Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

So pleasing - was very very concerned 2 games ago, but clearly SG is flexible and able to turn things around when needed - superb traits in a manager and while we won't make Europe, we will end this season strong and I can't flippin wait for next season. 

• Like 2

I am still well and truly in the pro-Gerrard camp.

He has been a breath of fresh air to the club…

He is relatively new to the management gig and has been (in the grand scheme of things) successful at it thus far…

We are his first Premier League managerial appointment, he took over from a Holte End favourite (not an enviable task), has made some incredibly impressive signings, is working on getting players playing the way he wants them to and shown some shrewd tactical nous…

Yes, some of the results have been a bit shit, but it’s a learning curve…

Lets see this season out and give the bloke a summer to further put his stamp on the team

• Like 3

Very pleased Gerrard has gone back to instilling performances akin to when he first arrived. Kept things simple. What impressed me today was seeing how he changed things up to nullify our opponent’s style and threat. More of the same please Steven. 

5 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

First game I went to in ages today, the tactics worked but I do worry it won't work very often. He wants to change us to a possession based team but we had 35% last week against Brighton and 38% today, there's still an issue with passing the ball through midfield and we are playing a lot of long balls. Time will tell, needed the win though. 

Agree with this and Gerrard did mention it in his post match interview, so it's something he is cognizant of.

• Like 1

The last 2 performances were much more like when he first arrived and I'm glad he's turned it around as he was under a lot of pressure after the Watford debacle.

Still disappointed that we have only taken 7 points from the last 5 in what was a pretty kind run for us (I was looking for 10-13 points to move us up the table and think that was realistic after the Everton win), but very relieved to have won the last 2 against top half opposition.

Think we are still a team that looks dangerous when we have less of the ball and can rely on quick transitions. When we have more of the ball and teams sit back both the team and the manager seem to be lost on what to do to break teams down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Think we are still a team that looks dangerous when we have less of the ball and can rely on quick transitions. When we have more of the ball and teams sit back both the team and the manager seem to be lost on what to do to break teams down.

This is exactly it. When we, under Gerrard, have focused on having a tight shape and let the other team have most of the ball, we’ve done well. Or yesterday, incredibly well. We have quality.

When we’ve played lesser teams and Gerrard has felt the need to dominate possession, we’ve been very vulnerable in transitions and also incapable of breaking down teams that park the bus.

Another PL team in the same situation currently are Spurs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The last 2 performances were much more like when he first arrived and I'm glad he's turned it around as he was under a lot of pressure after the Watford debacle.

Last 2 results have been good but I don't think he was under any pressure after Watford? Maybe a few extreme posters on here, who want the manager sacked after every defeat, but i'm sure the owners and CEO weren't putting him under pressure after 12 games. 

They obviously see something in him and they're not going to make rash decisions before he's had a fair amount of time and a summer transfer window. :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Last 2 results have been good but I don't think he was under any pressure after Watford? Maybe a few extreme posters on here, who want the manager sacked after every defeat, but i'm sure the owners and CEO weren't putting him under pressure after 12 games. 

They obviously see something in him and they're not going to make rash decisions before he's had a fair amount of time and a summer transfer window. :)

He would have been if we'd kept on losing after Watford and put ourselves in a relegation battle which should not be happening with the players we've got.

It still feels like a bit of a missed opportunity because had we won games we should have instead of losing we'd now be up in 7th or 8th.

Think it's harsh and a bit disingenuous to say a fan is 'extreme' if they start to question someone's ability after some poor results (not just one) and losing to likes of Brentford, Newcastle and Watford in quick succession. But it shows he's got the ability to fix things as he has done the last 2 games.

Personally I feel like Mat Kendrick was right when he said after the game yesterday that when this team clicks we can beat anyone. I'm still bemused how some were questioning the quality of our players a few weeks ago. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

Really impressive. Glad sense has been seen with the formation. Two wins from two since putting players back in their position.

Leeds played a very high pressing 4-4-2 as well first game under Marsch...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Loved his response to the question about him trying to build a similar side to Liverpool. Spot on, Stevie. 

He has been here 3/4 months and it seems every bloody press conference they are brought up

20 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Loved his response to the question about him trying to build a similar side to Liverpool. Spot on, Stevie. 

What did he say?

He's slapped so many questions away about Liverpool. His words in public are absolutely top top drawer IMO.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Still disappointed that we have only taken 7 points from the last 5 in what was a pretty kind run for us (I was looking for 10-13 points to move us up the table and think that was realistic after the Everton win), but very relieved to have won the last 2 against top half opposition.

Yep. Most goals are scored at pace. If we go back to passing it sideways at walking the number of goals we score will inevitably drop.

I amazed how people still don't get this - and want to "build from the back" or "possession based football".

Give me goals and wins all day long.

5 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

He would have been if we'd kept on losing after Watford and put ourselves in a relegation battle which should not be happening with the players we've got.

It still feels like a bit of a missed opportunity because had we won games we should have instead of losing we'd now be up in 7th or 8th.

Think it's harsh and a bit disingenuous to say a fan is 'extreme' if they start to question someone's ability after some poor results (not just one) and losing to likes of Brentford, Newcastle and Watford in quick succession. But it shows he's got the ability to fix things as he has done the last 2 games.

Personally I feel like Mat Kendrick was right when he said after the game yesterday that when this team clicks we can beat anyone. I'm still bemused how some were questioning the quality of our players a few weeks ago. 

We are a strange team. But I remind myself premier league inconsistency is a step up for us given our recent history. We are bobbling around like a midtable/lower midtable team.

I am happy to be looking back up again rather than down. Gerrard has impressed me so far. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What did he say?

He's slapped so many questions away about Liverpool. His words in public are absolutely top top drawer IMO.

I’m not sure I 100% believe him but he certainly says the right things.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Yes, some of the results have been a bit shit, but it’s a learning curve

It always surprises me, when we have a major change at the club, such as promotion, change of manager or big moves on the transfer front, that people generally all agree that the changes will take time to work themselves out and patience will be needed, only for some people, despite being vocal on the aforementioned need for patience, being quick to criticise after things not going how we’d all like them to in a relatively short period of time. Is it a modern life thing, where people want immediate gratification, or did they not really mean it when they called for patience in the first place. And yes, people have a right to criticise poor performances. 

On the subject of critics, has anyone seen @villalad21 since Bielsa fell into his own bucket? Perhaps he’s gone to Yorkshire to be with his own at this tragic time?

28 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

On the subject of critics, has anyone seen @villalad21 since Bielsa fell into his own bucket? Perhaps he’s gone to Yorkshire to be with his own at this tragic time?

@villalad21 seems to have disappeared since the end of January. I did suggest that he got transferred to Leeds, as a joke, but am starting to suspect he actually has! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â