Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Waaaaayyyy too much made of this. Houllier LITERALLY had his life saved at that very ground and club. We are a sensitive and insecure fan base at times

Sign wasn't the issue. It was the whole attitude that night. We got smashed by Hodgson Liverpool and didn't lay a glove on them live on Sky then he treated it as his testimonial

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Nah. Not when there are 'fans' on here who are actively wishing the club to get relegated. 

Regardless of whether anyone wanted him or an alternative, that is pretty shocking behaviour.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Waaaaayyyy too much made of this. Houllier LITERALLY had his life saved at that very ground and club. We are a sensitive and insecure fan base at times

I actually have little issue with Houllierl and the sign, given that very same set of circumstances you mentioned. I'm cautiously optimistic about Gerrard as head coach too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

FFS this is desperate stuff. Ha ha, people can imitate a clapped out 90s TV show’s impersonation of the Liverpool accent. Wow, I’m rolling about laughing.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree, this is a meaningless thing that fans demand of each other, vaguely cult-like.

IMO you are giving sufficient 'backing to the manager' if you don't boo him or the team at games, dunno what else anyone needs to do really. Certainly demanding that people stop being skeptical of an appointment they feel skeptical of is not going to work; the way skepticism disappears is if results start coming on the pitch, and when that happens nobody will need to be going around demanding 'backing to the manager'.

Thank feck you posted that. Agree totally with every word. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't sure about appointing him, but I am sure that Steven wouldn't have come to Villa without a guarantee of some pretty major backing from the owners. So with that in mind I'm pretty happy with the appointment, as he is convinced he will be able to get the support needed from the owners to achieve his aims.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sign wasn't the issue. It was the whole attitude that night. We got smashed by Hodgson Liverpool and didn't lay a glove on them live on Sky then he treated it as his testimonial

Again, he was massively sentimental to a club that saved his life.We as fans don't have an entitled right to exacting behaviour. For me to be talking about it years later is odd. Our fan base needs to get a little more self assurance. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Houllier looked down on villa from day 1. He postponed his start date to take in an awards ceremony !!! 

Not a fan of SG - but I don't believe he will do that. Sure he will get a massive reception at Anfield - which he will acknowledge - fair enough.

But he won't give BS about it being ok to lose to Liverpool.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

with regard to NSWE/Purslow, they must have promised him substantial backing in the transfer market, will be interesting to see who we go for in Jan/the summer.

£60 million for January supposedly, which you can easily see being true due to the Grealish profit that massively pushed back our FFP limits.

Just now, RichiBoi11 said:

£60 million for January supposedly, which you can easily see being true due to the Grealish profit that massively pushed back our FFP limits.

the interesting thing will be if the money was always there but we couldn't get our targets, with a new coaching team do we have new targets

im guessing we will never know

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Houllier looked down on villa from day 1. He postponed his start date to take in an awards ceremony !!! 

Not a fan of SG - but I don't believe he will do that. Sure he will get a massive reception at Anfield - which he will acknowledge - fair enough.

But he won't give BS about it being ok to lose to Liverpool.

John Terry got away with outright saying he couldn't and wouldn't play against Chelsea. Far far worse

Â