Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

The board are no fools so if they think SG is the man to take us back to European football then I think we have to respect that. This decision won’t be based on a hunch, they will have been considering all sorts of metrics to determine the likelihood of success.

I know there will be a bit of a circus around ‘Stevey Gs Aston Villa’ to begin with but personally I don’t mind the extra exposure for Villa. I love Dean Smith but there is no doubt he is not box office in the eyes of the neutral fan and does not raise the profile of villa much beyond the fan-manager narrative. Obviously counts for nothing if he doesn’t take us back up the league but it is a nice side effect.

The board aren't fools. But how many proper football people are on the board? As far as I can see only Lange! Purslow and the rest are business people.

Lots of hot air in this thread unfortunately...

We all want the interests of Aston Villa to be first and that means supporting Steven Gerrard as Head Coach of our illustrious football club.

Every player  needs to work so hard now as it's expected from Gerrard, and whether you like him or not he was one of the PL top midfielders.

I'm also hoping he (and McAllister) can fix our midfield which has been a problem for too long.

A story arose earlier about "big money" in January for Gerrard, I think a midfielder and a left-back will be top priorities.

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Oh god I hadn’t even thought about that 

“He Slippy’s new man, he’s better than Zidane” has a ring to it

Well the original song was “Steve Bruce’s man” so the four syllables of “Stevie G’s Man” fits fine! 

15 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

I don't see how saying you don't 100% agree with or like the hire means you don't support the team. That shows we care about the team because we are concerned with the hire. For those in the unenthusiastic about this hire camp as I am just want the best for Villa, have no personal vendetta against Gerrard, and I am quite sure we all want him to prove us wrong. I want him to succeed because it means we are succeeding.

It just does my head in when somebody doesn't agree or back every single thing a club does, it automatically means we don't support the club. That's just ridiculous.

Again I sincerely hope he does prove a lot of people wrong and I support him in doing so, but will have my reservations until that happens.

There was a post from someone saying they wanted us to lose the next 5 games just so Gerrard would be sacked as soon as possible. There are plenty in here that are clearly willing to throw away their support of the club due to  a childish dislike of Gerrard.

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The board aren't fools. But how many proper football people are on the board? As far as I can see only Lange! Purslow and the rest are business people.

And an army of football people who they can take advice from. Do you think the people who run companies such as Ford could actually make a car? Is the boss of ICI a chemist? Probably not. 

• Like 1

Welcome SG you are obviously a brave man and sure of your credentials 

You have taken on a tougher job than most people imagine being able to keep  us all happy.

But keep us happy and reap the rewards of a full house singing your name and undevoted support. People fall  in love with the Villa and you will too 

Just now, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

There was a post from someone saying they wanted us to lose the next 5 games just so Gerrard would be sacked as soon as possible. There are plenty in here that are clearly willing to throw away their support of the club due to  a childish dislike of Gerrard.

Oh ok I didn't see those posts but yes I agree that is extreme just because they dislike the dude. I dislike him but as I said I want him to win here because it means we are.

A Huge Welcome Stevie G!!  I will be fascinated to see how the team shapes up now. It was truly a mess the last few games so this change was badly needed in my opinion. January & the summer will now be ultra interesting too. 

Dean Smith did his job, got us promoted and consolidated in the division so a huge well done to him but i feel this now gives us the opportunity to take the next steps up the ladder after what will surely be a period of assessing the tools he has & whats needed in Jan etc. 

Â