Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

3 hours ago, useless said:

This what I would say if I was trying to trick people into worrying that we could be relegated :twisted:

Wake up, wake up, if Everton win next week at home to stuttering Chelsea, and Burnley beat lowly Watford, and we lose as it may well be written in the stars to Dean Smith's Norwich then we will be just five points clear of relegation with five games to play, two of those against Man City and Liverpool, another two against Burnley giving them a chance to close the gap, we can't allow ourselves to think we're already safe and in doing so sleepwalk into relegation.

I think we get at least another ten points :rant:

You've actually given me the shakes.... By accident, with this 🤔

I look at the fixtures next weekend Southampton play Palace, and Brentford are away to Man Utd, so as long as we beat Norwich we will go above two of those whilst still having games in hand on them, also Newcastle play Liverpool and Brighton are away to Wolves, so a win next weekend could well see us close the gap on those and again we would still have games in hand on them.

As for the teams below us Everton have to play Chelsea, Everton aren't bad at home, but Chelsea have the second best away record in the league, so Chelsea favorites. Burnley play Watford away, wouldn't be a major surprise to me if Burnley went and lost that, they aren't going to keep winning. Leeds play Palace tonight, after which we will have a game in hand no matter what and they then play Man City at the weekend.

Obviously every result isn't going to conveniently go our way, but as long as we beat Norwich then good chance the table will be looking a lot better, not just in terms of below us, but looking up the table as well.

• Like 1

No one genuinely believes that we're in any danger, would take the most improbable set of results that it's barely worth worrying about, we could not get another point and would still have a very good chance of staying up, as it is I know people like to be dramatic but we aren't just going to not win another game or not get any more points, we should get a decent haul from Palace, Norwich, and Burnley home and away.

Some obviously trying to overplay the prospects of relegation as part of their agenda against Gerrard, ignoring the fact that the reason we are where we are is because of the bad start to the season we had before he was even our manager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It depends what is close though. I think if we are within 10 points its a dismal season considering the gap we had

If we end up 10 points clear, that’s at least an improvement on the 2 point gap Deano left us with when he crashed out in November.

I agree it’s been a mediocre season and we need much better from Gerrard next time, but it would be wrong to underplay the shambles he took over and the dire position Smith had led us into.

Edited by briny_ear

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

If we end up 10 points clear, that’s at least an improvement on the 2 point gap Delano left us with when he crashed out in November.

I agree it’s been a mediocre season and we need much better from Gerrard next time, but it would be wrong to underplay the shambles he took over and the dire position Smith had led us into.

It's more than a touch misleading to be comparing 2 points clear after 9 or 10 games, with 10 points clear after 38 games. At that point, Man Utd were only 9 points above the relegation zone, Spurs only 8. 

Your broader point that the club was a mess when Gerrard took over is more reasonable. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, useless said:

Some obviously trying to overplay the prospects of relegation as part of their agenda against Gerrard, ignoring the fact that the reason we are where we are is because of the bad start to the season we had before he was even our manager.

I agree with the first paragraph but I’m not sure I agree with this second paragraph, we are in this position because of the start of the season AND the last 15 games under Gerrard which with gained 15 points.  15 games is getting close to half a season, so Gerrard gets as much of the blame as Smith.  

Arguably the new manager bounce of 12 points in six games saved us from fighting relegation because runrate would have us close to 6 points from those games and six points less now and we would’ve been looking over our shoulders now.  Smith and Gerrard both take blame for this season.

• Like 1

There’s been a bit of “Why are people posting in this thread? I wish people would stop bumping this thread” type talk in here.

Always find it an interesting tactic deployed by those who don’t want to see it being discussed.

Place Team PTS GP GD Next Match Relegation
Probability
15. Aston Villa 37 32 -4 vs. NOR, Apr. 30 <1%
16. Leeds United 33 32 -30 @ CRY, Apr. 25 18%
17. Burnley 31 33 -16 @ WAT, Apr. 30 27%
18.* Everton 29 32 -21 vs. CHE, May 1 55%
19.* Watford 22 33 -36 vs. BUR, Apr. 30 >99%
20.* Norwich City 21 33 -47 @ AVL, Apr. 30 >99%

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/premier-league-promotion-relegation-favorites-odds-races-championship/dcjx93b7rq5z8qdvm3kvocb4

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree with the first paragraph but I’m not sure I agree with this second paragraph, we are in this position because of the start of the season AND the last 15 games under Gerrard which with gained 15 points.  15 games is getting close to half a season, so Gerrard gets as much of the blame as Smith.  

Arguably the new manager bounce of 12 points in six games saved us from fighting relegation because runrate would have us close to 6 points from those games and six points less now and we would’ve been looking over our shoulders now.  Smith and Gerrard both take blame for this season.

Norwich game will mean Gerrard has managed double the league games as Smith has for Villa this season 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's more likely we finish tenth looking at our games to play and those around us.

Well, I'm hoping for a good finish to the season. Ever the optimist....

I expect us to get at least 9 points from the last 6 games. We should beat Palace and Norwich and win at least one of the Burnley games

Where that leaves us I am not sure 

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

A quick look at the goal differences indicates that we will stay up. The bottom five are there because none of them can defend. I know we lost 4 nil the other week but that was a bit of a aberration. 

Yep. We’ve lost too many games by small margins but thankfully didn’t get embarrassed as often as say Leeds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

It depends what is close though. I think if we are within 10 points its a dismal season considering the gap we had

do you think 10 points clear of relegation is 'close' ?