The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s fair enough but quite a lot of people in here, me included, have the opinion that we are only a quality CM away from being a top side. If ever there was a sideways move it would be swapping Dean for Potter. 

Well yeah, we should not have sacked Smith. 

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Roy Keane is a serial Winner. I’d never want him managing us. This is an opportunity to go for someone who is going to build us into a powerhouse a feared team that in 3 seasons competes for trophies.

Stevie G is not that guy. Liverscum is where he will end up soon if he shows an ounce of success.

I know a few have had a laugh about Sampaoli and yes he is a little bit crazy but we’d be playing with fire , skill, technique, energy, stamina and he won’t be lying down for the top clubs.

Same with Gallardo. Gallardo brings through youngsters. 
Sampaoli will insist on bringing Kamara here too as he is his main CDM. Any appointment is a risk but with one of these two it’s a calculated risk. 

They’d do a better job than Stevie G imo. Same with Favre and Hassenhuttl. The way Southampton play is already a blueprint and with our resources he’d have a higher ceiling.

I like the idea of having a manager that would drag under performing players off after 20 minutes and physically slap them in front of the fans, before sending them straight to the showers, Sampaoli might be mental enough for this, I wouldn't mind seeing him throw big orange of Mings's head if he pulls a stupid move.

I'm warming to Sampaoli, we need mass anarchy, we need war.

• Haha 4

If Gerrard comes in and fails then Purslow will be next or the door. I don't believe Gerrard is the best we can obtain at the moment and it is obvious it will just be Purslow getting his mate in, rather then analysing all the information to make the best choice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

When we hired Dean, we went through a proper interview process. All candidates were given a chance to present their vision for the club. Dean got the job because in the words of Purslow, he was the outstanding candidate with the greatest vision that aligned with that of the board. NSWE will not allow Purslow to hire a mate. We are a professionally run sports team. Whoever gets the job, will get it on merit. Everyone just needs to calm down.

You've been infected by the scouser already

C_71_Articles_122615_BodyWeb_Detail_0_Im

• Haha 3

I voted Steve Gerrard (oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh)

From what I can make out he is the only manager to have won something every year that he has been a manager, be it promotion or the league (where ever it may be) Winning mentality breeds winners 

Is he the only one not to have been sacked for failing else where   not sure ?

As a player he has won most things (not the Prem I know) Should get respect from the players

And if he only takes the job as a stepping stone to LFC fair enough, he will have to do great things at Villa to be considered and that can only be good for us wont it?

His name fits all our songs too 

26 minutes ago, Eastie said:

You backed a lame horse for months so here is your chance to get behind a thoroughbred winner - give Steve a chance and you may find that purslow was spot on in this decision , your comment when Gerrard fails not if is laughable considering your constant support of a guy who’d won 7 in his last 30 and had a squad worth over £300m without a clue how to get the best from them .

I'm grateful to Dean for getting us up but he definitely had to go - give Gerrard a chance before writing him off 

If he gets the job of course I’ll back him and give him a chance.  

We don’t have a choice anyway but feels like when you’re in a company and your boss brings in their son in a senior position who has no real credentials and no real experience in this area…we just have put up with it and keep our fingers crossed it works.  

He may have been the school swimming champ loved by the girls but does he have skills for business, we have no choice but to wait and find out.

Fingers crossed the kid thinks he’s too big for the job and rejects us. 😁

Think I need therapy!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Roy Keane is the Irish Robbie Savage. Just there to be outlandish and get hits on twitter/facetube. He's an absolutely rubbish manager, he's terrible record speaks for itself. Also he lasted about 5 minutes when he came here under lambert. Says it all.

I think that he may have been comparing the ‘winning mentality’ of SG with Keane, and then saying that he didn’t want SG. At least that’s how I read it. 

I think this ‘winning mentality’ thing is just a thinly veiled cover for being aggressive tbh. No manager settles for losses. Management is not about throwing your toys out of the pram every time something goes wrong, because that sets out a ‘do as I say’ culture. Good managers get all of their staff/players to buy into what they are doing and to perpetuate it. 

• Like 1

My view is that the negativity towards Gerrard stems from disappointment and lack of understanding as to why he is a better candidate than at least 3 or 4 other gettable names - not anti Gerrard vendettas, not unaccepting of his Liverpool alleigance, but plain old deflation at an opportunity missed. We can only be proven wrong. If he sorts the midfield then we're doing good.

• Like 3

Just now, Jareth said:

My view is that the negativity towards Gerrard stems from disappointment and lack of understanding as to why he is a better candidate than at least 3 or 4 other gettable names - not anti Gerrard vendettas, not unaccepting of his Liverpool alleigance, but plain old deflation at an opportunity missed. We can only be proven wrong. If he sorts the midfield then we're doing good.

That will be more down to Lange as he is clearly in charge of the transfers. Unless he gets sacked as well.

Ok hypothetically imagine the following scenario. Purslow decides to avoid the VT backlash and doesn’t appoint SG, appointing say Potter/Favre/Fonseca whoever instead. Meanwhile a club in a similar situation as us, Leeds decide to part company with Bielsa. The screams from Yorkshire get even louder when the appoint Steven Gerrard. Everyone in VT rejoices a scummy Scouser goes to scummy Leeds. 

Fast forward a few months. We’ve improved but aren’t comfortable clear of the bottom 3. Meanwhile SG is the toast of Yorkshire pushing for a European place and in the latter stages of the FA Cup. VT rages, “Why do we never unearth the next big thing? Why did Purslow play safe? SG is obviously a serial winner! Purslow get Lampard, he’s the next SG!”

Might be a stretch but not that far fetched, it would be a very Villa thing to do. If I’m honest, one of the reasons I’ve never liked SG is his annoying trick of always winning. If you can’t beat ‘em…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I can't believe we've nobody lined up and we are know going to make an approach to talk to Gerrard.

This is going to be a farce. I don't even see him wanting to come here...not that I'd want him either tbfh.

It wouldn’t be so public if he didn’t want to come. Rangers just making sure they get their compo. I’m a big fan of Purslow but this decision is very personally driven