The_Steve

Timing is a funny thing. Potter & Brighton have done very well for themselves. His stock is clearly rising and I think he's a very good manager whilst Brighton are 'punching above their weight' currently.

They started this season very well, they also started with 4 straight victories last season. However, were people so buoyant about them last season when they went on an 11 game winless streak in the league from late September to late December or when they went on a separate 6 game losing streak in February-March? They finished the season very strong on an unbeaten 8 game run in the league, but until that point, his record was very similar to Chris Hughton's time at Brighton.

Actually think they'd be a good fit for Ange Postecoglou but perhaps he wouldn't want to leave Celtic at this stage of the season.

Yeah their style would fit DS but not sure he'll be that high up on their shortlist, probably needs to show he can get Norwich straight back up before he starts figuring in premier league clubs shortlists again. If he's in the frame then Chris Wilder should be in the frame aswell for example.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

brighton are a good team and potter is a good manager

they arent that good though, they're a long way off the top 6 barring one of them imploding and making a mess of their season, they're catching them in the same way that Leicester were catching them, then west ham were catching them, then it will be someone else catching them...the sky and PL sales pitch of the worlds most competitive league 

I get all that. However Burnley and Wolves as newly promoted teams have figured in europa in last 5 years. Sheffield United perhaps aswell if 19/20 had continued as normal could've achieved the same so given Brighton have been in premier league since 2017 so fighting for europe should be realistic target given how they're playing although Potter leaving could derail that.

Last season 6th was 56 points I think so I see no reason why that couldn't be realistic target for Brighton. We pretty much got that in 20/21 so just shows you need an excellent start and it's a nice buffer to have when you get the points in early for any indifferent form you have post xmas.

Guys like Trossard and Mcalister are joys to watch currently so next guy in just has to continue building on that.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Wouldn't be happy if I was Brighton, going great everyone on the same hymn sheet, now Potter wants to leave with most of his back room staff. 

Potter's win ratio of 31.1% at Brighton is not that impressive and anything below 40% at Villa is usually associated with a manager who failed.

It is difficult to see what appeals to Chelsea about him but easy to see why Potter would want the job.

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Potter's win ratio of 31.1% at Brighton is not that impressive and anything below 40% at Villa is usually associated with a manager who failed.

It is difficult to see what appeals to Chelsea about him but easy to see why Potter would want the job.

Yes. The myth of Brighton is strong. A very surprising appointment. 

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Yes. The myth of Brighton is strong. A very surprising appointment. 

The only thing I can think of, is that he has a reputation of being progressive, and has been known to send his players into the community, doing stuff outside their comfort zone.

So the new owners might want to rehabiliate the brand, after the Abramovich era.

Potter has a degree in social science and so maybe he will give his players lectures in critical theory.

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Will be interesting what direction Brighton go with their next appointment, I imagine it will be a manager of similar style of play. 

It’s hard to believe their next manager could do a better job. 

The ground work had been laid so its just someone to build on it not rip it up and start again.   I think they will be fine.

Kind of feel sorry for Brighton fans, Potter was working miracles there and they were on the up.  I can see them regressing now regardless of who they get in. 

When is the last time a manager left us for bigger and better things?

Â