Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Viloon said:

Whatever league in the world, going through a whole season unbeaten is an incredible achievement.

Geniune question, as I don't in any way follow Scottish football- how many games do they play a season? I know it's a small league, but do they play each other twice, four times? 

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Geniune question, as I don't in any way follow Scottish football- how many games do they play a season? I know it's a small league, but do they play each other twice, four times? 

38 games mate!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheEgo said:

Except Gerrard has actually managed a team. ?Whatever your view of him and Scottish football, to go a whole season undefeated shows some drive, consistency and real focus. Easy to switch off for one or two fixtures and reflects well on him that him and his team were able to keep that focus going. 

Think his point was Lampard’s appointment at Chelsea, ie after managing Derby, and how he wasn’t ready for the step up to the PL.

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Can I just say those are really stupid poll “questions” which do no credit to Villatalk at all if it wants to be regarded as a serious discussion board.

Eeeerm...Yeeeah, corse

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Purslow's historical Liverpool connections suggest that the appointment is an act of nepotism, which explains Smith's opportunistic sacking.

I am not sure winning that two-horse race, known as the Scottish Premiership, is sufficient proof of being good enough, any more than finishing top of the Championship would be.

Gerrard's elevation is very reminscent of that of Lampard, which proved to be premature.

No doubt Garrard will enjoy the luxury of calls that he should be given time, should the same players who have lost the last five, fail to find the form since their collapse against Wolves.

It certainly seems like the Villa faithful are about to live through some interesting times, once again.

...what

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Don't know ?

Wasn't your opening gambit this morning something "nailed on to succeed" 

There isn’t an option for “don’t know”.

Come on now, I know you’re not that slow. Jurgen Klopp could be appointed and I wouldn’t genuinely expect nailed on success. 

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Can I just say those are really stupid poll “questions” which do no credit to Villatalk at all if it wants to be regarded as a serious discussion board.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Gutted.

Sooner he's gone the better.

2 hours ago, Bunnski said:

Can't stand him, don't want him as manager. Hope he loses his first 5 games and gets sacked asap

Nah. Not when there are 'fans' on here who are actively wishing the club to get relegated. 

• Sad 1

Underwhelmed and disapointed we've gone from Smith to Gerrard I have to say... But he has my full support and of course part of me is excited to see what he can bring. I can see the potential for success there, inbetween the IFs and BUTs. Its a big gamble though..

I loved having Villa men as manger and captain, and our success in that context just felt more special, unique. That has all unravelled in just a few months, killing some of my connection to the club that has been built since over the last few years. Gerrard has some job on his hands to turn that around, if its even possible. Some big team scalps and inspired performances would def help thoug

Couldn't care less about the added media attention either, it'll be for the wrong reasons for me, but prob not from a buisness pow...

Anyway, welcome to our great club and the best of luck Steven! 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sorry I meant what does a typical fan have to do be "backing the manager"

I don't like the appointment. But imo it's misguided rather than lacking ambition. SG met the whole board and was impressed by what he heard. I think he will have a fair wedge to spend 

Right, I was responding to a post that referred to lack of ambition. I’m not sure it would be productive to get involved in a third party analysis of that.

I think my original post was seeking to bring out the emptiness of the phrase “backing the manager 100%”, particularly in the context of criticising the appointment, so I’m sort of agreeing with you.

Â