Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 hours ago, av1 said:

I’ve said it before so apologies for repeating myself but the was he has used the squad has impressed me. Different personal in each game and all 3 subs used to good effect in each. 

The improvement in Nakamba itself is worthy of praise, is there a single fan on here that wouldn’t have snapped the arm off any club offering our money back on the guy? (Whatever we paid £8m?) If he can keep up his current form I’m not sure I’d except double that. 

Again it’s a small sample size but he is really impressing me. 

I think if we want to push for Europe we need better than Nakamba but I’ve always thought he is a good squad player and never lets us down when called upon. No chance I would’ve sold him for £8m or even double that. Players who as reliable as him don’t cost £10m nowadays, more like £20m +

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WHY said:

I think if we want to push for Europe we need better than Nakamba but I’ve always thought he is a good squad player and never lets us down when called upon. No chance I would’ve sold him for £8m or even double that. Players who as reliable as him don’t cost £10m nowadays, more like £20m +

Yeah agreed, he’s playing well (my MOTM last game) but he’s always been a decent squad player and I think that’s what he will likely continue to be. He wasn’t rubbish before and isn’t Kante now. 

7 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I cannot see upgrading Cash being a priority. 

I have thought about how Gerrard would handle the Argentinian situation. Where Dean said he didn’t want them to travel and the next minute they’re posting pics on the plane. Wonder whether that would play out the same.

I can see a challenger being a priority not an outright improvement as that will cost a fortune, same with Targett.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, villalad21 said:

One of the greatest thing about this appointment is that the whole can't play without Grealish thing has completely vanished. 

Totally agree and to be honest, when you see JG at City, he is doing nothing. Receives ball on left hand side, tries to suck defender or two in, then simply passes inside or back the way. Doesn’t move it quickly enough or be dynamic like other City players. Played better when he was more central in Watford game. Back on topic, looks like players are all taking more responsibility under SG rather than relying on an individual to take control of a game. 

He has brought sexy back to Villa after losing Jack. Its the perfect antidote to that whole saga. An even bigger name and face, its a huge bonus that Villa and Gerrard look a perfect fit right now. He knows what a huge opportunity this is with all the potential wen have as a club; I just get the impression he will drive us forward to the next level.

• Like 4

watched the villa tv from the sideline coverage thing today. one thing i noticed at final whistle is that rather than just shaking the players' hands, SG actually has a little word with every player, presumably immediate feedback on their performance. nice to see. no time like the present to deliver that feedback

• Like 4

On 05/12/2021 at 22:11, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Heres the full interview they showed bits from pre game yesterday

I absolutely love listening to him. There is zero messing about with him and knows exactly what he wants and needs to accomplish. Not that Dean was bad at it but it just feels quite new and refreshing. Feels like someone who can take us far.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

watched the villa tv from the sideline coverage thing today. one thing i noticed at final whistle is that rather than just shaking the players' hands, SG actually has a little word with every player, presumably immediate feedback on their performance. nice to see. no time like the present to deliver that feedback

I assume it’s more as he’s getting his methods into their heads than something he’ll do a year down the line but I’ve enjoyed seeing it as well as the players asking questions. Seen both Martinez and Konsa engaging in conversation with a straight face which seems to suggest tactical discussion rather than “yous were brilliant la” which is encouraging

• Like 4

As much as I want to get really excited by Gerrard I think I really am scarred by Sherwood. We had become a joke under Lambert and after he took over we managed to comfortably stay up and also got to a final.  I was foolish enough to believe we were in good hands, he just needed his own players for us to push on.

Now I know we’re in a much better situation now from top to bottom but I think I’ll continue to remain cautious for now.

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As much as I want to get really excited by Gerrard I think I really am scarred by Sherwood. We had become a joke under Lambert and after he took over we managed to comfortably stay up and also got to a final.  I was foolish enough to believe we were in good hands, he just needed his own players for us to push on.

Now I know we’re in a much better situation now from top to bottom but I think I’ll continue to remain cautious for now.

Sherwood always seemed like a charlatan though. His experience was half a season as a caretaker, didn't even have his UEFA pro licence iirc.

The parallels of getting an initial boost from taking over a side who had become a bit stale and reinvigorating their work ethic are there but this current set up has far more substance to their work than Sherwood's ever did.

I also don't think Gerrard has even mentioned that he needs his 'own players' in. That would be an excuse for the current ones to underperform and he doesn't seem to be willing to allow for any excuses at all for anyone. Sherwood was an excuse machine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Sherwood always seemed like a charlatan though. His experience was half a season as a caretaker, didn't even have his UEFA pro licence iirc.

The parallels of getting an initial boost from taking over a side who had become a bit stale and reinvigorating their work ethic are there but this current set up has far more substance to their work than Sherwood's ever did.

I also don't think Gerrard has even mentioned that he needs his 'own players' in. That would be an excuse for the current ones to underperform and he doesn't seem to be willing to allow for any excuses at all for anyone. Sherwood was an excuse machine.

All fair points. I think back then I didn’t really bother with off field stuff like press conferences and training clips etc. It was all about results.  

These days tend to follow the coaches a lot more. I think I have a lot more time on my hands nowadays.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sherwood depended mainly on Benteke, somehow Delph. It’s as Smith depending on Grealish (although it’s unfair to compare as we didn’t fell apart with Smith, we were just useless but still not that easy to lose). When a manager is depending on a player, that’s definitely when you get worried once he’s out. Sherwood worst moment and the most doubtful one was against Southampton (followed by the final). 
He played those game I can’t describe how bad the plans were. 
He didn’t do as bad in the next season, but he lost the whole mentality after that Leicester game. We were mentally down after that game. The team had some potential players, but a lot of plot holes. So add the lack of qualities at certain areas to the fact that we were mentally lost. It’s not only a Sherwood issue. If it wasn’t for Southampton and Arsenal game, I wouldn’t have doubted Sherwood much, but those games showed how bad he can do at times. 
Gerrard is a different story, his tactics are good, second half is usually better. He changes a lot and it improves the team. No particular player being dependent on. A lot of players missing and yet it’s the same intensity and outcome. 
We’re changing shapes, players, different tactics and different goal scorers. Totally different. Mcginn, Watkins, Targett, Mcginn and Konsa all scored these games. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Sherwood depended mainly on Benteke, somehow Delph. It’s as Smith depending on Grealish (although it’s unfair to compare as we didn’t fell apart with Smith, we were just useless but still not that easy to lose). When a manager is depending on a player, that’s definitely when you get worried once he’s out. Sherwood worst moment and the most doubtful one was against Southampton (followed by the final). 
He didn’t do as bad in the next season, but he lost the whole mentality after that Leicester game. We were mentally down after that game. The team had some potential players, but a lot of plot holes. So add the lack of qualities at certain areas to the fact that we were mentally lost. It’s not only a Sherwood issue. If it wasn’t for Southampton and Arsenal game, I wouldn’t have doubted Sherwood much, but those games showed how bad he can do at times. 
Gerrard is a different story, his tactics are good, second half is usually better. He changes a lot and it improves the team. No particular player being dependent on. A lot of players missing and yet it’s the same intensity and outcome. 
We’re changing shapes, players, different tactics and different goal scorers. Totally different. Mcginn, Watkins, Targett, Mcginn and Konsa all scored these games. 

You’re right. We’re in much better hands. 

I just know how quickly things change. Saying that looking at the fixtures if we beat Norwich, Burnley and Brentford we will be looking quite comfortable and pushing for Europe.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just know how quickly things change. Saying that looking at the fixtures if we beat Norwich, Burnley and Brentford we will be looking quite comfortable and pushing for Europe.

To what address should @abdulaziz1 send the bill for your counselling session?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The last 4 matches have been the first time I think we have looked like a team who isn't looking for Jack for a long time.  It was a criticism that Dean could never quite escape from (maybe harshly / maybe not).  Would our current team be better with Jack in it?  Probably.  But are we worse because he isn't?  Probably not.  I know how weird that sounds but it is still true.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We don't need your kind of negativity here, go and give yourself a timeout in the corner, to think about what you've done.

We're gonna win the League!

• Haha 1

Â