Paulo Fonseca

MaVilla

39 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The mention of Lampard is in relation to Fonseca. I would prefer Lampard over Fonseca, he brings more to the table. I would not want Lampard unless we could convince him and Terry to co manage, but that could be brilliant or a shitshow!

Potter is the standout. Good manager, his teams play good football, and he's a Villa man.

For now though Smith deserves a couple more games at least.

I swear I'm going to start flipping tables if people keep going on about this

• Haha 4

Lampard is nowhere near the standard required to coach a PL team. Havertz, Werner, Pulisic etc., who were used to being coached and briefed to the highest level under German coaches did not respond well to the 'up and at 'em' approach of Lampard. It would be the same as Sherwood all over again (maybe Frank's ego isn't quite at those levels). Tuchel has shown how deficient Lampard was at Chelsea.

• Like 1

I’d be very weary of Fonseca. Can’t say I’ve watched his teams much but just has the feel of a guy who has done a “satisfactory” job while in top level jobs..not the sort to really push us on. Gerrard would be a huge no because he’d bolt the minute the Liverpool job opened up. If we were to go the route of a manager with no PL experience, I’d love us to go completely left field with the River Plate manager, Marcelo Gallardo. If there is any truth to the links between us and Julian Alvarez, perhaps our setup has done some due diligence on him. Probably not, but it’d be a move I’d support 😄

8 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

He's overseen their 2 worst defeats in history and had a horrible run off a fantastic start last season.

I'm not sold.

Lost an impressive 6 in a row at one stage and 8 from 9

3 minutes ago, LockStockVilla said:

I’d be very weary of Fonseca. Can’t say I’ve watched his teams much but just has the feel of a guy who has done a “satisfactory” job while in top level jobs..not the sort to really push us on. Gerrard would be a huge no because he’d bolt the minute the Liverpool job opened up. If we were to go the route of a manager with no PL experience, I’d love us to go completely left field with the River Plate manager, Marcelo Gallardo. If there is any truth to the links between us and Julian Alvarez, perhaps our setup has done some due diligence on him. Probably not, but it’d be a move I’d support 😄

Gallardo would be class. He was heavily linked with the Barca job. He was a class player too - could really bring out the best of Buendia.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Well I mean…. He did support Villa as a kid, stands to reason he is a “Villa man”.

Which means what exactly? Loyalty of manager? Loyalty of fans? 

3 minutes ago, LockStockVilla said:

Whilst I'm not against going 'left field' per se, what exactly is the difference between Fonseca and Gallardo?

Fonseca in his one stint at a club who are expected to dominate their league did exactly that at Shaktar. 

Gallardo is hardly dominating the Primera is he. 

32 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The problem is, if you are a manager that wins you stay in your club.

You are only available if one of the following happens:

1) You messed up and got sacked - which makes everyone question how good you are
2) You come from a lesser team based on your good performances (like Smith did) and there is no guarantee to you will succeed at a higher level.

So, as far as I cant tell, there are no available 'better' options. Such a thing does not exist in the managerial world. 

We stick then. Only twist if better comes up, which is nigh on impossible for the reasons you mention. Even perceived better is no guarantee, see Benitez.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

We stick then. Only twist if better comes up, which is nigh on impossible for the reasons you mention. Even perceived better is no guarantee, see Benitez.

Everton is a weird one. Carlo Ancelotti and Rafa Benitez both struggling with inconsistency. Neither are 'bad managers'. 

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Which means what exactly? Loyalty of manager? Loyalty of fans? 

Not sure but the thread for 2 Villa men on this board can be embarrassing at times. One the current manager and one the ex captain 

• Thanks 1

Citing a 50%+ win percentage at Porto of all teams as evidence of him being a no-brainer is hilarious considering he got sacked during his only season with the club. For reference I just checked there and Koeman has a higher % with Barca than Fonseca did with any club outside of Shakhtar, maybe Purslow should get on the phone to him immediately in that case...

Anyway, Fonseca is a good coach but certainly wouldn't be a sure-fire success, and there's no way you can predict how coaches and teams mesh regardless. I don't follow Serie A as much as I used to/would like to but he did fine with Roma and not much more or less. Great fun to watch but all you have to do is look at their defensive record from before to during his time there for it to raise alarm bells. I'd be 50/50 on him personally.

However I like that Villa appear as though they'd be willing to cast the net a bit wider than simply limiting the scope to what British/Premier League managers are good (or perceived to be) as a lot of fans seem to. There's a whole wide world out there.

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Whilst I'm not against going 'left field' per se, what exactly is the difference between Fonseca and Gallardo?

Fonseca in his one stint at a club who are expected to dominate their league did exactly that at Shaktar. 

Gallardo is hardly dominating the Primera is he. 

Gallardo has been pretty successful though and won plenty of silverware. I think the length of his tenure at RP can be seen as a positive. You hardly see managers in that league spending 5+ years there, because their fans are pretty mental and you’d face the sack if results weren’t up to par. I don’t know everything about the guy but from what I’ve read he is also a  very flexible tactician. We need that so badly. 

14 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Gallardo would be class. He was heavily linked with the Barca job. He was a class player too - could really bring out the best of Buendia.

I like the sound of this. Also sign some more Argentinian players and then have an Argentinian manager to get the best out of them. 

What could go wrong ? ;)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, LockStockVilla said:

Gallardo has been pretty successful though and won plenty of silverware. I think the length of his tenure at RP can be seen as a positive. You hardly see managers in that league spending 5+ years there, because their fans are pretty mental and you’d face the sack if results weren’t up to par. I don’t know everything about the guy but from what I’ve read he is also a  very flexible tactician. We need that so badly. 

Fair points all. Would be an interesting appointment for sure. 

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I swear I'm going to start flipping tables if people keep going on about this

15 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Yeah, it's all complete bull****. . 

How is it BS? At worst, it's irrelevant, at best, it's the perfect scenario. Throw in an ex-captain who 'was' a Villa fan and it's the dream situation.... I like the fact our manager is a Villa fan. I like that Potter is a Villa Fan. It means something. If by some miracle a Villa fan can take us back to where we all (including the manager) think we should be, then, dreamland.

4 minutes ago, LockStockVilla said:

Any ideas if he can speak English?

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

How is it BS? At worst, it's irrelevant, at best, it's the perfect scenario. Throw in an ex-captain who 'was' a Villa fan and it's the dream situation.... I like the fact our manager is a Villa fan. I like that Potter is a Villa Fan. It means something. If by some miracle a Villa fan can take us back to where we all (including the manager) think we should be, then, dreamland.

It's bloody lip service that only means anything when things go well. It's nonsense dropped at the first sign of trouble. 

Â