The_Steve

• 1 month later...

McAlister miss summed them up I think.

Guy gets infront of cash on left and with Maupay unmarked all he has to do is cross it early. Instead he takes about five extra crosses into the box, cross gets blocked and then McAlister can't keep down from a reasonably good distance.

Apart from first 20 minutes they offered very little though apart from endless sideways passing.

They've only what won about 4 games since middle of September so really good start to the season has kept the away from relegation trouble.

They're overrated, have only won three league games since September and those wins were against Watford, Brentford, and Everton, so three of the worst performing teams in the league.

That said the flip side to that is that they don't lose many games, in fact before today only the top four had lost less games than them, even now they've still only lost seven which can only be bettered by the current top four and equalled by Arsenal and Southampton, so us beating them still a good result.

• Like 1

Potter is much more highly regarded by neutrals than Brighton fans, many of them not impressed by keeping the ball but not actually doing anything with it.

The odd run of games where there is such a lack of cutting edge you'd put down to players not being clinical infront of goal

But when its going on for two seasons, you have to look at the manager.

• Like 1

They're the new Swansea.

Small team gets promoted then plays some easy on the eye football but ultimately don't do any better than a mid table finish and actually struggle for the most part. Manager gets lots of plaudits and is heralded as the new hope for British football, whilst some of their players get insanely overrated, which makes you wonder why, with such a great manager and an abundance of talent, they can't finish higher than 12th?

They're alright, but the way they're talked about I often wonder what people actually see in them to deserve the fawning.

12 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

They're the new Swansea.

Small team gets promoted then plays some easy on the eye football but ultimately don't do any better than a mid table finish and actually struggle for the most part. Manager gets lots of plaudits and is heralded as the new hope for British football, whilst some of their players get insanely overrated, which makes you wonder why, with such a great manager and an abundance of talent, they can't finish higher than 12th?

They're alright, but the way they're talked about I often wonder what people actually see in them to deserve the fawning.

Agree and also then agree with rodders, Swansea had michu and then the African guy who went to City, Brighton don't have that despite buying 3 £20m attacking players (sold one who flopped) 

They need just a bit more quality all over the pitch but then it's hard to know what they are or want to be, they won't get Europe with that squad, they'll add a couple of £10-20m players every summer, I'd say they punch above their weight and if they made a couple of bad decisions or lost people they could just as easy plummit rather than go upwards 

Swansea at least finished top eight one season on 56 points and finished top half on another two occasions and also won the League Cup.

Brighton haven't got close to that, since promotion they haven't finished higher than 15th and haven't taken more than 41 points.

This year will probably have their best season, but will have to improve on their recent form if they want to significantly improve on their recent points totals and finish in the top half.

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Just don't have the match winners. Be interesting if they went out and spent 50m or 200k a week on one.

I think Potter would be incredible here. Absolutely incredible.

18 hours ago, andym said:

Potter is much more highly regarded by neutrals than Brighton fans, many of them not impressed by keeping the ball but not actually doing anything with it.

The odd run of games where there is such a lack of cutting edge you'd put down to players not being clinical infront of goal

But when its going on for two seasons, you have to look at the manager.

Only thing I'd say to that is they spent probably more money under Hughton yet were pretty much bottom six and playing defensive football. So in that respect Potter has advanced them and they could still finish top 10.

I think issue here is Brighton will just hit the wall like many clubs. Upwardly mobile for many years but reach their limit and younger fans who can't remember them nearly going into non league in the late 90s or playing at Whitdean will start making noise of why they can't qualify for europe like Burnley and Wolves in recent seasons.

In terms of how he plays it reminds me of what Rodgers did at Swansea and Rodgers got chances at bigger clubs since so would still expect Potter to upscale at some point given he got the Swedish side he coached into the europa knockouts which was a pretty good achievement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Some strange takes in here. For perspective they are well on course for their best season in their history in both PL league position and points wise. Some of you lot are bizarre. 

If you don’t win every game you should win, you are shit. 

On 26/02/2022 at 18:06, VillaChris said:

McAlister miss summed them up I think.

Guy gets infront of cash on left and with Maupay unmarked all he has to do is cross it early. Instead he takes about five extra crosses into the box, cross gets blocked and then McAlister can't keep down from a reasonably good distance.

Apart from first 20 minutes they offered very little though apart from endless sideways passing.

They've only what won about 4 games since middle of September so really good start to the season has kept the away from relegation trouble.

That was us last year though. We got like 5 wins in first 8 games then only got 31 points from 30 games in rest of the season 

38 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Some strange takes in here. For perspective they are well on course for their best season in their history in both PL league position and points wise. Some of you lot are bizarre. 

Is it though, for the last 3 seasons nearly every Brighton starting player has been superior in Villa fans eyes than our own. I have heard Maupay, Ryan, Webster, Lamptey, Bissouma and Trossard on here called brilliant plus Potter but he might just finally beat Chris Hughton previous best

Â