January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Twitter suggests we are closing in on Hickey. Coupled with Digne arriving Targett isn’t even back up.

Doubt we will sign 2 left backs, Bologna said they wont sell until summer 

• Like 1

Gerrard's pre-match interview regarding Watkins/Ings playing together sounded like he's after a forward who will make the conversation null and void. Could be me reading into things but he was responding to a question about Ollie and Ings playing side by side. He's expecting multiple signings the way he was talking. All for it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

Gerrard's pre-match interview regarding Watkins/Ings playing together sounded like he's after a forward who will make the conversation null and void. Could be me reading into things but he was responding to a question about Ollie and Ings playing side by side. He's expecting multiple signings the way he was talking. All for it. 

Meaning?   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Nope. Mings has to be replaced IMO. You don’t get Europe with a CB that cocks up in 50% of the games he plays. 

Mings is much better than Konsa. I agree that we need a new centre back but Mings will still start.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

Meaning?   

He bemoaned our ability to create/score goals and said something along the lines of ‘hopefully we’ll be in a better position by the end of the window’ 

Digne and Coutinho will massively help us create chances. One is pretty much top of the tree for chances created at full back and the other is a £140m maestro. 

I don’t think we’ll add any more attacking players until perhaps the summer. The key signing for me is still a defensive midfielder. 

The Summer, looking that far ahead, is a tough one to predict in terms of recruitment. I think Gerrard will spend the rest of the season trying a few things and giving players chances but they’ll be fighting for their places at the club. 

IF we signed Coutinho, Digne and Bissouma, I thinks a centre half and another attacking player might be on the cards in the Summer but I can’t see us spending big if we go all out for Bissouma. The Summer will be all about getting rid of some of the deadwood. 

Yeah positions we need to fill are LB, CB, CDM, GK - I can see us trying to fill those positions this window and the ones we can't complete we'll look to the summer. 

Only other addition I can think of is another midfielder if Luiz isn't signing a contract and he's sold.

If Alvarez is (still) a possibility I’d go for him, but otherwise we’re already stacked in attacking positions. They may indeed not all be good enough, but we have plenty of options there that need to be moved on first. And Gerrard hasn’t really even see much of Bailey or Traore yet for us, let alone Coutinho.

I can’t see Hickey coming in behind Digne either now or in the summer. He was one of few British players to move abroad so that he could get game time, so it seems unlikely he’d move to a side who have just bought a first choice LB for the next 3 years. We’ll be hoping that Chrisene is ready to step up by then.

DM obviously needs to get done. CB, perhaps the management feel that Feeney is close, or at least to the point of us not having to buy another young ish prospect who would ahead of him as backup yet potentially not even as good and a block on his progression.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

If Alvarez is (still) a possibility I’d go for him, but otherwise we’re already stacked in attacking positions. They may indeed not all be good enough, but we have plenty of options there that need to be moved on first. And Gerrard hasn’t really even see much of Bailey or Traore yet for us, let alone Coutinho.

I can’t see Hickey coming in behind Digne either now or in the summer. He was one of few British players to move abroad so that he could get game time, so it seems unlikely he’d move to a side who have just bought a first choice LB for the next 3 years. We’ll be hoping that Chrisene is ready to step up by then.

DM obviously needs to get done. CB, perhaps the management feel that Feeney is close, or at least to the point of us not having to buy another young ish prospect who would ahead of him as backup yet potentially not even as good and a block on his progression.

I think the Alvarez boat has sailed, has gone quiet and teams like Bayern, Ajax and Milan are interested now. We should have struck before he started making a name for himself.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spoony said:

Nope. Mings has to be replaced IMO. You don’t get Europe with a CB that cocks up in 50% of the games he plays. 

I am coming around to think we need a first class centre Back....However, I still think we lack players with natural defensive nous.....so the 2 CB's are exposed too much.

but that conceded goal last night was Pants.....lower league teams would get on the end of that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am coming around to think we need a first class centre Back....However, I still think we lack players with natural defensive nous.....so the 2 CB's are exposed too much.

but that conceded goal last night was Pants.....lower league teams would get on the end of that.

Regardless of EK and TMs ability, I think it needs changing up now, I'd hope SG can persuade those that might become squad players to stay because they are decent and will give us depth if we can upgrade them or one of them. Same for Targett, needs to stay and fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Regardless of EK and TMs ability, I think it needs changing up now, I'd hope SG can persuade those that might become squad players to stay because they are decent and will give us depth if we can upgrade them or one of them. Same for Targett, needs to stay and fight.

Think some of our defensive woes will subside as we start improving in other parts of the pitch.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nepal_villan said:

Think some of our defensive woes will subside as we start improving in other parts of the pitch.  

You're right, getting the balance right will come and that back 5 as we all know are capable, they are good enough to get us into the top half for sure, I'm not so sure that they can take us higher. One thing's for sure, replacing them will cost a lot of money.

• Like 1