Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

If you're winning it doesn't matter - hell we'd have liked McLeish if he'd got us 4th and won the FA cup. !!!!

Liking/not liking Gerrard only becomes an issue if he isn't winning. Being a former Liverpool hero - I think the fans might turn slightly quicker.

But his popularity or otherwise is a sideshow to results on the pitch.

Why though? We aren't rivals with Liverpool. This is getting silly now, just get bloody behind him. 😆 He is "all in" for Villa now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Why though? We aren't rivals with Liverpool. This is getting silly now, just get bloody behind him. 😆 He is "all in" for Villa now.

Why is he a former Liverpool hero ?

Scored lots of goals and won a few cups for them helps I suppose 

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

Why would that make the fans turn quicker? 

The bit you highlighted was 

"Being a former Liverpool hero"

Does it really matter why ? - his points haul since arriving is decent. Rightly or wrongly and imo he has a higher amount of decenters v the results 

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He is a Liverpool fan will will smile happily if they win the league.

He is Aston Villa manager and will do his utmost to beat Liverpool tomorrow.

Both these things can be true.

Of course he will.

Aston Villa pay his wages and going easy on his former club would surely be in breach of some guidelines/laws. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

The bit you highlighted was 

"Being a former Liverpool hero"

Does it really matter why ? - his points haul since arriving is decent. Rightly or wrongly and imo he has a higher amount of decenters v the results 

Forgive my error. It doesn't matter much, I just think if it stems from him playing for/or being a legend at Liverpool - it is a bit stupid. A bad manager is a bad manager regardless of history. I actually disagree with your assessment - I think it is indifference rather than "dissenters" - mainly because Smith was very popular and we are still coming to terms with Jack leaving, whilst also integrating a cluster of new players who haven't hit the ground running. It has been a lukewarm season.

Edited by Villa_Vids

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Forgive my error. It doesn't matter much, I just think if it stems from him playing for/or being a legend at Liverpool - it is a bit stupid. A bad manager is a bad manager regardless of history. I actually disagree with your assessment - I think it is indifference rather than "dissenters" - mainly because Smith was very popular and we are still coming to terms with Jack leaving, whilst also integrating a cluster of new players who haven't hit the ground running. It has been a lukewarm season.

Like I say the reasons why don't matter. It is what it is. 

Indifference/dissenters - again I don't think it matters.

• Like 1

Talking to an ex-Rangers player (played in that 9 in a row team) and he was asking me what I thought of Gerrard. As we were chewing the cud he said one of the biggest problems with Gerrard at Rangers towards the end was that he was losing the dressing-room. I asked him if that was just his opinion or media reports in Scotalnd and he said that he still has connections at the club and was what they said to him. He does come across like a manager who will have his favourites - I've always seen him as a manager who needs to buy for success and wouldn't be able to manage without money (most other managers have done the hard yards without money before getting to the elite clubs -and with that cliques may set in in the dressing-room, those that 'his players' and those that are not. It was just an observation I had from outsode looking in and may be baseless and inaccurate; however, it was interesting to hear the Rangers guy say what he had to (I'll obviously caveat that with that we don't know what had gone on behind the scenes at rangers and Gerrard may have been the one in the right and the bad eggs may have been the player(s)).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Was just about to post that. Surprising read.

Not really that surprising. Martinez, Mings, Targett, Konsa, Luiz and McGinn all missed games in the opening 11 games of the season for one reason or another and we played a different backline nearly every week

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Was just about to post that. Surprising read.

Not that surprising Smith’s numbers for this season were bad considering missing players and most of all the constant experimenting with the backline. But surprising Gerrard’s figures are that good, relatively speaking, as 4th or 5th best in those categories.

Would’ve been interesting to see comparisons between Villa last season and this season too.

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not really that surprising. Martinez, Mings, Targett, Konsa, Luiz and McGinn all missed games in the opening 11 games of the season for one reason or another and we played a different backline nearly every week

Would you consider yourself to be a glass half empty person?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Don't think we can look at the period which Smith lost his job in vs the "new manager bounce" of Gerrards period fairly. 

What is interesting however is just the stats under Gerrard. That shows we have improved and are in a good position vs peers in the League. 

Another thing I like is that only Chelsea (3-1) and Spurs (4-0) have we lost by more than 1 goal under Gerrard. Spurs was an odd game as we really should have been leading at half time. While Chelsea got a very late penalty to get their 3rd. 

We are in games, we have given away some very very soft goals which has cost us points. I think we are a few signings and some luck away from being a top 7 side. Our front 3 are clicking well in the last 10 games too

Â