The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Why is it that every manager under the sun is actually not the key mastermind and it's always actually their assistant who is the brains of the operation? 

Even Fergie was plagued by this nonsense at one time when everyone said Steve Mclaren or Carlos Queiroz was the real brains. 

• Like 1

Seems there was only going to be a shortlist if SG said no. Fair or not, Purslow wanted someone else in the manager's chair and Smith gave him a reason to switch it up. Happy that we are being proactive and have clearly done our groundwork on the replacement - but if anything Purslow has set the bar high from the get go - massive pressure on SG to finish top half absolute minimum.

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Why is it that every manager under the sun is actually not the key mastermind and it's always actually their assistant who is the brains of the operation? 

Even Fergie was plagued by this nonsense at one time when everyone said Steve Mclaren or Carlos Queiroz was the real brains. 

It never seems to work the other way around for shit managers. Nobody is willing to take the blame for Tim Sherwood

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

I'm dejected.  I haven't felt this badly about a Villa managerial appointment since McLeish. So much for all the interested & high profile candidates Percy alluded to.  We sacked a fan favorite manager who hasn't let us down in 3 years at the first sign of a bad patch in form, when he hasn't even had his strongest first 11 available for him to utilize once this season.  For his replacement, we went for a manager who has only managed a football team for as long as NSWE has owned Aston Villa.  His experience is purely at a club where they spent more money than any other team in the league, and managed to beat their only competing club because they lost their manager and made a poor appointment with his replacement.  Forget all the player history/Liverpool connections.  I don't care about any of that.  I think it's equivalent to promoting someone right out of grad school to being a C-Suite executive at a huge company, purely because he's famous for doing something else and friends with the CEO.  Do I think Gerrard is an upgrade at all on Dean Smith?  Absolutely not.  I think Smith would walk the SPL with Rangers, if given the opportunity.  Do I think this appointment is a massive mistake and will cost Purslow his job within the next two years?  Yes, I do.  I'll officially be changing my avatar once Gerrard is announced, because I think Purslow has lost the plot here.  

Will I back Gerrard?  Yes, just like every other Villa manager we've had, but I'm not happy at all.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong and Gerrard ends up turning the team around and leading us into Europe, but I just can't see that happening at this time.  Gutted.  

As somebody else put it so well. We've gone for Gerrard the player. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Might be that it suits big name managers to propagate the myth that it's their assistant that really runs things. If things go sour they can swap out assistants while covering themselves and hope for a bounce from it.

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

How can something that hasn’t actually happened be a real cock up?

There has been nothing from the club about this…..nothing.

On this thread we’ve talked ourselves into a world where Gerrard has been approached and he’s rejected us all before a single fact has been announced.

Crazy

Yeah you’re right just my AVFC paranoia kicking in. I haven’t got used to having proper owners yet. 

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I'm dejected.  I haven't felt this badly about a Villa managerial appointment since McLeish. So much for all the interested & high profile candidates Percy alluded to.  We sacked a fan favorite manager who hasn't let us down in 3 years at the first sign of a bad patch in form, when he hasn't even had his strongest first 11 available for him to utilize once this season.  For his replacement, we went for a manager who has only managed a football team for as long as NSWE has owned Aston Villa.  His experience is purely at a club where they spent more money than any other team in the league, and managed to beat their only competing club because they lost their manager and made a poor appointment with his replacement.  Forget all the player history/Liverpool connections.  I don't care about any of that.  I think it's equivalent to promoting someone right out of grad school to being a C-Suite executive at a huge company, purely because he's famous for doing something else and friends with the CEO.  Do I think Gerrard is an upgrade at all on Dean Smith?  Absolutely not.  I think Smith would walk the SPL with Rangers, if given the opportunity.  Do I think this appointment is a massive mistake and will cost Purslow his job within the next two years?  Yes, I do.  I'll officially be changing my avatar once Gerrard is announced, because I think Purslow has lost the plot here.  

Will I back Gerrard?  Yes, just like every other Villa manager we've had, but I'm not happy at all.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong and Gerrard ends up turning the team around and leading us into Europe, but I just can't see that happening at this time.  Gutted.  

If I could be arsed the write up a decent response, it would be along these lines. Utterly underwhelmed.

• Like 1

My big fear of Gerrard is where is his experience in dealing with a team that hits a real bad run of results?

He has always been associated with teams near the top of the pile, and we aint that!

• Like 1