Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

Just now, Zatman said:

The Norwich and Burnley games are played in a weekly round of games then our first game in hand is played

I'm purely referencing that we have played 32 games and those mentioned have played 34. 

Three of those games are shite teams that we really should be battering, Burnley worry me however because they've been buoyed by two scrapping wins. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Lets put this shit to bed on Saturday and absolutely hammer Norwich and bring a feelgood factor back for the trip to the brick munchers. 

It would be so nice to finish the season with four wins out of six after the season we’ve had. I don’t see it but damn it would be nice.

• Like 1

I think Wolves especially are in a precarious position, they've been selling their best players and haven't been reinvesting much, talk that their owners are losing interest, they may well lose a few more this summer as likely will have to sell again to buy, and if you look at the past three or four transfer windows their signings haven't been making a massive impact, something their fans have been moaning about. Lage massively overachieved with them this season, was actually having their best season Premier League season up until a few results ago, and that with what's probably easily their weakes squad since promotion, but can see it all catching up with them next season,

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

It would be so nice to finish the season with four wins out of six after the season we’ve had. I don’t see it but damn it would be nice.

Norwich capitulate so hard away from home when they concede first. 

I feel like an early goal for us on Saturday would see us hammering them as we have been due one (cough... Spurs) for a while now with the chances we've been spurning. 

11 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I can easily see both Wolves and West Ham finish below 10th next season which leaves a couple of spots higher up for others. Midtable teams are unpredictable and those two don't have great squads.

I don’t, I think those teams will be around the same places. I like the West Ham squad, if they get another striker in they have a good balance but just depends on what happens with Rice.  

We need to forget about other teams falling and start doing it ourselves.  We have to target 55-60 points next season and that should land us in a good place whatever others do or don’t do.  If we don’t do that it doesn’t matter about the other teams, we just need to take care of our own business.

Edited by nick76

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's more than a touch misleading to be comparing 2 points clear after 9 or 10 games, with 10 points clear after 38 games. At that point, Man Utd were only 9 points above the relegation zone, Spurs only 8. 

Your broader point that the club was a mess when Gerrard took over is more reasonable. 

I think I’m making a much less sophisticated statistical point than you are assuming.

I was responding to a comment that said “ if we are within 10 points its a dismal season considering the gap we had”.

Worth remembering that the “gap we had” was 2 points above the drop.

My point was simply that 10 points above the drop would be better than 2 points above the drop, and we are in a better position than, say, Everton, who have gained just 14 points from 21 games since last November and have converted a gap of +7 points into a deficit of -2, or Norwich, who at the time in question were 5 points from safety and are now 10 points away.

Smith got us 10 points from his 11 games this season. Gerrard has 27 from 21. Even though I don’t think much of Gerrard’s performance, I know which I prefer, and the theme that seems to be developing on these pages, that Gerrard has wrecked the Golden Age left him by Smith, is just wrong.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I think I’m making a much less sophisticated statistical point than you are assuming.

I was responding to a comment that said “ if we are within 10 points its a dismal season considering the gap we had”.

Worth remembering that the “gap we had” was 2 points above the drop.

My point was simply that 10 points above the drop would be better than 2 points above the drop, and we are in a better position than, say, Everton, who have gained just 14 points from 21 games since last November and have converted a gap of +7 points into a deficit of -2, or Norwich, who at the time in question were 5 points from safety and are now 10 points away.

Smith got us 10 points from his 11 games this season. Gerrard has 27 from 21. Even though I don’t think much of Gerrard’s performance, I know which I prefer, and the theme that seems to be developing on these pages, that Gerrard has wrecked the Golden Age left him by Smith, is just wrong.

What I'm trying to get across is that you have used the perfect metric in this post, in the last line (points per game) and that all the other stuff about 'points above the relegation zone' is a bad metric, because for obvious mathematical reasons even the top teams are closer to the relegation zone in absolute point terms in November than they are in May. Points per game gets your point across much better, and it's a fair point. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

58 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What I'm trying to get across is that you have used the perfect metric in this post, in the last line (points per game) and that all the other stuff about 'points above the relegation zone' is a bad metric, because for obvious mathematical reasons even the top teams are closer to the relegation zone in absolute point terms in November than they are in May. Points per game gets your point across much better, and it's a fair point. 

Like I said, I am not doing anything like sophisticated stats here, just trying to quosh a misleading comment from another poster.

Edited by briny_ear

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We only have six games left, but in them we'll be deciding who wins the league and who gets relegated.

We're safe I reckon; but our season is massive to everyone else - I like that.

Nothing would be funnier than Stevie unwittingly denying Liverpool the quadruple. 

• Haha 4

Jonathan Pearce saying Villa worry him regarding relegation. He thinks we will finish a couple of points outside of relegation. Mentioning it here because it is the first time I’ve really heard the media mention Villa and relegation. 

• Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Jonathan Pearce saying Villa worry him regarding relegation. He thinks we will finish a couple of points outside of relegation. Mentioning it here because it is the first time I’ve really heard the media mention Villa and relegation. 

I think if we lose to Norwich we are in big trouble. I don't think we will though and one win should give us the confidence to get another couple.