Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Couldn’t have asked for more from a new manager. This feels very right

Gerrard is clearly football smart, he seems to have a clear (and positive!) philosophy and he seems to command the respect required to make the players perform at the top of their games. We look like a much better team than we did when he took over. I don’t think it’s all down to new manager bounce and luck - we’re onto a good thing here. Hell, I find myself even not hating that Scouse accent of his. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 2

The big difference is the discipline and everyone knowing their roles and what they need to do. We’ve become remarkably consistent under gerrard very quickly because there’s a very clear gameplan the players know each game

• Like 1

4 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Remember the "give Smith more time" brigade? They seem to have disappeared 🤣

Gerrard has won every game except narrow losses to two of the best sides in the world. He literally could not have done a better job so far.

Superb appointment and perfectly timed.

Yeah I wonder what could have transpired for this to happen. A great mystery.

• Haha 3

My favourite part of the Gerrard era so far is how we are out of possession. We are a proper difficult team to break down and it's because he seems to put emphasis in our shape and movement when we don't have the ball. It was a real shortcoming of the Smith era. He seemed almost more focused on playing the perfect attacking football to get the ball in the net. It's why we often looked so easy to play through, even at our swashbuckling best.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

yes many of us felt that the villa supporter who took us up, kept us up, and basically gave us our villa back had enough credit in the bank to stay on a bit longer. even more were sceptical as to whether gerrard was the right man to take over and was seen by many as no better than smith. go back a few dozen pages to when he was first linked. he was a largely unpopular appointment

the board rolled the dice, its worked out better than most could have possibly imagined and everyone concerned gets great credit

but there's no need to gloat like there was some small 'brigade' that thought smith should've stayed. a large number were rightly nervous about the appointment; but SG is doing a cracking job. long may it continue.

Came to post pretty much this but you said it so well yourself. 

38 minutes ago, sne said:

Lots of positives so far along with the results.

I really like that we are hitting the passes with a bit more pace and that the movement without ball seems more focused and with more purpose. Both these things leads to players having more options when on the ball. No players standing on their heels watching, they are actively moving and looking for the ball.

Bit OTT perhaps but it's almost as big an improvement as we saw when Smith took over from Bruce in this regard. 

Had Dean worked on this he'd probably still be here. Such an obvious part of our play that he was unable to see. The new guys had picked up on it and improved it in no time,, the lads will only get better too.

• Like 3

Our ball retention and winning the second ball have improved massively. The crisp & fast passing we do now is really pleasing to see. We also seem a more physical team winning more individual duels.

The improvement is even more impressive given the injury crisis Gerrard has had to manage.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

We should have won that - and we did - usually we come away regretting the draw or losing to a soft goal, it feels different now at Villa and that is due to SG. Even went for a wee on 65 mins and didn't worry we would concede.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

Â