Pre-match thread

ender4

Play the entire starting team. This is the actually only way we can get in Europe this year. Top 6 over entire season is way harder to achieve than winning the cup. We got to finals twice with absolutely dogshit teams. 

Edited by Alakagom
  • Like 2

Buendia, Traore, Watkins, El Ghazi all start for me.

Shows the difference in depth to this time last year when we'd put Kienan out.

Would rather Bailey gets a full week's training so on the bench here.

Would imagine Axel will play given he won't next league match.

Should go strong as think we've got the squad depth now to seriously challenge in two competitions and this is obviously easier to reach final of than FA cup.

No way Chelsea will be full strength so good chance of us to turn them over and given us more confidence for the season.

Assuming we will be sticking with the 3 at the back due to it being Chelsea could we see something like:

Steer

Konsa               Tuanzebe         Hause

Cash                 Sanson             Nakamba                 Young

Traore                Buendia              

Archer

Be harsh on El Ghazi maybe given his performance in the previous round.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Assuming we will be sticking with the 3 at the back due to it being Chelsea could we see something like:

Steer

Konsa               Tuanzebe         Hause

Cash                 Sanson             Nakamba                 Young

Traore                Buendia              

Archer

Be harsh on El Ghazi maybe given his performance in the previous round.

Why play Steer? What is the point? 

It's not like Martinez will suffer from fatigue. 

• Like 2

No idea what kind of team Chelsea will play here but it’s hugely doubtful that their main big guns will play (Lukaku, Mount, Havertz, etc). I think we need to rotate a little as well, as a couple need a rest or to recover from knocks and some need a game.  Be nice to have a cup run this year, whether it’s this or the FA Cup:

Martinez 

Cash    Tuanzebe      Hause     Young

Nakamba

Sanson (if fit)  Buendia

Traore          Watkins        El Ghazi

Subs:  Steer, Konsa, Targett, Ramsey 1, Ramsey 2, Chuk 1, Chuk 2, JPB, Archer

Full rest for Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Bailey, Ings.

Chelsea have got a 2nd team good enough to compete in the league;  It will be a 2nd string, but not your average 2nd string!

We could give this team a good game but not without our big hitters.

I suppose we will see where our priorities are!

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Chelsea have got a 2nd team good enough to compete in the league;  It will be a 2nd string, but not your average 2nd string!

We could give this team a good game but not without our big hitters.

I suppose we will see where our priorities are!

While that may very well be true, I'm not expecting their second team to be particularly gelled, which is a potential weakness we can exploit. We'll see what team we are going to field, it's good that we have enough options which allow us to field a strong side while at the same time resting many players you'd expect to start against United .

12 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Looking forward to seeing Sanson.  Hope his omission from the Everton game was not injury related and Smith knowing he was going to start on Wednesday.

I would be surprised if he started. He hasn't played since early April and you've seen how cautious we've been with Bailey so far. Sanson will be more of 20 minute sub cameos when he finally returns.

Think we'll just continue with usual midfield options or even place Buendia in there.

Chelsea could actually play Ross Barkley v us which would be amusing.

I thought they hadn't registered him in prem squad but he was on the bench last weekend. Probably will start likes of Chilwell and Hudson-Odoi who haven't played much this season. Saul Niguez starting again would be good for us.

If we weren't away to a top PL team, and there was an extra right back and a fifth CB, then we could rest all 11 of the starters from yesterday, e.g. 

Steer

(Mystery RB)    Hause    (Mystery CB)   Young

Nakamba

Traore            Brenda *     a Chuk           AEG

Archer       

( * My new smartphone autocorrect changes Buendía to Brenda. I think I'll try to work out how to disable it, as autocorrect sometimes does my head in!!!)  😬😑😖🤕           

Well, maybe in the following round if we draw a poor Championship team or a L1 team at home.                        

Absolutely must go for it, and only rest players if they need it medically or in terms of physio. It doesn't feel like we should go for the cup because we can't otherwise win a European spot. Not ready to concede that. To me it feels more like we need to go for it because nothing succeeds like success, and a winning squad mentality is something to practice and exercise at this critical stage. We're like a band that needs to rehearse in live situations until we get road-tight ... and I want to see Chelski lose lol.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1