Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Excited by this appointment. Just listening to Chris Kirkland and he was saying he has high standards and the players will have never worked so hard.

His first job will be to pick the players up off the floor as their confidence is shot after 5 consecutive defeats. I think just his arrival will be a shot in the arm and we’ll see a good performance against Brighton.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the interesting thing will be if the money was always there but we couldn't get our targets, with a new coaching team do we have new targets

im guessing we will never know

i think the money was kept back for this eventuality

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i think the money was kept back for this eventuality

Ditto. It was mooted at the time.

Purslow was disappointed with the second half of the season so I think the writing was on the wall if we didn’t get off to a good start.

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Purslow's historical Liverpool connections suggest that the appointment is an act of nepotism, which explains Smith's opportunistic sacking.

I am not sure winning that two-horse race, known as the Scottish Premiership, is sufficient proof of being good enough, any more than finishing top of the Championship would be.

Gerrard's elevation is very reminscent of that of Lampard, which proved to be premature.

No doubt Garrard will enjoy the luxury of calls that he should be given time, should the same players who have lost the last five, fail to find the form since their collapse against Wolves.

It certainly seems like the Villa faithful are about to live through some interesting times, once again.

Was ROK coming here nepotism too? And more nepotism with Gerrard taking Beale et al to Villa Park. Having worked with somebody previously also suggests you have a better understanding of the person, their character and their motivations. Understanding these can help in the recruitment process. 

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I thought it being well known before it was confirmed would make me less angry we sacked off Deano for a rookie. I was wrong.

I love Dean, but he was also a rookie at Prem level and it really showed.

Gerrard might not be an improvement, we don't know, lets hope he is, out of the options available I think he was probably the best one to go for.

Edited by VillanousOne

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

One more thing, can we please please please not start callling him "Stevie G" thanks!

OK. Big G it is then :wave:

Edit - Beaten to it about 100 times  :rant:

Edited by sidcow

Absolutely taken to task by Ewan Murray (Scottish football writer in the Guardian) as not great at Rangers and doesn’t think he’s done enough to deserve a PL job. Fascinating the different sides you hear from people watching the same thing in this game.

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sorry I meant what does a typical fan have to do be "backing the manager"

I don't like the appointment. But imo it's misguided rather than lacking ambition. SG met the whole board and was impressed by what he heard. I think he will have a fair wedge to spend 

It wouldn't be pushing the boat out to far to assume that the whole board were impressed by what they heard too

Hated him as a player, hate(d) Liverpool so hardly surprising as he was one of their greatest ever players - But whenever I have seen any of his interviews at Rangers he always comes across well and my feelings towards him had definitely softened during time.

But TBH, I don't care about any of his playing past, other than he should have a great influence on our (young) players, particularly the midfielders so that for one is a good reason for his appointment.

He will get my 100% full support and although he is no Dean Smith whom I wanted to be given longer, that ship as sailed having a Villa Manager / Captain scenario (which I loved about our club) so why not. He's young, he's a winner, he has ambition, he has personal pride - To me it's a bigger risk for him than it is for us and that shows a lot to me about his character as an individual. 

Every management appointment is a risk, this one on paper might be riskier than a lot of other choices we could have made, but who knows what the future holds, as said I didn't want Deano sacked but I am genuinely excited with this move and hope that he proves the doubters wrong UTV 

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I didn't realise Jamie Carragher was such a Villa fan. Sky giving us a lot of coverage today

He’s always spoken well about us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Absolutely taken to task by Ewan Murray (Scottish football writer in the Guardian) as not great at Rangers and doesn’t think he’s done enough to deserve a PL job. Fascinating the different sides you hear from people watching the same thing in this game.

Whatever people think about the appointment this is a bizarre take. I'm not a keen follower of Scottish football but not clear on what more he could have done? Won the league and left them top again at the moment. Did well enough in Europe without setting it alight, which he wouldn't have been expected to do. Sure he could have won a cup, but is defeat in a knock-out tournament the be-all end-all? Confused.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

He’s always spoken well about us.

Always thought this too. Seemed especially disappointed when we started the season so poorly this time around too, think he likes what we stand for and likes to see the old giants resurfacing.

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Absolutely taken to task by Ewan Murray (Scottish football writer in the Guardian) ....doesn’t think he’s done enough to deserve a PL job. 

I agree. If he wasn't such a good player he wouldn't have got the job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I’m almost certain the chant will be “Stevie G’s Claret & Blue Army” so it’ll soon catch on and spread like herpes.

I'm seriously anxious about the SJM song:wacko:

Â