The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

As someone who's never really rated Smith as much as most other people here, there are definitely some people who I feel are part of the hardcore Smith out crowd and have never said they backed him.

At the same time, there's a lot of people who are hardcore Smith in as well and to this day are showcasing their colours.

Not surprising really, people are commited to their agendas.

17 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

That’s your gripe? That he wants to manage the club he supported? Doesn’t mean he is ever going to be appointed Liverpool manager. 

But you are right, we did have it so good and it’s a shame Smith wasn’t given more time imo, at least up till January. 

It's not my only gripe but it's a constant annoying gripe. I don't own shares in Villa so my only personal gain from Villa is enjoyment and if I'm constantly being annoyed by the fact their manager is permanently on the verge of **** off then that is going to be somewhat hampered.

If he was so good he could offset the annoyingness of constant Liverpool media wanking then I'd be happy but he'd have to be significantly better than any other possible candidate which I don't think there is enough evidence for that just because he whooped Neil Lennon in a two horse race.

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

As someone who's never really rated Smith as much as most other people here, there are definitely some people who I feel are part of the hardcore Smith out crowd and have never said they backed him.

At the same time, there's a lot of people who are hardcore Smith in as well and to this day are showcasing their colours.

Not surprising really, people are commited to their agendas.

To this day are showcasing their colours? He left 5 days ago.

The guy taking over is a bit of an anti climax, it's not like it's been a year of constantly talking about Smith is it? It hasn't been a week yet, rein it in

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree it doesn’t work like that but imagine you had foresight would you have traded Smith for Gerrard?

this is a very interesting question and i doubt many would. a few days back before the saints game there was a smith poll and i do wonder how many that voted sack him, would have done so knowing this was to be his replacement

people don't think when they're on twitter or the matchday forum saying "smith out" about who realistically there was out there to replace him. once the bookies shortlist was released on sunday i think the realisation dawned on everyone...there just isn't an obvious upgrade available.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Just seems you can post a video of anyone getting off a train, somewhere at sometime these days, put some text below it to give context whether it's true or not (could have been a year ago) and it becomes gospel....

That's not aimed at the forum poster by the way, more the Twitter account that originally posted it....

Edited by DeadlyDirk

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Thanks, I’m surprised but ok

And that’s coming from a Smith admirer. It just felt like i never knew which Villa team would turn up even when we were at full strength.  My biggest concern about sacking Smith is that maybe the players are just not as good as we all think and the manager got the blame for that.  We’ll soon find out in a few months.

23 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I would love Smith to go to Norwich and keep them up. That would provide some food for thought. 

So would I, however we had a different set of targets. ie the top half. I've no doubt smith would of kept us up too, but that wasn't the job.