Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, hippo said:

That's the gamble - if he's worse we are right in the poop. Will NSWE want to continue if the prodigal son doesn't deliver.

If our CEO doesn't deliver then the likelihood is that NSWE would sack the CEO and employ a new one. Suggesting they may want to quit the club it an extrapolation a little too far imo

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he will be judged from Monday morning....That does not mean unrealistic expectations, but he will be judged all the time, by everyone.....and he knows that.

The pressure is something people like him wallow in, others it crushes them.....Jack loved the pressure, top folk do.

I think he will identify pretty quickly, who in our team thrives on it and who shrinks under it.

I too am just looking for safety and stabilising the league position away from the trap door.....Once we stop, the dastardly act of conceding goals, we have a chance.

I think you’re most excited about sorting that midfield department out, increasing the intensity and workrate and so on right?

It’s something I am enthusiastic about and encouraged to see… but I also want to see composure on the ball and to see us pass the ball about with ease, an ability to dictate play and control the tempo of the game as required… I want to see a high level of technical prowess in our midfield, coupled with a tenacious/aggressive approach.

I have high expectations of him in that sense… it’s our weakest area imo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

One thing, I do think Steven will do, is manage Purslow, better than Dean

Based on what mate? We don’t know the relationship between Dean and Purslow, how it worked, who was more dominant, any frictions or whatever.  Then we are just speculating how Gerrard and Purslow will work together. Gerrard seems a stronger character than Dean but I’ve seen that not translate when talking to your boss in professional circumstances.  Not only that but Gerrard managing Purslow may not be a good thing given his experience at this level.  There are many reasons why it could be better but also many why it could be worse…until we get some time on it I think it’s hard to speculate what will happen and whether it will be good or worse than the Smith/Purslow relationship.

16 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

It grates on me that the media talk like its inevitable Gerrard will manage Liverpool at some point. I could understand it if he had an incredible record over many years, but he has 3 years experience in Scotland and has won 1 trophy in that time. He still has a lot of work to do to be considered for that job imo. 

It was the same with Brian Robson. It was talked as inevitable he would manage Man United until it became clear that he was an absolutely dreadful manager. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Based on what mate? We don’t know the relationship between Dean and Purslow, how it worked, who was more dominant, any frictions or whatever.  Then we are just speculating how Gerrard and Purslow will work together. Gerrard seems a stronger character than Dean but I’ve seen that not translate when talking to your boss in professional circumstances.  Not only that but Gerrard managing Purslow may not be a good thing given his experience at this level.  There are many reasons why it could be better but also many why it could be worse…until we get some time on it I think it’s hard to speculate what will happen and whether it will be good or worse than the Smith/Purslow relationship.

You’re right, it’s all ifs, buts and maybes at this point. But all we can do right now is speculate or theorise…

I think TRO suggested that due to the personality SG seems to have but, yeah it’s not a given.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Isnt this what people are worried about? An inexperienced manager brought in who can easily ruin tye good progress that has been made

He’s not that inexperienced and part of his experience was looking after the LFC academy. Plus he’s not running the academy, we have a very good team doing that. He will play his part by introducing them to the first team, if they’re good enough. I’m pretty sure he knows enough to know what a PL player looks like. I can only see the academy kids being enthused and excited by having a former world class player at the club. 

He’s not as experienced as many of course but he’s not a kid out of school. It’s a false narrative, to borrow an old phrase. 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

He’s not that inexperienced and part of his experience was looking after the LFC academy. Plus he’s not running the academy, we have a very good team doing that. He will play his part by introducing them to the first team, if they’re good enough. I’m pretty sure he knows enough to know what a PL player looks like. I can only see the academy kids being enthused and excited by having a former world class player at the club. 

He’s not as experienced as many of course but he’s not a kid out of school. It’s a false narrative, to borrow an old phrase. 

Who said anything about the academy? He is inexperienced at the top level and it has shown many big name players have struggled in Premier League management before

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Look it doesn’t matter about managers or coaches contracts. If they’re doing well they’ll attract attention. If we’re doing well they’re more likely to stay. It’s no secret that SG is a Liverpool fan, it would be strange if he wasn’t with his history. Not appointing a manager or signing a player because they might do well and leave doesn’t really work. If they’re all rubbish then losing them isn’t a problem, the problem then becomes much worse. 

We’re very well run and financed now. Anyone and everyone is replaceable and the current set up reduces the risk when a change is made. Enjoy the ride don’t let paranoia beat you every time we’re flying high and some click bait journo writes another SG to Anfield article , or pastes an old one more likely. 

He enters the last year of his contract in 2024. So a brake clause in 2024 sounds a little like fake news anyway :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Its not that difficult to speculate. Gerrard was Purslow's first choice, Dean wasn't. Gerrard comes into the job in a position of power with Purslow that Deano just didn't have. As with any business and any headhunting, the headhunted has a greater ability to manage up.

My son bought a 9 seater Minibus last week, I immediately said "great we can all go to Villa Park together now" before remembering that we no longer have season tickets .... B******S!

Gerard and his crew have definitely got me excited.

Edited by villabromsgrove
I spelt Gerard with two r's, lol.
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

My son bought a 9 seater Minibus last week, I immediately said "great we can all go to Villa Park together now" before remembering that we no longer have season tickets .... B******S!

I miss Villa Park. I think I could well miss it more than ever now. Fingers crossed!

46 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I laughed at you forgetting you hadn’t got a season ticket in all the excitement, not the fact that you’re excited. I share you’re excitement. 

• Like 1

The only interesting developments I can see over the last 25 pages is that Gerard is as tactically flexible (or inflexible) as Dean, has less pedigree in bringing in youth but is liked more by Purslow.

When you couple that with people seemingly diluting their expectations now,  when it was the stick used to beat Smith with, I am still as “meh” about the whole Gerard thing

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

? JG?

This may help Gerrard… he’s not “scarred or tainted” by JG’s loss or departure and can work with a fresh, new team…

Give us a whole new identity and way of playing I hope…

A fresh broom and all that. I think we’ll see a more high intensity team with him. 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

? JG?

This may help Gerrard… he’s not “scarred or tainted” by JG’s loss or departure and can work with a fresh, new team…

Give us a whole new identity and way of playing I hope…

That's what I'm hoping and thinking. He's never had you-know-who in his team. I love Smith, still (maybe naively) believe he could have got us out of the sh*te, but undoubtedly struggled without him in his team. Gerrard's Plan A won't have the reliance on that one player. I've seen enough from the brief plus points this season (Everton, Manure, bits of the Chelsea game) that makes me think the right gaffer can get a tune out of what we've got, injuries aside. 

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Did anyone else get the impression that Dean was a little too laid back or accepting of our situation? Who knows what went on behind the scenes but I didn’t feel a sense of urgency or determination to get the players fit and on form. Not an easy situation, I know. And of course he tried to do what he could… But he just came across as easy going and continually said we’ll get better or we’ll finish in the top 10… but where were the signs of that? Maybe he wasn’t entirely happy? I don’t know, I guess it’s just speculation.

I’m just wondering and hoping that if Gerrard and co. bring a fresh and more disciplined approach, raising standards for the players etc. not taking any shit, that it could work out well for us… many of the players seemed mopey or clueless at times… wasn’t happy with soem of the tantrums… Maybe we needed that refresher but it’ll be a while before I shake the sadness of Dean’s departure and the shattering of the dreams of many of his supporters. Would’ve loved to see him lead us into Europe eventually…

Time to step up to the plate SG, no pressure 🤣

Yes. I fully expect there to be an upturn in determination, attitude and discipline. Not a massive one, because our fundamentals are right but fine tuning that adds that steely grit.

• Like 1

Â