Paulo Fonseca

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Matthias Jaissle

Yeah, he's probably the one. Doing the Red Bull career path of leading Salzburg to get primed for the Leipzig gig.

Would a very interesting name and a huge gamble.

Edit: Fun side note he apparently worked in Denmark and Bröndby for 2 years so...

Edited by sne

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, he's probably the one. Doing the Red Bull career path of leading Salzburg to get primed for the Leipzig gig.

Would a very interesting name and a huge gamble.

Maybe. Jesse Marsch is pretty young too so unless he gets sacked at Leipzig and i think he’s doing pretty well, that might not come up for a while. At 33 though, would be a huge gamble.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Paraphrasing: 

If we got rid of Smith 

#1 Potter 

#2 Lampard

Never said that either. I said I'd prefer Lampard over Fonseca (whom I consider an average foreign manager). I see Fonseca as a Portuguese Steve Bruce.

I just think the remit for any new gaffer should be:

1. Good with bringing through youngsters.

2. Plays entertaining football.

3. Will get the team passing and moving.

Lampard ticks all those boxes. I think people see him as a worse manager than he actually is. He is one of those managers fans love to hate on, like Bruce.

I would prefer Smith to stay and turn it around. I'd prefer Potter. But other than Potter who else would be a manager that can take us forward? I don't see any other good option that would take the job. For me Lampard has shown more than Gerrard. Scotland with Rangers is a two team championship. Terry has not managed yet and Fonseca is a manager that has never managed in England, probably can't speak English, never done anything of note outside of Porto. 

After Potter what are the better options? Nuno? Howe? Dyche?

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

How is managing Aston Villa a 'dream job', and why would anyone think they could 'bring back the glory years'? In all honesty, we are complete career killer. Since Houllier retired with ill health, we have had one manager who dropped a division then went to Belgium, one manager who has dropped down the divisions and is currently unemployed, two managers for whom managing Villa was their last managerial job despite having done so half a decade ago, and one guy who went to the MLS. The most respectable post-Villa career is Steve frigging Bruce. 

Even go back before Houllier, O'Neill got a couple of jobs but nothing major. Not sure Taylor ever worked again and O'Leary, Little and Gregory  just disappeared from the top flight

As for the glory years, any manager would either have balls of steel or extremely deluded if he thinks he can win us a title in the next decade

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

How is managing Aston Villa a 'dream job', and why would anyone think they could 'bring back the glory years'? In all honesty, we are complete career killer. Since Houllier retired with ill health, we have had one manager who dropped a division then went to Belgium, one manager who has dropped down the divisions and is currently unemployed, two managers for whom managing Villa was their last managerial job despite having done so half a decade ago, and one guy who went to the MLS. The most respectable post-Villa career is Steve frigging Bruce. 

Spot on and unfortunately you can say the same about the players. We've barely seen a player poached since we lost our entire midfield about 10-11 years ago and of course Grealish in the summer. We are like a graveyard for managers and players alike.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 2

We talk some bollox about players but at least there is a modicum of logic and a few common schools of thought are established.

However, switch to new managers and people are completely out of their wheelhouse. This thread is barmy. 😄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

How is managing Aston Villa a 'dream job', and why would anyone think they could 'bring back the glory years'?

Surprised I'm actually replying to this... Do people only read half-sentences before becoming too excited by their possible reply to bother reading further?

#1. Managing Aston Villa would be a dream job......... for a Villa fan. As per the rest of my sentence.

#2. 'Why would anyone think they could bring back the glory years?' Well perhaps through the wealth and support of the obviously ambitious owners. Why wouldn't an ambitious manager think big? You would prefer we brought in someone who thought it admirable just to keep us up?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Never said that either. I said I'd prefer Lampard over Fonseca (whom I consider an average foreign manager). I see Fonseca as a Portuguese Steve Bruce.

I just think the remit for any new gaffer should be:

1. Good with bringing through youngsters.

2. Plays entertaining football.

3. Will get the team passing and moving.

Lampard ticks all those boxes. I think people see him as a worse manager than he actually is. He is one of those managers fans love to hate on, like Bruce.

I would prefer Smith to stay and turn it around. I'd prefer Potter. But other than Potter who else would be a manager that can take us forward? I don't see any other good option that would take the job. For me Lampard has shown more than Gerrard. Scotland with Rangers is a two team championship. Terry has not managed yet and Fonseca is a manager that has never managed in England, probably can't speak English, never done anything of note outside of Porto. 

After Potter what are the better options? Nuno? Howe? Dyche?

4 hours ago, Philosopher said:

No average foreign managers please! 

Graham Potter my number one if Smith is to be replaced.

Otherwise prefer Lampard. At least he would get the midfield functioning and bring through the youth.

We must get a manager brave enough to play youngsters.

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Even go back before Houllier, O'Neill got a couple of jobs but nothing major. Not sure Taylor ever worked again and O'Leary, Little and Gregory  just disappeared from the top flight

As for the glory years, any manager would either have balls of steel or extremely deluded if he thinks he can win us a title in the next decade

Steady, Gregory went on to manage Chennaiyin in the Indian Super League. Led them to glory too!!!

Don’t want Fonseca. Think he’s overrated and hasn’t done anything special as a manager.

But even taking the claret and blue specs off the Villa job is a huge and attractive job for most managers. You have a club that has fantastic facilities, recent investments in both the training ground and youth academy, very promising youth players and then the likes of Chuck, Archer, the Ramsey brothers and JPB. A fairly balanced squad that still needs further work but one that should be a top half team. Investment from the owners who themselves have done everything right.

With the right manager everything is in place. Hopefully Dean can perform a miracle and change his fortunes because I think 99% of us want that but it’s not looking good. My hope is we get someone up and coming that has done well in “less competitive leagues”, like France, Germany, Portugal etc. I think the Villa job today is a huge pull 

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I've graduated, spent a decade living in Asia, got married, managed a business, started buying a house, lost my hair and am now writing a will, and our 'glory years' were still before I was born. 

• Like 1

The quality of Managerial appointments correlate to the quality of your owners in the main (bar outrageous strokes of luck). It's the decision maker's knowledge, judgement and level of ambition that dictate if we get a good manager. The shit uninspired appointments of yester year perfectly reflected Ellis, Lerner and Xia in that regard and now that we are under a completely different ownership group so I don't the graveyard stuff is relevant . I mean Lerner made an appointment based on a **** letter from SAF ffs "Sir Alex Ferguson wrote to me after the appointment, a proper letter, talking about his feelings about Alex. It was something you don't easily forget and it's now in a safe deposit box. Given what Sir Alex Ferguson means to the game of football, I don't think you could get many things that you would be more proud of, or reflect better on Alex McLeish." Shudder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Whilst I'm not against going 'left field' per se, what exactly is the difference between Fonseca and Gallardo?

Fonseca in his one stint at a club who are expected to dominate their league did exactly that at Shaktar. 

Gallardo is hardly dominating the Primera is he. 

Gallardo record is the best in Rivers history. Just sayin 

Â