Pre-match thread

ender4

6 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Think we can beat any team in this league on our day, the Chelsea game was changed by an individual mistake

I was watching an Atalanta Serie A match a few days ago, and I kept thinking about how much more robust and energetic Villa and dangerous are on a good day compared to Atalanta who are of course in the Champions this year. We really have to find a way to Europe! The Premier League seems a higher overall standard, and if what you say is true -- and I think it is -- we could surely beat many clubs in other good leagues, too. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Carney Chukwuemeka and Lamar Bogarde have both suggested on social media that they'll be playing tomorrow.

A mix of the youth we want to progress to the bench/first XI eventually and potential first teamer's who need minutes should mean putting out a decent side still. Let's hope Tuchel doesn't treat the league cup like Guardiola and he plays the kids. 

Guaranteed starters imo :-

Tuanzebe, Young, Nakamba, Buendia, El Ghazi and Traore

I think Martinez should play as we should expect plenty of attacking threat from will be an undoubtedly weakened but strong team.  Some of the positions are tougher to fill (a good thing) but up front?  **** it play Archer!  He earned that in the last round and being on the bench since he should be chomping.  Obviously Watkins and or Ings on the bench.

Sorry but Dean will be making numerous changes from the weekend. The fact of the matter is that the winner of the league cup gets £100,000, which is chicken feed. I am sure that we would like a decent run but our main priority is to get a top 10 place in the league this season. Hopefully our reserve team can beat Chelsea's reserve team tonight.   

I don't like that and I would love  a cup run and some silverware but that is the cold hard facts.

In couple of years with the CL reform it might be easier to win this trophy as all teams who play in Europe will probably have to play their U23 side in this competition.

18 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Sorry but Dean will be making numerous changes from the weekend. The fact of the matter is that the winner of the league cup gets £100,000, which is chicken feed. I am sure that we would like a decent run but our main priority is to get a top 10 place in the league this season. Hopefully our reserve team can beat Chelsea's reserve team tonight.   

I don't like that and I would love  a cup run and some silverware but that is the cold hard facts.

In couple of years with the CL reform it might be easier to win this trophy as all teams who play in Europe will probably have to play their U23 side in this competition.

it's not about the money though. who knows how long deano will be around...the owners are ambitious. look at eddie howe at bournemouth, for all his good work he left zero legacy there. i'd hate for deano to be the same when he leaves. frankly i don't care if we finish 10th or 12th. aside from a few quid it doesn't mean a great deal. lets have a proper go in the cups

besides been without silverware for too long and it's the one thing that blues have over us.

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it's not about the money though. who knows how long deano will be around...the owners are ambitious. look at eddie howe at bournemouth, for all his good work he left zero legacy there. i'd hate for deano to be the same when he leaves. frankly i don't care if we finish 10th or 12th. aside from a few quid it doesn't mean a great deal. lets have a proper go in the cups

besides been without silverware for too long and it's the one thing that blues have over us.

His legacy so far  is achieving promotion and  re-establishing ourselves as a premier league side. He also got us to a league cup final in which we fought hard but lost to Man City 2-1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

His legacy so far  is achieving promotion and  re-establishing ourselves as a premier league side. He also got us to a league cup final in which we fought hard but lost to Man City 2-1.

each to his own...i don't see it as much of a legacy. as great as those achievements are, i'd like to see something in the trophy cabinet (and i'm not counting the trophy for the playoff final...still have no reason why trophies are given for that)

16 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I was watching an Atalanta Serie A match a few days ago, and I kept thinking about how much more robust and energetic Villa and dangerous are on a good day compared to Atalanta who are of course in the Champions this year. We really have to find a way to Europe! The Premier League seems a higher overall standard, and if what you say is true -- and I think it is -- we could surely beat many clubs in other good leagues, too. 

Seria A is shit.  Liverpool should have been 5-0 at half time v Milan.

Hopefully Dean Smith will be remembered fondly and continue to improve us year after year. Winning the League Cup would be great but ultimately we need to be firmly top eight and pushing for a place in Europe.

Graham Taylor is remembered fondly and he never won anything; i'd hope we extend the same feeling towards Dean Smith.

I would guess something like:

Steer

Young Tuanzebe Hause Targett

Sanson Nakamba

Traore Buendia El Ghazi

Watkins

With JPB, Chuk to possibly get some minutes. Shame for them really that more senior players that need minutes are returning as they'd have a greater chance of starting otherwise. Still and all good to see we can make changes and still field a relatively strong side.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

We also get 45% of gate receipts. Worth about 320k if there is a full house tonight. We made 2.5m by getting to the final against City. But the big prize is a place in European competition next season for the winner