to justify the signing of Coutinho.

This made be chuckle a little at the idea of a manager having to “justify the signing of Coutinho.”

Yeh, really desperate backs against the wall stuff, that.

It’s a reminder of how far divorced from reality some of these criticisms of Gerrard are.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

Great performance last night, Gerrard has overcome the "ings and watkins cant play together" statement.  We went toe to toe with the best team possibly in Europe. If we had taken the chances we should of been equal. If we carry on this form next season we will be in 9th position once point from 8th. So even tho it sometimes looks bad on the pitch, results wise we are where we should be under gerrard. 

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

If we carry on this form next season we will be in 9th position

Mouth-watering! 9TH!! If we somehow achieve this miracle I'll paint AV across the front of the house just like my dad did back in '82. Good times are here again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Here's the video

I do love the way he handles the press i must admit. Dont take no shit from them. That reporter was blatently trying to get gerrard in trouble to get a headline 

3 hours ago, messi11 said:

Great performance last night, Gerrard has overcome the "ings and watkins cant play together" statement.  We went toe to toe with the best team possibly in Europe. If we had taken the chances we should of been equal. If we carry on this form next season we will be in 9th position once point from 8th. So even tho it sometimes looks bad on the pitch, results wise we are where we should be under gerrard. 

Cracks , over, painted !

Edited by hippo
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

This made be chuckle a little at the idea of a manager having to “justify the signing of Coutinho.”

Yeh, really desperate backs against the wall stuff, that.

It’s a reminder of how far divorced from reality some of these criticisms of Gerrard are.

Coutinho has the reputation and the name, but Buendia at this stage of their respective careers is the better player.

I am surprised you cannot see that.

Different if we did not have Buendia, in which case I would love to have Coutinho, but I think of who is best for Aston Villa, and Coutinho has not been consistent enough.

He is keeping our best player out of the side.

And I stand by what I posted. Gerrard is playing Coutinho in order to justify his signing. If Gerrard really believes Coutinho is better for us at this stage than Buendia, then I would have grave doubts about him.

However, I do not believe that someone like Gerrard can be that daft, so I can only believe that he is trying to justify his signing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

It's a nice stat. And we've equally had good and bad periods so is probably a fair reflection on him.

Have to admit though that we had a real and stereotypical 'New Manager Bounce' in those first few games with Gerrard that really helps that stat.

I'd be interested to see if the headline is similar when we look at February onwards - once the bounce is over, he'd had a transfer window and nearly everyone was back fit and he'd had time to embed his style (somewhat) on the players.

I'd anticipate the headline isn't anywhere near as glamourous as Top 8...but also it's possible to argue that picking a half time frame of his period here potentially changes the story to match my own personal belief on his performance so far.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

It's a nice stat. And we've equally had good and bad periods so is probably a fair reflection on him.

Have to admit though that we had a real and stereotypical 'New Manager Bounce' in those first few games with Gerrard that really helps that stat.

I'd be interested to see if the headline is similar when we look at February onwards - once the bounce is over, he'd had a transfer window and nearly everyone was back fit and he'd had time to embed his style (somewhat) on the players.

I'd anticipate the headline isn't anywhere near as glamourous as Top 8...but also it's possible to argue that picking a half time frame of his period here potentially changes the story to match my own personal belief on his performance so far.

Yeah it's probably best to use the full picture. And I'm also loathe to ignore his first few months here as we were playing lovely football.

Also it's weird that it's always being compared to our first 10-12 games. Not really much to compare there. Small sample size with a ton of extenuating circumstances.

• Like 1

Â