Pre-match thread

ender4

Go strong or go home. Absolutely no clue why people are putting Steer in their teams, unless you actively want to head out of the cup.

------------------------Martinez-------------------

Cash----------Konsa---Mings------Young

-----------------------Nakamba--------------------

----------------------Luiz---Ramsey----------------------

Buendia----------Watkins----------Bailey

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 4

I'd play:                       

Steer

Cash    Tuanzebe    Hause    Young

Nakamba         Luiz

Buendia

Traore                                  El Ghazi

Watkins

We could give them a real game with this, and still be rotating about 70% of the team. Benefits of a good squad.

• Like 3

Agree with most of you, we need to go strong here...

Buendia needs to get a game.

Keep J. Ramsey in there, he's young and could play every other day if necessary.

I'd like to see one of the younger guns start though, Philogene-Bidace maybe?

Perhaps bring Ashley Young in.

Sanson has not played much at all since having his two bad injuries he'll surely be bench at the best.

Be real interesting to see our team line-up.

• Like 1

Steer

Cash Axel Hause Young

Chuk      Sanson

Traore        Emi2      El Ghazi

Watkins

(I don’t think he’ll play Ollie but would be good to get some more minutes in him after a disrupted pre season)

You think that Bailey won’t be risked here and with Axel not allowed to play against United at the weekend I’d expect him to start. I’d like to see this:

Martinez

Cash Axel Hause Young

Marv

Traore Sanson Luiz Buendia

Watkins 

Edited by Herman22
  • Like 1

Shame it wasn't an easier tie where we could have rested key players and got to see some of our exciting youth again but unfortunately it wasn't to be, therefore, I think we should go as strong as possible TBH and worry about Man Utd later (once we've progressed! ;))

Chelsea will no doubt make changes yet still be able to field a difficult side to beat, would expect the likes of Chilwell, James, Hudson-Odoi and Werner starting so obviously whilst being no mugs they may not all quite gel as their best eleven do.

I think the 3-5-2 as worked pretty well in the last two games but I think we need to try get our wide players some minutes whilst also making sure we have a really solid platform at the back therefore I'd probably go something like this:-

Martinez

Konsa  Tuanzebe  Mings  Young

Luiz       Nakamba

Traore         Buendia          Bailey

Watkins

I'd usually pick Steer in cup games but I think Martinez for this one because we look more assured when he plays, Konsa at RB for that extra defensive nous, Tuanzebe misses Man U so I think he definitely starts, Targett needs a rest / injured? So no brainer bringing in Young.

4-5-1 off the ball, counter quick and hit them at speed would be my game plan. 0-1 Watkins. 🙂 

• Like 2

I hope we go with a pretty strong team, I've always liked the league cup as a competition, but you can see why teams don't bother with it - you make about £400k for winning the competition against £2m for finishing one position higher in the league. Even an FA Cup win only gets you about the same money as the difference between finishing 10th rather than 11th in the Premier league. Finding ways to increase the value of our cup competitions is one of the things that the game really should be looking at rather than the ugly avarice of the super league and the biannual world cup.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

We’ve great options. Obviously can’t go with the team we played against Barrow or they’ll stuff us but no reason Buendia, Traore and Sanson can’t play this one. 

i do think we'll see buendia and traore start. i agree with sanson coming in too...if he doesn't play i'll start to suspect things going on behind the scenes there

I'd start -

Martinez

Cash--Tuanzebe--Hause--Young

Traore--Buendia--Nakamba--El Ghazi

Watkins--Ings

Give Watkins and Ings further chance to work on their partnership, whilst also giving Watkins some more minutes.

Give Tuanzebe some more minutes as he's illegible for the Man U game anyway,

Keep Martinez in goal, start Buendia and also give a start to those normally on the bench, especially El Ghazi, who I feel deserves a start after his recent contributions.

Then, depending on how the game's going, possibly bring on Archer, JPB and, if possible, give Bailey around 20 minutes? Although chances are that may too much of a risk, and resting him for Man U may be the best option?

May be a little light in the middle of the park but maybe have Luiz/Ramsey (give McGinn a rest) on the bench ready to come on if we're being overran.

Win 2-0 (one each for Watkins and Ings)    :flag: 

58 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

you make about £400k for winning the competition

I agree it is less than the other cups and why the big teams don't put the effort in. And yes, winning it only has about 400k in prize money but there is also the money made from gate receipts. We earned about 2.5m from getting to Cup Final against City. We get 45% of gate receipts which included 45% of a sell out Wembley with 90k people paying for tickets. 42k people at the bridge and it is £25 an adult and £12 a junior. Finger in the air stuff but say 2 adults for every one junior at the game would yield Villa about 320k for Wednesday's game. And if we get a televised game I believe that is worth another 100k to each of the clubs.If we can have a few games like that it would help the kitty. But the draw against Barrow gave us nothing as we kindly let Barrow keep our 45% of the gate receipt.

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ouchmefoot said:

Is there any way to watch this legally in the UK?

If not, are there likely to be streams? I remember struggling to find anything in the CC last year.

As far as I know the answer to the first question is no.

As for the second, as the game is being shown live in several other countries...almost certainly yes.

5 hours ago, Ouchmefoot said:

If not, are there likely to be streams? I remember struggling to find anything in the CC last year.

I'd be amazed if it's not on Hesgoal. Haven't missed a game on there for the last two seasons. 

• Like 1