The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

28 minutes ago, string28 said:

Looking at twitter people posting SG "has agreed to join" not sure but we will see in time if he works out or not.

Join what exactly?

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir? Scientology? The Bender boys down at the Bull Ring for a bit of clothes shopping?

I won't believe anything until I hear it on that reliable source Villareport.

15 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Some flawed reasoning I see there. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, being blessed with the power of flight, would absolutely shit on the Le Mans field. 

They'd never get Dick van Dyke through scrutineering.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Big Sam until the end of the season, too big a job for Gerrard atm. 2 losses and the fans will turn after the Smith sacking. Big Sam had seen it all and wouldn't care , Gerrard wouldn't. 

I think the club might float that to get people onside with Gerrard 😂

1 hour ago, SeanVilla said:

What’s the actual truth on the Henry being offered the job? Howard Hodgson who’s very well connected to the club said we did offer the job and he turned us down. He has no reason to lie. 

Not sure Henry was ever really a possibility. I know HH and I trust him. I do know that Purslow was high on Eddie Howe. Which suggests he wants a young manager who can coach really well to get results and playing attractive football. 

I have no idea if we want Gerard however I could guess that whoever we do want we've already spoken too. Rangnick would be my choice along with a couple of others. Favre seems like he would be a short term fix as opposed to a project. No to Terry or Lampard. Koeman would improve us. A fair few options out there. 

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I disagree.

with respect, I think you are looking too literally at some of my comments.....I was a salesman, before being a sales manager, so I know all about have alternative skill sets and alternative objectives to boot.....but my ability to hit targets remained in my psyche, just the same as a winning player, can easily take that psyche in to Management....that was the point I was making....it seems like SG has.

In contrast, to you I am as sure as hell, why he is geting looked at for the role....They are looking in the main( not solely, but in the main) for a mentality to take us forward.

you make the poor examples and you are right, but equally there are cross overs.....Like some of Roy Keane's pysche might be shared with Pep, but may other attributes won't be....Pep is Pep because he has so much to his armoury, Roy in comparison, has much, much less, but some things might still be shared......Thats why in life, we see folk with limitations, but that doesn't mean they are without some very valuable skills.

That's where I am with Dean, I think he possess some great skills in his tool box, much more than some.....but I still think he is mising a few. some will see it, some will disagree with me, I get that.

Ok we’ll have to agree to disagree.  I also guess you mean Gerrard in the last paragraph but I understand your point

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Not meaning to pee on anything Ron achieved but I don’t think in this day and age he would’ve been a success. 

I see where you are coming from and the players do have a lot more power now, than they did back then. I like to think that the best managers (Ron, Clough, Shanks & Ramsey), like the best players (Moore, Charlton, Greaves & Best) would be able to adapt to the times they were playing/managing in, but without a Tardis, we are unlikely to really know for sure one way or the other. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Would Smith have done a better job than Gerrard at Rangers. I have no doubt he'd atleast match his stats. If not a little better. I see Gerrard as a step backwards. We ideally want someone that's been there and done that. 

How can u possibly see Gerrard as a step backwards? The risk with Gerrard is that he is unknown at this level and the risk is potentially worth taking because of what he has achieved in his career to date. I don't think it is possible for anyone to be able to say Gerrard is a step backwards.

I just think Gerrard is the wrong choice.

Let me explain. We've got a young manager here who whilst an outstanding footballer, has only been in the top job for what, 3 and a bit seasons is it? It's all very well having a great win record in Scotland, where it's easy to get to be fair if you're at one of the big two, but what about experience of barren runs? This is where I think we fall down. How will he react to a barren run of games, trying to pick confidence off the floor and get people going again? There's no evidence of him doing this and I don't want Aston Villa to yet again be the club where someone tries to work this out. Steven Gerrard is a high risk appointment.

Where are we at the moment as a football club? We're trying to stabalise and grow, be steady.

This is where I come in with unpopular opinion that Roberto Martinez might actually be the right man for the job. He's got the experience, he's been at the low ebb and has experience of pulling out of it. He's worked at big clubs, understands how they operate, he's worked with big personalities, problem children and up and coming youngsters. I genuinley think out of the likely and available candidates, he's the best fit for the moment, not yet another coach/manager with limited experience and hasn't experienced the really bad times in that position. Unfortunatley, we always seem to be the club where people learn that and suffer to recover, and the last two times we went "big" or for "proper big club experience" where Marin O Neill and Gerard Houllier, funnily enough the last two managers who got us to top ten finishes in the Premier League. I know people will credit GMac for that under the Houllier regime, but you'll probably find Houllier was running things from a phone, etc!

Gerrard potentially the right appointment but at the wrong time. Feels like a commercial decision as opposed to a footballing one.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Think Twitter could be full of angry rangers fans very soon 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, I can see McGinn's brother knocking them out of the Scottish Cup final in their next match, too...  😉

Am fascinated by this obsessive view that Gerrard is a shoe in for the Liverpool job once Klopp leaves.
When Klopp leaves they will have their pick of every manager in the world. All those ones that are being discounted by ourselves are the ones which will be realistic for Liverpool at that stage.
They are a very large and successful club who will not be appointing their next manager on sentiment. They will only have to look at Man U and Ole to realise this is a flawed strategy. And as the years go by the less of an idol Gerrard will be to the fans anyway.

Then there are those who are aghast at the idea that he would leave Villa for a bigger club one day - isnt that exactly what we are proposing doing by poaching him from Rangers with our money and position? Its like getting annoyed when you catch your missus  - who you hooked up with while she was dating someone else - shagging someone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1