Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

Experience is a pretty accurate indicator demonstrating if someone is good or not, wouldn't you say?

The less experience mean the appointment has greater risk.

Surely this is fairly obvious stuff??

By that logic, we should've gone back for Steve Bruce 😂

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

I was surprised we started Ramsey today I would have thought JPB or AEG would have started.

I’d also start Carney over Ramsey too, he obviously has a higher ceiling.

Having said that I’m delighted with the points, especially as they seemed to have 12 men on the pitch!

It’ll depend on who shows up in training and who has the abilities best to deliver the manager’s game plan.

Based on yesterday’s performance I think Ramsey was a pretty good pick.

7 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Three wins from his first four games… and the one we lost, we held our own against a team dripping with billions of pounds worth of investment and talent…

Im sold and fully supporting the new direction that Gerrard is taking us in…

Exciting times to be a Villa fan, in my opinion…

100%. 

I'm loving the new formation and tactics. For years under Smith, regardless of form or results, we were always too easy to play through. I think we've changed that now. Teams aren't just walking through the middle of the park and having the chance to shoot on goal. It was the number 1 thing that needed addressing in my book.

His big challenge now is getting us playing well for 90 mins rather than 45 mins, which he alluded to in the post match interview yesterday. As a side, we can play very poorly in one half and be world beaters in the other. That isn't sustainable and we need to start playing well for longer periods. I'm sure we'll get there.

I hate to say it, but I think we'd be on around 12/13 points now if Smith had stayed and in with a real shout of being pulled into a relegation battle. Under Gerrard, I can see a comfortable 11th-13th place finish which I think is about where we are as a squad. To finish in the same spot as we did last year having lost Grealish would be a monumental effort in my book. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Three wins from his first four games… and the one we lost, we held our own against a team dripping with billions of pounds worth of investment and talent…

I was sceptical and was initially annoyed that we have up on Dean too quickly but there were long running signs that he'd found his level, which wasn't in line with what the board and the fans want. Gerrard and his coaching team might well be more tech savvy and have more talent but the biggest thing I feel is Gerrard's winning, driven intensity. I get the feeling the players could slack a little and Smith would put his arm around them and try raise their game in a nice way, Gerrard is more like a Sgt Major, you know what's coming if you are not on it and that's what will drive them on to be better versions of themselves.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Amen to that brother 

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Just saw his post match interview. I love how he is just starting to ignore any lame questions and talks about what he wants to talk about to the fans instead about how we can improve and what he sees. I really like his style. No nonsense, direct and focused. Sure it maybe a new manager bounce but its not a bad one.

This week will be unbearable by the media

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Massive result yesterday, moving into the top half from a purely psychological perspective is really encouraging and I feel that we’ve put enough distance between us and the relegation spots to not have to be too concerned about looking over our shoulder now.

I fully expect we’ll lose to Liverpool but hopefully we go and put up a good fight as we did against City but I’m really looking forward to seeing what we do in the second half of the season now.

Biggest thing for me is that while we will most likely lose to Liverpool we can go in knowing that we have a decent gap above the drop zone now, we won't have that added pressure of thinking "after today we could be just a few points away from the relegation zone" that alone will take a massive amount of pressure off us.

Like the Man City game, as long as we put in a good shift and don't get slaughtered then we'll have to take it.

34 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

and the one we lost, we held our own against a team dripping with billions of pounds worth of investment and talent…

Sorry, not having this at all - arent they in the middle of an injury crisis - they had Grealish, Foden, 2 keepers and some toddlers on the bench! Guardiola said as much in his pre-match media duties - he practically conceded the match to us beforehand and we couldn't take advantage, and their barely used reserve players of Silva, Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez, Fernandinho and Rodri ran rings around us.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

100%. 

I'm loving the new formation and tactics. For years under Smith, regardless of form or results, we were always too easy to play through. I think we've changed that now. Teams aren't just walking through the middle of the park and having the chance to shoot on goal. It was the number 1 thing that needed addressing in my book.

His big challenge now is getting us playing well for 90 mins rather than 45 mins, which he alluded to in the post match interview yesterday. As a side, we can play very poorly in one half and be world beaters in the other. That isn't sustainable and we need to start playing well for longer periods. I'm sure we'll get there.

I hate to say it, but I think we'd be on around 12/13 points now if Smith had stayed and in with a real shout of being pulled into a relegation battle. Under Gerrard, I can see a comfortable 11th-13th place finish which I think is about where we are as a squad. To finish in the same spot as we did last year having lost Grealish would be a monumental effort in my book. 

This all over - even if our midfield played well in the past, we rarely dominated the middle of the park.  It always seemed to be an area of weakness, but that's been massively improved since Gerrard came in - and obviously Nakamba has thrived with his run in the team.

31 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I was sceptical and was initially annoyed that we have up on Dean too quickly but there were long running signs that he'd found his level, which wasn't in line with what the board and the fans want. Gerrard and his coaching team might well be more tech savvy and have more talent but the biggest thing I feel is Gerrard's winning, driven intensity. I get the feeling the players could slack a little and Smith would put his arm around them and try raise their game in a nice way, Gerrard is more like a Sgt Major, you know what's coming if you are not on it and that's what will drive them on to be better versions of themselves.

This is a vital point of the difference between Smith and Gerrard..

Gerrards playing career was always at the very top end of the footballing pyramid… with a global behemoth like Liverpool… playing for years and years under loads of world class managers alongside world class players and being trained by world class coaches…

If he didn’t pick up a thing or two from any of them and decide to assimilate those ideas into how he wanted to be a coach, I’d be shocked and disappointed…

Dean Smith never came close to having anywhere near that sort of pedigree around him as a player… so the further up the pyramid he came, the more he had to learn just to tread water…

We have a natural born winner now with Gerrard… who has worked with “world class” and won the big trophies…

Yeah, he may not have as many managerial miles under his belt as Smith… but what he doesn’t know about winning football matches, you could write on a postage stamp…

Edited by DJ_Villain
Mixed metaphor used, whoops
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This week will be unbearable by the media

They'll be putting a million times more into it, than the man himself.

We've already seen the headlines of " emotional return " to Anfield, as if he hasn't been back since he stopped playing. lol

Having said that, I hope they hate him come full time.

48 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

100%. 

One of my worries sometimes is about us almost looking TOO narrow at the back, so far, where teams have seemed to have free reign of the whole wing at times.

I wonder if this is something which will improve over time, as the lads in those positions get more used to the tactics?

Although, he has mentioned at times, he's ok allowing teams possession in certain areas, as long as we protect the goal?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â