Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

You see a performance like todays and it's night and day to some of the dross we've seen in recent months, everyone working hard, pressing and keeping their heads and composure, good shape and discipline.

If we can keep that up, his doubters will change their mind, even if it doesn't always bring wins, the fact we compete and look good doing so is 50% of the battle.

Playing Chambers as a holding midfielder was inspired, i just hope he never benches Buendia again (unless tired/injured).

27 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Our new manager took hold of the team when they were 17th and had lost 5 in a row, he also hasnt had a proper transfer window.

It must be confusing for the anti-Gerrard crowd because he's done a better job in spite of those two snags.

You might have an argument if 11th this season got 55 points but they won’t so your argument doesn’t stand up. 😉

55 points would most likely get 8th this season.

Edited by nick76

If I've worked it out right we're averaging 1.4347826087 points a game since Gerrard came in, which over a 38 game season works out to 55 points.

If it wasn't for Wolves injury time equalizer today we would have been eight in the table based on games since Gerrard was appointed, even now we're nineth in that table, just a point off Wolves having played a game less than them.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you are right to suggest we don't go overboard, but....

They are fighting for their lives and on the back of 3 wins,  we are midtable and semi safe....that was set up for a banana skin.

I thought there was some good things from us today, despite the sloppy positioning to deny us the clean sheet.....The 3 moments leading to the 3 goals were class, as is usually the case, as we don't do many tap ins......but the game management was a step up imo.

Turf Moor, is not an easy place to go, when they are facing relegation.....I thought some of our work was professional like, today.

I agree it’s farcical we’re expected to turn up at Turf Moor and just turn Burnley over. They were on a good run , 3-1 away is a good result it was a better performance and the team looked more balanced. 
I really feel thou if SG dragged us into the top 4 it just wouldn’t be good enough for some. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Our new manager took hold of the team when they were 17th and had lost 5 in a row, he also hasnt had a proper transfer window.

It must be confusing for the anti-Gerrard crowd because he's done a better job in spite of those two snags.

Even so - your original point was that  people opposed to Gerrard  were confused. I don't agree.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

You're seriously comparing point totals from different seasons? 🤣

You're seriously comparing league positions from different seasons? 😂  it’s the same bloody argument you are making.  In any other season 55 points would’ve got 7th or 8th position but you are trying mental gymnastics to try and prove your point.  We earnt 55 points, that was a big achievement and deserved more than 11th but wasn’t meant to be.  11th this season won’t get anywhere near 55 points this season.

You want to compare things from different seasons that suit your argument but not things that don’t suit your argument.  Positions in the league are impacted by so many things but points are earnt by wins and draws you get, that you earn, arguably a better comparison outside of winning something or being relegated.  

Just because you don’t agree because it doesn’t suit your narrative doesn’t mean it’s mental gymnastics.

16 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I really feel thou if SG dragged us into the top 4 it just wouldn’t be good enough for some. 

Just silly.  Surely you understand why some have concerns.  If SG dragged us to fourth, those concerns wouldn’t be there.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dale said:

It's a bit tiresome to talk about this... However, there was a massive amount of change in the summer, a disrupted pre season and injuries at the start of the season. So both head coaches had extenuating circumstances over the course of the season (Gerrard has had a better squad available throughout). 

Gerrard has not set the world alight, nor has he stunk the place out on balance (perfectly legitimate for people to be concerned some of the positives are driven by a new manager bounce). 

Today was the most balanced we've looked so far. And it was a bit of a happy accident in terms of starting 11. Valuable lesson today, and promising signs. 

I agree

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Really? What is our budget to Brentford. Its an embarrassing loss if honest 

If that's all it boils down to, why do we bother with playing any matches at all?

We should just plot budgets on a spreadsheet and use that as the league table.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

All that matters is league position? 😂 best joke I’ve heard all week!

Of course it is, if we finished second last year and finished first this year with less points. Would it not count? 

Absolutely nobody would be saying it was regression if you finish higher up the league. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

If that's all it boils down to, why do we bother with playing any matches at all?

We should just plot budgets on a spreadsheet and use that as the league table.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.R2uuPqOe5o88_lBwhoPLaQHaEo%26pid%3DApi&f=1

I liked Smith but he was limited, I thought also he was too nice.

Gerrard is different, although he still is a rookie we can see signs of progress and will not suffer fools gladly. The players will respect his status, experience in the game and it helps Villa attract better players.

Hopefully a preseason will help everyone gel, create some unity and with a few quality additions perhaps with a huge slice of luck be in the running for a European place next season.

In all honesty looking at the table there isn't much at all between 7/8 and 14th, Villa just have to be better than the rest and stop losing games we should be winning (Watford x2, Brentford and Newcastle). If we'd won those Villa would be seventh and three points clear of Wet Spam.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

If I've worked it out right we're averaging 1.4347826087 points a game since Gerrard came in, which over a 38 game season works out to 55 points.

Good because I think that's about the threshold for having a good season next year.

Performances, passing, and no shit formations please Steven.

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I liked Smith but he was limited, I thought also he was too nice.

Gerrard is different, although he still is a rookie we can see signs of progress and will not suffer fools gladly. The players will respect his status, experience in the game and it helps Villa attract better players.

Hopefully a preseason will help everyone gel, create some unity and with a few quality additions perhaps with a huge slice of luck be in the running for a European place next season.

In all honesty looking at the table there isn't much at all between 7/8 and 14th, Villa just have to be better than the rest and stop losing games we should be winning (Watford x2, Brentford and Newcastle). If we'd won those Villa would be seventh and three points clear of Wet Spam.

Does Gerrard not suffer from fool as well? I can think of a few players that would not be regulars in my team but Gerrard has his mates, though McGinn played well today he is a liability

He is not the only one

Â