Paulo Fonseca

MaVilla

I’m not convinced he’d be the right manager for us. For someone so young in terms of being a manager he’s managed a lot of clubs. Don’t know a great deal about him I must admit, but doesn’t seem right choice for me, if deano did end up getting sacked. 

46 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think we are limiting ourselves by only looking at managers on earth. About time we cast the search a little bit beyond that 

Elon Musk for manager?

Fonseca sounds sexy.  Any pics of him ?

Edited by ender4

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Glory years is an interesting one. When SGT 1st came to us from high flying Watford, we were only 5/6 years from being Champions of Europe and the old first division was a far more even playing field than now. That was some idea of getting back to being a big club and the chance of becoming league champions was real - sadly the English FA took him and ruined him. After that Big Ron bought in big name players but without a real eye to the future and once Manure won the 1st PL, the momentum shifted. We had a penny pincher in charge so we always seemed to be shopping in the bargain basement rather than going for it. It was a huge missed opportunity 1992-2002 or so, to cement ourselves as one of the elite but Ellis didn't have the vision or the balls. Essentially we've been also rans ever since.

I think people talk about us a big club and as a big opportunity in the same way they do Newcastle - large fanbase, bags of potential, completely starved of success.

We have great owners now who seem to be prepared (at least so far) to put their money where their mouth is. The league is so skewed to the CL teams though (they even get money if they don't qualify for a year :crylaugh:)that really challenging and becoming a force is really unlikely whoever is in the dugout to be honest.

I really like the Dean Smith story - his support, his dad, and his families ties to the Villa. He gave us that amazing 10 game winning run with exciting football. Got the best out of Jack, has improved players. I want him to succeed and quite honestly if we don't improve on last years position then so what? 🤷‍♂️ Doesn't mean he won't improve it next season. All this clamoring to get someone else in after a 4 game losing spell just smacks of the "want something new" society - "I want a shiny new name" and guess what, if in 10 games they are doing sh*t the same people will demanding another manager,

If we get Fonseca, or another "some name from Europe" then, meh. It's just another reason to be less and less interested in a game that I used to love.

I feel it too, it's almost futile this obsession with football and in particular Aston Villa.

The goal posts will have been shifted further with the arrival of Conte, Newcastle buoyed by rich owners, Arsenal getting their act together, the emergence of Brighton and Brentford also looking for a space ahead of us in the league.

Villa will try but will they try hard enough? A question we have been asking for too long now.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Glory years is an interesting one. When SGT 1st came to us from high flying Watford, we were only 5/6 years from being Champions of Europe and the old first division was a far more even playing field than now. That was some idea of getting back to being a big club and the chance of becoming league champions was real - sadly the English FA took him and ruined him. After that Big Ron bought in big name players but without a real eye to the future and once Manure won the 1st PL, the momentum shifted. We had a penny pincher in charge so we always seemed to be shopping in the bargain basement rather than going for it. It was a huge missed opportunity 1992-2002 or so, to cement ourselves as one of the elite but Ellis didn't have the vision or the balls. Essentially we've been also rans ever since.

I think people talk about us a big club and as a big opportunity in the same way they do Newcastle - large fanbase, bags of potential, completely starved of success.

We have great owners now who seem to be prepared (at least so far) to put their money where their mouth is. The league is so skewed to the CL teams though (they even get money if they don't qualify for a year :crylaugh:)that really challenging and becoming a force is really unlikely whoever is in the dugout to be honest.

I really like the Dean Smith story - his support, his dad, and his families ties to the Villa. He gave us that amazing 10 game winning run with exciting football. Got the best out of Jack, has improved players. I want him to succeed and quite honestly if we don't improve on last years position then so what? 🤷‍♂️ Doesn't mean he won't improve it next season. All this clamoring to get someone else in after a 4 game losing spell just smacks of the "want something new" society - "I want a shiny new name" and guess what, if in 10 games they are doing sh*t the same people will demanding another manager,

If we get Fonseca, or another "some name from Europe" then, meh. It's just another reason to be less and less interested in a game that I used to love.

Whilst I agree with most of this I don’t think fans that want a change are just looking at the last 4 games. We haven’t really looked right for nearly a whole calendar year now and even the odd impressive performance seems to have become the exception rather than the norm. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

image.jpeg.a339a11e86a07665efdd6784c1e87d7e.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

His Roma team shipped 58 goals 

Few heavy spankings skewed the figures a bit but yep, they weren't exactly solid at the back. It's a problem Mourinho has inherited and to everyone's surprise he's not turned Roma into a dour 1-0 grind out a result classic Mou team, possibly because Roma do not have the players for that and Fonseca had the same problem, He made Roma play some really nice attacking football at times but they also had a tendency to just implode defensively. 

38 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Agree but if the owners are really serious and want to compete we have to move forward. I Like the Dean Smith Story but feel we have all become over obsessed with him . Football is about money and success . 
you either try to compete or you just make up the numbers and become a feeder club for the CL contenders in the league. We are the latter at the moment and that’s not going to change.

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Few heavy spankings skewed the figures a bit but yep, they weren't exactly solid at the back. It's a problem Mourinho has inherited and to everyone's surprise he's not turned Roma into a dour 1-0 grind out a result classic Mou team, possibly because Roma do not have the players for that and Fonseca had the same problem, He made Roma play some really nice attacking football at times but they also had a tendency to just implode defensively. 

Sounds familiar....

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It is what it is...

I wasn't comparing anything yet people seem to want to have an argument about it. We already know the comparisons, we were there and we experienced it.

All I said was Bruce had a good win percentage and the best since Taylor (mk.1).

"Should not", really? Are you making rules now?

I know the comparison as do we all, facts are the facts and Bruce sits higher on the list than most former Villa managers. Does he not deserve any praise or respect? Are we to be hyper dismissive about it because it was the Championship? That run and win percentage got us to the Play-off final after all...

If we want to compare Smith, Bruce and Taylor all managed Villa in the Championship yet Smith has the poorest win percentage. That was the essence of my point.

There is nothing misleading about it, we all know it was in the Championship.

Premier League is superior to practically every other league in Europe are we to dismiss other win percentages because it isn't PL.

The Championship is a very competitive league and better than many European top flight leagues, I don't understand why many are so quick to dismiss it.

So you were comparing? Make your mind up.

I don’t think you can compare win percentages of manager is different leagues, domestic or otherwise because it is a flawed comparison. (Or not a comparison…..)

As for Bruce I’ve zero interest in getting into that and it is totally off topic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Disgraceful lack of respect , we still have a manager last time I looked . 

Yeah 14 pages of excited posts clambering to dump our manager and jump on the first exotic name that comes along because we’ve had a rough run of results. 

Modern football is a hot pile of garbage sometimes. 

• Like 3

Â