Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Gerrard>Scholes/Lampard 

as a footballer? good debate which im not sure we've ever had on here, maybe one for off topic

the answer for me is as a premier footballer its probably gerrard, outside of the PL and at international football its not though, the guy epitomised the 100mph crash bang wallop PL at its best but it doesnt always translate, this stuff about world class could play for any team in the world i never bought in to, he was a PL player through and through, you look at what the likes of barca, pirlo and zidane were doing around the same time they had a grace to them that just wasnt his game

Edited by villa4europe

Not my first choice at all. So much has changed so fast - and quite a dramatic change at that. However, now he is here he has my support. He won’t have the same patience that Villa fans showed Deano though that’s for sure. 

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

You keep saying you are onboard and backing him 100% but somehow I keep getting this spooky feeling that’s not entirely the case. Can’t work out why I think that. 😉

I don't really know in practical terms what backing him is.?

Some are convinced it's the wrong appointment - some are convinced it's a great appointment.

Those feelings will change pretty rapidly depending on results.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

People getting in their I told you sos already. Blimey. That's bold and gutsy!

When was the last time we had a manager that didn't get sacked.

So much brave.

When was the last time any manager left a job without getting sacked? It’s extremely rare. 
The odds certainly on your side of you allow an indefinite amount of time for being proved right about him being sacked eventually.

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s not just the results, 6 months ago we had Dean and Jack, Villa men as Manager and Captain, we had an identity but now, I just don’t know who or what we are any more. 

Jeez!! This is quite the depressing take. We are still Aston Villa, as we were when Jack left and other players and managers previously. Most of our identity is defined by US the fans. Let's give it a go and support them eh?

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

I don't really know in practical terms what backing him is.?

Some are convinced it's the wrong appointment - some are convinced it's a great appointment.

Those feelings will change pretty rapidly depending on results.

I agree results are the key thing but statements like - this appointment shows the board lacks ambition  - are probably a way of gauging whether the manager is being “backed”.

Purslow's historical Liverpool connections suggest that the appointment is an act of nepotism, which explains Smith's opportunistic sacking.

I am not sure winning that two-horse race, known as the Scottish Premiership, is sufficient proof of being good enough, any more than finishing top of the Championship would be.

Gerrard's elevation is very reminscent of that of Lampard, which proved to be premature.

No doubt Garrard will enjoy the luxury of calls that he should be given time, should the same players who have lost the last five, fail to find the form since their collapse against Wolves.

It certainly seems like the Villa faithful are about to live through some interesting times, once again.

Just now, Villa87 said:

Not my first choice at all. So much has changed so fast - and quite a dramatic change at that. However, now he is here he has my support. He won’t have the same patience that Villa fans showed Deano though that’s for sure. 

I think he might get more patience at board level. They've gone out on limb for Stevie G.  - they will shift heaven and earth to make him a success.

Btw - it's being reported he was interviewed by the whole board - not just CP. Points to some hefty moves in the transfer market.

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Can I just say those are really stupid poll “questions” which do no credit to Villatalk at all if it wants to be regarded as a serious discussion board.

Calm down, calm down!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Gerrard's elevation is very reminscent of that of Lampard, which proved to be premature

Except Gerrard has actually managed a team. ?Whatever your view of him and Scottish football, to go a whole season undefeated shows some drive, consistency and real focus. Easy to switch off for one or two fixtures and reflects well on him that him and his team were able to keep that focus going. 

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

I agree results are the key thing but statements like - this appointment shows the board lacks ambition  - are probably a way of gauging whether the manager is being “backed”.

Sorry I meant what does a typical fan have to do be "backing the manager"

I don't like the appointment. But imo it's misguided rather than lacking ambition. SG met the whole board and was impressed by what he heard. I think he will have a fair wedge to spend 

Â