Paulo Fonseca

MaVilla

This thread is for discussing the speculation around Paulo Fonseca - if you want to post about Dean Smith we have a thread for that, if you want to speak about other managers in world football, have a look in Other Football to see if there are threads around them, if not, feel free to start one.

So, for the second time of asking, no more posts in this thread that aren't about Fonseca please.

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I know absolutely **** all about Fonseca, other than the fact that he seems to be linked with most PL jobs when they come up, but he never seems to be appointed for some reason.

This is a good observation. I’ve heard his name so many times for other PL jobs and yet he’s never appointed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

So you were comparing? Make your mind up.

I don’t think you can compare win percentages of manager is different leagues, domestic or otherwise because it is a flawed comparison. (Or not a comparison…..)

As for Bruce I’ve zero interest in getting into that and it is totally off topic.

You brought up the comparison by stating vehemently we cannot compare the two, which I never did. You went off tangent: "different leagues" trotted out and so forth.

My initial post clearly stated Bruce has the highest Win percentage since Taylor's first stint, that is all.

It was YOU and a few others who started getting in a twist over comparisons. 

If you don't want to discuss Bruce let's just leave it there then because after all you have zero interest in it....

This also has everything to do with Fonseca as he too has a Win Percentage that also should not be acknowledged by the flawed logic of some as it was established in a weaker league such as Portugal and Ukrainian football. Surely nobody really believes that?

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You brought up the comparison by stating vehemently we cannot compare the two, which I never did. You went off tangent: "different leagues" trotted out and so forth.

My initial post clearly stated Bruce has the highest Win percentage since Taylor's first stint, that is all.

It was YOU and a few others who started getting in a twist over comparisons. 

If you don't want to discuss Bruce let's just leave it there then because after all you have zero interest in it....

If you bring up someone’s win percentage and say its the highest since Taylor that is a comparison. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

If you bring up someone’s win percentage and say its the highest since Taylor that is a comparison. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️

And, who started pointing fingers about making comparisons and what was allowed or not? Give you a hint, it was not me...

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

And, who started pointing fingers about making comparisons and what was allowed or not? Give you a hint, it was not me...

People including me pointed out it was a flawed comparison, because it is a flawed comparison. 

Just now, TrentVilla said:

People including me pointed out it was a flawed comparison, because it is a flawed comparison. 

However, the facts and figures remain whether you and others like him or not...comparisons aside and all.

So Fonseca: by the same logic we cannot compare his Win Percentage either then if we use the same parameters of having managed in lesser leagues? Okaaaaay 🤔

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

However, the facts and figures remain whether you and others like him or not...comparisons aside and all.

So Fonseca: by the same logic we cannot compare his Win Percentage either then if we use the same parameters of having managed in lesser leagues? Okaaaaay 🤔

Yes, they do Bruce had a very good win percentage in the Championship.

But no I don't think win percentages can be compared between different leagues, domestically or otherwise as I'm fairly sure I already said. I'm not even sure they are a relevant stat to compare in the same league because they aren't in any context.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Yes, they do Bruce had a very good win percentage in the Championship.

He certainly did 😉

And Fonseca had a great win percentage in Ukrainian football, however is it any better than the Championship? Are we allowed to make comparisons anymore?! 🤐

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I know next to zero about this fella but it’s certainly not someone that gets me excited.

If we pull the trigger I’ll obviously be fully behind him and the team but it all sounds a bit meh right now. 

You and many more, but for how long ? 

22 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Still got over 51% win rate at Roma. Something we have never seen at Villa by any of our managers

O'Neill must've been close giving we were generally averaging 60 points in his seasons.

TBF that's 19 wins in a premier league season so straight away 57 points plus draws and you're talking top 4 standard so unrealistic for many on that list.

The one upside to Fonseca would be his relationship with Mendes … However, he isn’t listed as a current client of Gestifute on Transfrmarkt…

Which would make sense of the fact that they represent both Gattuso - who was lined up instead of Fonseca for Spurs, and  Lage who ended up at Wolves again over Fonseca …

Big warning flag so It’s a NO from me !

Edited by thabucks

11 hours ago, Jbvilla909 said:

Emery off to Newcastle it seems leaving Paulo available. 

Lose on Friday and I think we'll move quickly, if it's for Paulo that reminds to be seen.

Nope. Apparantly rejecting them.

As for Fonseca, I am not sure if he would be the right choice for us as the new head coach.

I do remember a bit of a love in for him on here many years ago though but that now too seems to have simmered.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Â