Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, hippo said:

I don't think anyone is expecting Gerrard to depart before next season. 

Fast forward to Aug 6 

"It's one game" 

"The players haven't gelled" 

Or Even 

"Gomez is injured" 😃

See this is the typical nonsense from the section of support on here against the manager, criticism of things that haven’t even happened.

By all means criticise the late subs, the perseverance with players who are out of form or the reluctance to bring Buendia into the side regularly, but you have to stop these comments about what you think he will do, or at least the way they come across.

This is a message board, and of course it is fine to discuss what may happen, but you can’t criticise him for things that you have already decided will happen before they actually have.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

only seven teams have averaged more points per game than us since he came in.

I can't deny the results this season. I just hate he only delivers a watchable performance once every 4 matches. Hopefully he can install the high press this off-season and we kick on. 

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

See this is the typical nonsense from the section of support on here against the manager, criticism of things that haven’t even happened.

By all means criticise the late subs, the perseverance with players who are out of form or the reluctance to bring Buendia into the side regularly, but you have to stop these comments about what you think he will do, or at least the way they come across.

This is a message board, and of course it is fine to discuss what may happen, but you can’t criticise him for things that you have already decided will happen before they actually have.

Point was there will always be excuses for Stevie G.

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I can't deny the results this season. I just hate he only delivers a watchable performance once every 4 matches. Hopefully he can install the high press this off-season and we kick on. 

i think/hope we're just in a transitional phase. With a few more additions (especially in midfield) we might start showing more of a style next season, that Gerrard is after. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

This is a pretty good one to be fair....

7 minutes ago, useless said:

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Gerrard deservers a full season based on this stat alone. 
I'm not enjoying watching Villa play at the moment. its difficult to watch. Its a lot more fun when Buendia is on the field. I'd say we totally need a new midfield, Luiz, Mcginn and Nakamba is still the same midfield from our first season back in the PL. We need to upgrade on all 3. There is big work to be done. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

There is zero point to what you posted. None of those things have been said or happened have they?

Like I said, criticise him for what he has done if you have nothing positive to say, but stop making things up to snipe at him about.

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

But we have better players now than we had finishing 11th last season other than Grealish going, we've bought in 5 quality players, El Ghazi and Traore were playing for us last season, Ramsey was nowhere near as good. 

How many Palace players get in our team? Gallagher, Zaha, one of the CBs perhaps. Yet they were the much better side for much of the game on our own patch, that really is on the manager I'm sorry.

Yet we beat Palace on their patch. 4 points off them this season. We're inconsistent, as are Palace. Mid team teams doing mid table things. Vieira has done a good job to be fair. I do think we are generally shit at home for some reason, and it's a theme that has run through lots of managers. We just seem more comfortable away from VP. 

Today was an end of season performance. I hope we can play better on Thursday, but the real test is next season. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

What was the criticism from Rangers fans? The team he won the league with, unbeaten?

As I recall, some random bloke, who probably wasn’t even really a Rangers fan, this being the Internet we are talking about, claimed he had no plan b for the 32 matches he won.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I will be really annoyed if we are still putting these performances after he's had a full pre season.

And that is fine, I will be too. He’s being backed well financially, better than any Aston Villa manager in history.

Just give him a bit of time to get it right, and like I said mate - critique of what he does is fair game, but you have to stop knocking him for what you think WILL happen.

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

And that is fine, I will be too. He’s being backed well financially, better than any Aston Villa manager in history.

Just give him a bit of time to get it right, and like I said mate - critique of what he does is fair game, but you have to stop knocking him for what you think WILL happen.

Bit of time ?

I thought it was until after he'd had a full pre season ? 

Just now, hippo said:

Bit of time ?

I thought it was until after he'd had a full pre season ? 

Well yeah I guess a bit of time is open to interpretation 😂 But I expect us to be at it from the first game of next season if I’m honest. I expect 9th as a minimum next season (at least providing some challenge for European football), and with the level of investment that our owners are providing I would imagine they would feel very similarly.

• Thanks 1

Gerrards been a solid appointment.  Steered us clear from relegation zone and now pushing for top 10.

Its noway perfect still alot of room to improve but i think we are heading in right direction 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Gerrards been a solid appointment.  Steered us clear from relegation zone and now pushing for top 10.

Its noway perfect still alot of room to improve but i think we are heading in right direction 

Next step is to steer us above Brentford

• Like 1

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

I thought we played well against Man United in the fa cup, we lost the game but played some nice footy. Strange that in most of our wins under gerrard its being very meh

I've said a few times we look best under Stevie G when our energy levels are high...either  

In the first 15-20 minutes of games 

Or chasing a game from a losing position. 

It's concerning for me that we have no method of controlling again or out witting an opponent. 

• Like 1

Â