Paulo Fonseca

MaVilla

We can throw around as many stats as we like but it often comes down to the fit. Sometimes a manager just fits a club and everything clicks. Ron Saunders record both before and after his time here was nothing to write home about, but here……wooow! 

There’s always an element of luck involved no matter how much due diligence is done, whether signing players or managers. David Moyes was under a lot of pressure two summers ago. Not many in here would have held a big party if we’d appointed him then. Fast forward two years and there’d be a stampede to get him. Humans, so unpredictable. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Fonseca has done it in 5 clubs across multiple countries and got SD to the knockout stage of the Champions League. That is more than Gerrard has achieved

His career - great season at Pacos De Ferreira, sacked from the Porto job, unable to replicate success at PDF, gets a decent win rate out of a top 4 side again, sustained success at Shakhtar, followed by sacked at Roma for not being good enough and regressing. 

He's not 'done it at 5 clubs', he's done it at arguably 3. As for multiple countries... well kinda, 2 (Portugal and Ukraine). Roma was not a success story. 

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

what story with Dzeko?

Here is a part of it. https://www.chiesaditotti.com/2021/1/25/22248449/dzeko-fonseca-feud-roma

"Dzeko was also reportedly upset with the club's decision to dismiss team manager Gianluca Gomber following Roma's loss to Spezia in the Coppa Italia last week. Gomber was one of two Roma employees dismissed following that controversial match in which Fonseca made six substitutions, one more than the new rules allow. As a result, the fixture was officially registered as a 3-0 defeat, and Gomber, who was close with several players, became the sacrificial lamb."

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

Here is a part of it. https://www.chiesaditotti.com/2021/1/25/22248449/dzeko-fonseca-feud-roma

"Dzeko was also reportedly upset with the club's decision to dismiss team manager Gianluca Gomber following Roma's loss to Spezia in the Coppa Italia last week. Gomber was one of two Roma employees dismissed following that controversial match in which Fonseca made six substitutions, one more than the new rules allow. As a result, the fixture was officially registered as a 3-0 defeat, and Gomber, who was close with several players, became the sacrificial lamb."

Nearly as bad as bringing Ashley Young on as a substitute in CM.

• Haha 2

The merry go around model is fine. Just have to know when to sack. Roman was ahead of his time.

As long as he improves us the first 2 years. If wheels fall off the 3rd season you get rid and bring in the next guy.

This is modern football and it's nothing wrong with it. Longevity died a long time ago.

No average foreign managers please! 

Graham Potter my number one if Smith is to be replaced.

Otherwise prefer Lampard. At least he would get the midfield functioning and bring through the youth.

We must get a manager brave enough to play youngsters.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Otherwise prefer Lampard. At least he would get the midfield functioning and bring through the youth.

I would take Gerrard over Lampard tbh.

Lampards teams are so frail and leaky.

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Desi Perkins

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Philosopher said:

Absolutely not - he hasn't done anything in his managerial career other than fail with comparatively very strong sides for the divisions he was in. 

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I would take Gerrard over Lampard tbh.

Lampards teams are so frail and leaky.

Thing is our youngsters like the Chukwuemekas, Ramseys, Barry have higher ceilings then most first teamers. So bringing them through is key to our clubs fortunes. Lampard would be great for all the talented young midfielders we have.

So while leaky is right, I think the benefits would be worth it longer term.

Edited by Philosopher

Â