The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, commander said:

Guys Smith has been sacked, accept it and get over it. 

I love the man and respect him, but this revisionalism is **** exhausting. No one is niaive enough to think that there haven't been challenges along the way; but whichever way you look at it, the facts are:

• For 2 years he hit his targets (despite some poor spells I think it's fair to say he excelled)
  • The last 10 months have been an embarassment (we've lost 18 of 35 games)
  • This season we have lost 7/11 games.
  • For the money invested this is a complete and utter shambles. 
  • We don't have a clear, defined way of playing
  • We didn't try and solve our biggesr issue: Defensive Midfield

Despite the challenges he's faced, he has under performed for the best part of a year and this is why he's been sacked. 

I wouldn't say the last 10 months has been an embarrassment, just mediocre. Trending water in the championship was an embarrassment before Smith came in.

The failures stem from the summer when you quite rightly point out we didn't buy a midfielder. It was known Smith was keen on at least two players however our recruitment team failed to bring him in. Lange is more to blame than Smith imo. The reason why we don't have a clear defined way of playing is that we brought in a bunch of players who haven't settled into a side yet.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Are there any Rangers players that could make the step up if he brought them with him in January?  

We don’t need him but I like Morales, even better that he is a word removed. Tavernier (sp) is handy as well. 

In terms of targets for the new manager, I hope we take a sensible, patient approach.

That's with two different groups in mind:

1. The fanbase - a new manager shouldn't be expected to perform miracles with the same squad - to some extent it will be more difficult initially as it won't be a squad they've built themselves or that's put together for their preferred style of play.
  2. The board - I've said it before, but if this board are looking for a new manager to push for Europe with this squad, they're setting him up to fail and setting themselves up for a great deal of difficulty.

The squad we have needs significant investment if we're to push for Europe - Purslow has to own that message and front it up to the owners - Everton have spent more than half a billion pounds over the last five years trying to get into the European places and they're nowhere near - it's the most difficult job in football - we've spent hundreds of millions so far, if we're to use that money to get where we want to be, we're going to need to do it again.

For now, for me, the expectations on the new manager are to keep us in the division and to identify and start to repair the gaps in the squad - if he can do that, bring us a bit of balance and a couple of decent results, then he'll be well under way. A run in the FA Cup would be rather lovely too if that's possible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In terms of targets for the new manager, I hope we take a sensible, patient approach.

1. The fanbase - a new manager shouldn't be expected to perform miracles with the same squad - to some extent it will be more difficult initially as it won't be a squad they've built themselves or that's put together for their preferred style of play.
  2. The board - I've said it before, but if this board are looking for a new manager to push for Europe with this squad, they're setting him up to fail and setting themselves up for a great deal of difficulty.

The squad we have needs significant investment if we're to push for Europe - Purslow has to own that message and front it up to the owners - Everton have spent more than half a billion pounds over the last five years trying to get into the European places and they're nowhere near - it's the most difficult job in football - we've spent hundreds of millions so far, if we're to use that money to get where we want to be, we're going to need to do it again.

For now, for me, the expectations on the new manager are to keep us in the division and to identify and start to repair the gaps in the squad - if he can do that, bring us a bit of balance and a couple of decent results, then he'll be well under way. A run in the FA Cup would be rather lovely too if that's possible.

So we didn't have anyone " lined up " ?

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Are there any Rangers players that could make the step up if he brought them with him in January?  

Conor Goldson (Centre Half) is a local boy (Wolverhampton) and I know his father very loosely. He has been linked heavily in the past with Wolves and WBA but moves haven’t come off. He’s a no nonsense, tuff lad and well thought of in Glasgow. 

I suppose if Axel goes back or Hause leaves, then he could be a useful pick up. He’d jump at the chance of joining us I reckon. Whether Gerrard would think he’s good enough for the Premier League is another matter. 

Just now, hippo said:

So we didn't have anyone " lined up " ?

Not sure you meant to quote me, but I've no idea - we might have - but whoever comes in, I hope they take a sensible approach to how they judge him.

I know we're looking for a manager who can 'take us to the next level' but I hope that comes with an acceptance that we have a lot of work to do to get there.

I'm probably wrong, but I do get a vibe from Mr Purslow that he believes this squad is a little bit better than it actually is. 

• Like 1

Gerrard name and playing for him will, to some players be a massive lure and something that’s not to be dismissed. We need a minimum Of 3 imo in January - LB, CB & CDM… Be interesting to see calibre of names linked and whether Gerrard higher profile makes the difference. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I felt that Smith could still achieve around 12th and that a discussion would then take place in the summer about what direction to take.

As such, “around 12th” is my target for the new guy (but obviously no discussion would take place in the summer if that was achieved in the new guy’s case).

There’s some wiggle room depending on January window, potential injuries and a good cup run. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Tavernier?

One of their better players, but I'm not that convinced he'd be good enough to take Cash's place and he's not going from being a club captain to a bench player

28 minutes ago, commander said:

Guys Smith has been sacked, accept it and get over it. 

I love the man and respect him, but this revisionalism is **** exhausting. No one is niaive enough to think that there haven't been challenges along the way; but whichever way you look at it, the facts are:

• For 2 years he hit his targets (despite some poor spells I think it's fair to say he excelled)
  • The last 10 months have been an embarassment (we've lost 18 of 35 games)
  • This season we have lost 7/11 games.
  • For the money invested this is a complete and utter shambles. 
  • We don't have a clear, defined way of playing
  • We didn't try and solve our biggesr issue: Defensive Midfield

Despite the challenges he's faced, he has under performed for the best part of a year and this is why he's been sacked. 

I was gutted on Sunday. It almost felt like someone had died, it shocked me how much it upset me. Unfortunately though everything that you’ve said is true. If it was allowed to continue it wouldn’t have been good for us or Dean. He’s left us with some great memories and he should be very proud of what he has done for his club. We have fond memories of the past but the future is the important thing now. 

• Like 2