Energy Bills

Genie

11 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Tidal is one I'd  like to know more on. My understanding about Swansea was that the stated benefits v costs and impacts were massively overstated,  but I really  don't  know the detail.  

5000 cycles - pretty decent assuming one per day, and probably stacks up now in economic terms (when I last looked properly  it was pre price rise and fewer cycles)

There are also some very interesting wave power experiments going on off Shetland.  One of the solutions just tested was significantly better than their original estimates and looks like a real genuine contender. 

All from a British company and made in Britain too. 

I suspect the aim would be to anchor a load of these devices amongst the wind turbines and key in to their existing infrastructure. 

• Like 1

Sorry, its Orkney these tests are taking place. 

Can't believe arsed to do links but Google AWS Ocean Energy Waveswing.  Exceeded the developers own calculations of energy generation by 20% during trials. 

There are also some interesting videos from inside the device whilst in action with a nut suspended on a piece of string in front of the camera. 

Octopus Energy are allowing people to sign up to their tracker tariff (which is currently cheaper than the capped price and expected to go lower)

Link

Octopus Tracker is Britain's first tariff to truly follow the wholesale price of energy.

Every day, we update the price of your energy based on an independently published wholesale market price — the price available to all suppliers.

Discussion about it on HotUkDeals >>here<<

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Octopus Energy are allowing people to sign up to their tracker tariff (which is currently cheaper than the capped price and expected to go lower)

Link

Discussion about it on HotUkDeals >>here<<

Ill definitely be joing octopus when my contract exoires with BG

45 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill definitely be joing octopus when my contract exoires with BG

Do the sums with regards to exit fees, if it’s only something like £30 then it might be worth paying to leave BG and over to Octopus.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Do the sums with regards to exit fees, if it’s only something like £30 then it might be worth paying to leave BG and over to Octopus.

I have been with Bulb, wanting to move to Octopus. Was crossing my fingers that Octopus would be picked to take over. We have a Mixergy smart hot water tank and an electric heating system that can he used fairly  flexibly as the house  retains heat really well. Looking forward to seeing  how it might work out with a flexible tariff

• Like 1

Octopus look like the most innovative supplier to me at the moment. They're also installing heat pumps themselves at near boiler prices and also just started installing solar panels. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64471262

UK pays more for electricity than it costs to make

The way electricity prices are set has pushed UK household bills up by £7.2bn over two years, analysis suggests.

Under existing rules, energy suppliers pay the highest price for wholesale electricity no matter how it is made.

Gas-fired power stations are the most expensive way to generate electricity, but only make about 40% of all electricity used by UK homes.

That means consumers are paying over the odds for power that is generated any other way.

But because wholesale gas prices have risen sharply since Russia invaded Ukraine, gas powered electricity generation has been more expensive than nuclear power and up to three times as expensive as renewables such as wind farms.

That has also meant windfall profits for firms that make renewable energy, which have been paid much more for their power than it costs them to generate.

Jonathan Sims, an energy analyst who wrote the CTI report, said the findings showed how the global gas market over the last two years had skewed British power prices.

He said these prices did not reflect the different technology the UK now uses to generate electricity.

I'm absolutely useless with this sort of stuff, but my current tariff with Scottish Power is:

Electric: 33.83p per unit, standing charge 49.14p. 

Gas: 10.334p per unit, standing charge 28.48p.

The Octopus tracker tariff is:

Gas: 6.85p (& has been sub 7p for the last week), standing charge is 26.84p.

Electric: 22.91p per unit (hasn't been above 33p all month, and only above 30p once in the last month), standing charge is 47.5p.

I'd be absolutely insane not to change, wouldn't I? I looked at my bill for Scottish Power from the last three months. Was £850 & the house was never above 18 degrees. Piss take. 

Edited by Milfner

5 minutes ago, Milfner said:

I'm absolutely useless with this sort of stuff, but my current tariff with Scottish Power is:

Electric: 22.91p per unit (hasn't been above 33p all month, and only above 30p once in the last month), standing charge is 47.5p.

I'd be absolutely insane not to change, wouldn't I? I looked at my bill for Scottish Power from the last three months. Was £850 & the house was never above 18 degrees. Piss take. 

There’s no tie in with Octopus either, so if the wholesale price did shoot up again you can jump back into the government capped tariff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Milfner said:

You would be insane not to switch.

Anyone thinking about moving to Octopus, make sure you do it via an existing customer's referral link so you both get a free £50 credit. PM me if you require one.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Shell records biggest profits in 115 years ($39.9b) whilst people freeze to death. Something is VERY wrong.

We can look forward to leaders in years to come talk about how they should have done more to protect people blah blah blah.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Shell records biggest profits in 115 years ($39.9b) whilst people freeze to death. Something is VERY wrong.

And British Gas are forcing vulnerable people onto prepaid meters who will no doubt end up with no energy whatsoever. There needs to be a significant change in the UK - there is nobody looking after the people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Ita a **** shit show. People should noy be standing for this shit, the russian war is their excuse for this

Energy prices are at the current price because of Russia, wholesale prices are blah blah, the CEO's Mrs needs a limited free credit card, an the directors all need new Range Rovers blah blah blah.

Energy prices are sky high because the Shells etc know they can get away with it under this government, purely profiteering, take a look at there profits, they haven't been touched with the crisis we are in!!!!

Â