Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/21 at 22:59

9 minutes ago, trevor said:

Next week Chelsea will more than likely take a full first team into a Champions League fixture. We don’t have a fixture. 

And once again, the relevancy to both our game, and Dean Smith?

23 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, it is less flattering to Frank but it just shows that it was down to the manager to make the improvement. It is very rare to see such a massive improvement in results and performance with the same set of players. This is why he gets the plaudits that he gets imo

I'm interested in the way Tuchel fares this year. I think we'll find out what he's made of sooner rather than later, as there is nowhere to hide in the Prem. I personally hope he lives up to the hype, as it can only be good for the competition to have the best players and coaches in the world.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trevor said:

Which is why I wrote tie, not game.

The side we put out did more than enough to be in a position to win the game and the tie by getting to penalties, there’s nothing more a different 11 would have done against a surprisingly strong Chelsea side.

Thinking villalad21 agreeing with you supports your point is a funny road to go down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Anyway! Did anyone notice when Barkley chased JPB back and got everything how Shakes and Deano were clearly saying "**** never done that for us" whilst laughing about it.

I thought exactly the same, what we saw was a player that probably wants to play but more importantly to him, someone who is looking g for another contract there or somewhere else.

• Like 2

A disappointing outcome but a very encouraging performance again at Stamford Bridge which really goes to show how far we have come to play a second string side and compete like we did gives me real hope for our future.

When the team sheets were announced I must say I presumed it would be a comfortable night for Chelsea and was expecting a two or three nil defeat, but our lads proved me wrong so fair play to each and every one of them, and to Smith for having faith in the fringe players, he was a fraction away from getting this one absolutely 100% spot on. It would have been such a fantastic scene if we had come out on top in the shoot out and to see the players running over to the fantastic support of the travelling Villa fans but alas it wasn't to be. 

I have seen posts debating whether or not this was the Chelsea "first" team, well, of course it wasn't but they have a pool of about 20 players that could easily be labelled as part of this so called "best eleven" so it's not quite the same. To put it in context a little, FIVE of their starting line up cost a combined total of £230M pounds, the other 6 were (are) quality players that have come through their youth system (or bought in at a young age) and on top of that they still brought on two other players at a combined cost of £112M with another £100M worth of subs just warming the bench for the night. Compare that to our starting eleven which included six players costing £101M only and just Konsa (£12M) on the bench with the rest all our future young stars. I think we can take great heart from the result and more so our performance so to be honest I am feeling very upbeat today with everything about our club.

Don't get me wrong, money isn't everything and I am not suggesting just because Chelsea's squad value is a lot bigger than ours that we can't/shouldn't be able to compete, we definitely can, we proved this last night and hopefully we can keep improving season on season.

I love the fact Smith had such faith in the likes of Archer, JPG, Chuk ETC and I love how he is starting to be very flexible with his formations and changing things up, last night being a great example starting with a back 4 then immediately when Lukaku comes on he switches to a back 3 - Get the feeling he loves pitting his wits against the so-called elite managers.

Deserved to take it to pens, lost it a bit for 20+ mins at the start of the second half but that aside thought we were more than decent. As for the pens, my two penneth - El Ghazi's was unsaveable, Young's was very disappointing (got to hit the target, rule Nr 1), Nakamba - not going to give him pelters but I wasn't convinced when I saw him step up and though he hit the target, if the keeper goes the right way he saves it, again - a poor pen. Konsa's and Buendia's were fine but the damage was already done. Was expecting more from Steer to be honest, was hoping for the baggies stare but that never came and he only got close to the last one and that was in the top corner, shame.

Finally, the goal (which deserves a mention) - great cross from Matty and that was some header by Archer, fair play to him finishing like that after missing a couple of early chances, a sign of a good striker. Learning from the likes of Ings and Watkins (& Davis :P) is going to be fantastic for his development. 

All good, now let's beat those f****** on Saturday! 

• Like 4

was it just me that was pissed off with match reports that seemed to focus on Chelsea mixing up their team and playing " fringe " players .. 

Tuchel saying they had 2 days to work with the team as if these players have never met each other before and they'd just dragged them off from a kick about in the park 2 days ago  rather than players they spent in excess of £300m acquiring ...   

it was almost like they had to justify why it took Chelsea penalties to beat us 

anyway minor grumbling apart , we got some squad players a little bit more match fitness , the youngsters gave a good account of themselves and we can focus on winning the more prestigious FA cup instead of the two bit league cup . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I'll take the bait. 

You do realise that the Chelsea forwards in that game cost more than our whole team? It's called a squad for a reason. If we'd gone and played all our best players and lost, like we did a couple of games ago, and then they were knackered for Saturday lunchtime, Smith would have been heavily criticised by more than just you. 

Please try to find more to be positive about because right now should be a very pleasing experience being a Villa fan. I'm loving it! 

I thought Dean played it dead right....opportunity to give the kids valuable experience without risking points, we would probably have lost playing the first 11 if there is such a thing....so well done Dean.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I went with Hause as MOTM. He was immense. He imposed himself on the game and was there when he was needed each time, particularly when Lukaku was in on goal with fresh legs late in the game. On a night when many of our players covered themselves in glory I thought he just edged it, and given his lack of playing time recently, his performance was all the more impressive for that. Well done that man. We've a quality Mings understudy.

THAT tackle, BOF! It was as good as a goal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I went with Hause as MOTM. He was immense. He imposed himself on the game and was there when he was needed each time, particularly when Lukaku was in on goal with fresh legs late in the game. On a night when many of our players covered themselves in glory I thought he just edged it, and given his lack of playing time recently, his performance was all the more impressive for that. Well done that man. We've a quality Mings understudy.

I like him, always have, I think he is a bit unlucky not to get more game time....pleased that he played last night.

He copes with aerial balls and muscle, better than most....I think he is a bit underrated to be honest.

I think we are lucky to have such a good understudy....I heard mooted West Ham was sniffing, just like them to play him and get a good tune out of him.

Particularly, with set pieces and aerial balls, he makes me feel safe...His ball control is not the best, but I like the boy.

Why  are our players so fragile?.....it seems every game we play someone picks up an injury.

These "injuries" seem to take months to get over, where some clubs never seem to pick up anything like we do.

I wonder if we will ever get to see our strongest team play this season...there is always someone bloody injured.

And while I am in a grumpy mood (well I am 63!) what is it with the biased commentary....? why can't we have knowledgeable, neutral people commentating anymore?

grrrrr....

VTID Derek

As others have said, it was a disappointing result but an encouraging performance. I feel proud about how we lost and also excited about the future. It seems like we are starting to bridge the gap between us and the top teams. We will hopefully learn from this disappointment and have a good crack at the FA Cup next year. UTV!

Edited by Villa_Vids

5 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is probably because he instantly transformed a team from leaking goals and not scoring enough at the other end into a team with a rock solid defence and scoring more goals. He managed to qualify for the Champions League via league position and he won the Champions League. These did not look like happening with Frank as manager. It can be reasonably deduced that TT was the reason for the very rapid improvement

Says more about Frank. Was totally out of his depth. 

6 hours ago, trevor said:

Next week Chelsea will more than likely take a full first team into a Champions League fixture. We don’t have a fixture. 

But again, even with our first team, we lose that game on paper. Champions league game next week or not, they fielded £100M of striker that we don't have. 

52 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Says more about Frank. Was totally out of his depth. 

Don't know how you can determine that. The previous season Frank did an amazing job getting Chelsea into the top 4 with a transfer ban on the club. He brought on a lot of the young players very well too. He got Derby to the Playoff final but obviously lost that and he has managed Mount from a kid on loan in the Championship to an full English international. 

Â