Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Great interview. Exactly what I wanted and needed to hear. Calm, respectful, candid, but with an iron determination to put this club back on track.
It will take more than that of course but I don't really see how it could have been a better start media wise. The players will know they have to respond in the right way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

All sounds good, they guy has had decades of media experience. Now they just have to put it to practice and make sure it transfers onto the pitch.

Funny considering how for the last week people have been mugging him off for the way he talks.

Besides, it's not just that is it. Communication matters. Yeah course, everything else has to be in place too, but it's a bright start. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Funny considering how for the last week people have been mugging him off for the way he talks.

Besides, it's not just that is it. Communication matters. Yeah course, everything else has to be in place too, but it's a bright start. 

Yeah, course. Maybe sounds right was the wrong term, but he says the right things :D 

• Haha 1

I always had a respect for Gerrard as a player - he's an obvious leader and I wanted him as England captain ahead of Terry years before he got the gig. 

As he rightly says, Dean will be a tough act to follow in terms of relationship with the players and fans, and what he achieved here, but let's hope his steely determination and superior experiences as a player can help elevate us to the next level. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Laser focussed. I get the impression I could listen to him talk about football for hours and not get bored. I remember him being similarly engaging as a pundit. 

It's not a knock on Smith per-se, but I do find that kinda thing an important factor towards the whole 'experience'. Maybe more more so than somebody being a fan. 

Good description. Also, he didnt smile a lot....minor point but its as though he is here to get to work and not to make friends. Again, a subtle difference perhaps from Dean....?

I remember an interview with Sven when he was appointed England boss and said something along the lines, “The players don’t have to like me or even respect me, they just have to do as I tell them.” I got a similar vibe from SG in that interview. 

• Like 1

Enthused by the interview.

You can tell he is nervous but at the same time he wants the pressure and acknowledged this and the desire from the fans to win.

Again he was respectful, focused, determined and intelligent. Some quite insightful answers to the questions and nothing too clichéd.

Interesting he mentions about the players and that they need to listen to the messages and philosophy from the management.

He's a Villan now and I'm excited he is the Villa manager.

UTV

Â