The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

50 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Why? He's not proven himself at all at club level and international football is a different kettle of fish. 

A massive no from me. 

Can You all do yourself a favour and fact check before commenting on things you don't know anything about. See my post on page 70

The team he won the league with had an avarage age about 22-23

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Keeping in mind, if it does go tits up then Gerrard can kiss the Liverpool job goodbye too.

Exactly!

I'm not writing him off because his cult of personality which some seem to be the same with Terry before he signed for us

57 minutes ago, lexicon said:

RH - 36.22% win rate and has lost 2 games 9-0. I don't see why we'd want to pay compensation for him.
Potter - 28.3% win rate at Brighton. Sure, Brighton aren't a great team, but that's still very low. 

I wouldn't say either have proven themselves at this level, certainly no more than Smith. 

Lambert had 29.6 win rate at Villa in comparison and wasn't backed as much as Potter

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taxahunter said:

Can You all do yourself a favour and fact check before commenting on things you don't know anything about. See my post on page 70

The team he won the league with had an avarage age about 22-23

Which one was that, the team 10 years ago or the team 15 years ago?

In Denmark. 

That is not proving yourself at the standard we require. 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gerrard didn't end Celtics dominance. Celtic did that by hiring Neil Lennon. 

Rangers have done OK in Europe but havent beaten a team from a msjor league. Best team they best were Porto in a group game

He was also helped by major investment. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Like this?

giphy.gif

No doubt players might be shitting themselves Nick. He takes no prisoners in coaching and he will get us playing.

You just need to look at how he has handled Alfredo Morales at Rangers to see his man management skills.

Between keeping Morales tied to the club and also dealing with his huge disciplin issues, he's got what it takes to succeed.

It's a win win situation in my opinion.

• Like 1

Martinez is a constructed entity. He got praise for making a Wigan side play decent football and just about staying up for a few seasons. Everything he's done since has underwhelmed. No thanks.

The Danish manager shouldn't even be in the conversation.

Ten Hag isn't happening. He'll go to Manchester United in the summer. 

Sampaolli I'm not sure will fit the structures and... image... we have now. Would be an interesting ride while it lasted though.

25 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The more I think about it the more I’d like us to try and get Erik ten Hag. 

He's one of the standout manager/head coaches in Europe at the moment. I don't think with our owners he should be thought of as out of our range. We need to make a statement managerial signing imo. 

14 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Maybe so.

If it all comes off as a success, then Purslow would have pulled off a masterstroke.

If it did go tits up then no doubt Purslow's position is questioned and Stevie G is sacked.

Keeping in mind, if it does go tits up then Gerrard can kiss the Liverpool job goodbye too.

I follow the SPL and Gerrard is no mug when it comes to fan pressure. From what I have seen so far from him in management with an average team he shouldn't be underestimated imo.

But fans need to get behind the project and give him adequate time to get this group of players going and maybe add a few additions in January if he sees fit.

Average team.  Rangers threw the kitchen sink to stop 10 in a row and posted 23m in loses on Friday because of it.  On top of that Celtic sold anything of value that wasn’t nailed down and had an idiot as Lennon at the helm.  

Gerard may or may not be a good manager but he has proven very little.  Id rather we go with alot more experience than taking this gamble 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, lexicon said:

RH - 36.22% win rate and has lost 2 games 9-0. I don't see why we'd want to pay compensation for him.
Potter - 28.3% win rate at Brighton. Sure, Brighton aren't a great team, but that's still very low. 

I wouldn't say either have proven themselves at this level, certainly no more than Smith. 

In defence of Potter, that win rate doesn't tell the whole story. His loss % at Brighton (36%) is better than Smith's at Villa (40%) so if we are wanting someone to stop a run of defeats he looks a pretty good option. Their issue has been scoring, meaning a lot of draws, but XG tables suggest that's not because they haven't created chances, with them being 13th in 19/20 (15th in actual table) and 5th in 20/21 (16th in actual table). So far this season they are 7th with only 2 defeats, though weirdly are now overperforming XG which would have them 11th in the table.

Hassenhuttl I'm less fussed on, but tbf his win rate is better than I thought given that, like Smith, his Southampton team seem to have had terrible luck with injuries this year. Still, he doesn't feel like an upgrade on Smith.

• Like 1

I don't really understand how many of your who are disappointed we haven't got a replacement ready expected this might go.

Assume that Smith was on thin ice 3 weeks ago - would you be happy with our ownership speaking with a top manager, behind Smith's back, and expect them to leave a solid team that they are successful in and drop everything just in case something bad happens with Smith?

A good, successful manager (currently employed) is fully committed to their club and works on the next game.

They won't be half arsed about it, and won't shop around just in case Aston Villa decide to pull the trigger.

Of course, our ownership should have a list of possible candidates, but it's unreasonable to expect that Franck Haise drops Lens to join Aston Villa, or that Vincenzo Italiano leaves Fiorentina to join Aston Villa. Those managers are not sitting there waiting from Smith to get the sack.

These things might take a few weeks to come to fruition, and thank God we did it in the international break to give us a bit of a breathing space. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Martinez is a constructed entity. He got praise for making a Wigan side play decent football and just about staying up for a few seasons. Everything he's done since has underwhelmed. No thanks.

The Danish manager shouldn't even be in the conversation.

Ten Hag isn't happening. He'll go to Manchester United in the summer. 

Sampaolli I'm not sure will fit the structures and... image... we have now. Would be an interesting ride while it lasted though.

All the Everton fans call Martinez Bobby Bluffer.  Says enough to me to stay away.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Gerrard

SPL is league 1 calibre football. 

If we does well, the second Klopp leaves (2 years) he is off, we rebuild again.

You could say the SPL is like league one if you take out Rangers and Celtic.

Listen, If he does well then it will also mean Villa are in a great position to warrant Liverpool taking him on as their manager given their expectations and his connection etc.

If that be the case, we will equally be in a great position as a club to be able to attract a manager like Conte when that time comes.

As I've said, it's a win win scenario.

1 minute ago, John said:

Martinez has turned us down a couple of times in the past and I doubt if he would come to us now. 

He's also managing the best national side in the world (on paper) and has won a grand total of fook all with them over the past 5 years.  After they crash out of the WC next year, he'll be sacked.  

• Like 3