Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

37 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Ings was purely a "keep the fans happy" signing. We were losing Grealish, and getting a proven premier league goalscorer kept a bit of positivity.

The fact he didnt fit into the team in any way was not Purslows problem at all, he just palmed that over to Dean Smith, who also had no idea how to play him.

Or the fact we were relying on only one Striker in our entire first team squad and we were lucky he never got injured or tired. 

No matter what anyone things of how Ings has done we needed another striker that summer. If it wasn't Ings who was it?

Too many people on here hate context 

Danny, thanks for your contribution over the last 18 months. It’s a shame we never resolved the conundrum of how to play you and Ollie together. We did glimpses of the top class finisher that you are.

Top class bloke, best wishes for the rest of your career.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Or the fact we were relying on only one Striker in our entire first team squad and we were lucky he never got injured or tired. 

No matter what anyone things of how Ings has done we needed another striker that summer. If it wasn't Ings who was it?

Too many people on here hate context 

We just signed a striker? 
Im not a mathematician but 1 + 1 = 2 

52 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would be very underwhelming though.

People wondering why when we're 6 points off 7th we're recalling a guy who's played 5 games for us in about four years to help fire us up the league.

He's done o.k at Watford so has proven himself in championship now. However he's had a couple of injuries so do that and we'll have a spell around April when Watkins is our only fit CF on a matchday.

Plenty of decent strikers around europe we could sign on six month loan so do that, help Duran develop at his own pace and then we can seriously look at options in the summer.

I mean it would be ridiculous if we were expecting him to 'help fire us up the league', for sure. As I say, it would be better to buy or loan a better player. I just don't think it would be a disaster if he was brought back as a 'something different for defenders to think about' forward option, for which he would end up being 3rd choice anyway. But I could see it not being completely useless as an idea if Bailey would be playing close to him. 

But sure, yes, if possible we should get a better striker. 

Sorry to see him go but our managers never really found a way to fit him into the side and it seemed pretty clear he was frustrated with lack of game time and goals - although, professional as he is, he never let that show.

Hope he gets back to regular goal-scoring form with his new club (but not against us).

2 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

We just signed a striker? 
Im not a mathematician but 1 + 1 = 2 

What are you on about? This is summer 2021 we are talking about. We had Watkins only and Jack was being sold. We needed another striker and we signed Ings. 

We needed another striker at the time no matter what. So who else would we have signed back then. Ings made sense at the time. 

• Like 3

West Ham won't go down with him upfront playing most of their games now, he did well here to get 7 goals in limited game time this season and his pass to Bailey against Wolves really deserved a better finish and for us to get 3 points in that game. I am sad to see him go, best of luck to him, he will do quite well there imo, although the hammers do have a habit of churning through strikers so who knows. Back him to score against Everton on the weekend

20 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

If Ings goes back to knocking in every flukey half chance he gets now. Gonna be annoyed 

That Liverpool game was so annoying. Missed a hatful of easy chances then smashes in a near impossible goal when he's offside.

He definitely still has it in him,  I don't think many clubs play a system that will get it out of him very often though. 

• Like 1

When it is confirmed (although this has been moved to "other football" and that is good enough for me), I will wish Danny well, other than when he faces us, but very much so if he happens to line up against Small Heath next season. It was short and perhaps not quite as sweet as we might both have hoped, but thanks for the memories Danny!

GALLERY: Ings arrives at Aston Villa! | AVFC Everton boss Lampard coy about plans for Aston Villa striker Danny Ings -  Pennsylvania News Premier League results - Danny Ings inspires Aston Villa against Newcastle,  Brentford draw at Palace, Leeds hold Everton - Eurosport  West Ham in advanced talks to sign Danny Ings from Aston Villa | Everton  defeat could be the last straw for David Moyes - West Midlands News

• Like 2

Did a job but clearly doesn't fit our medium term plan. No problem with doing this now rather than leave £10m+ on the table when he was inevitably moved on in the summer anyway.

Appreciate it leaves us short as it stands but big difference this time is we'll probably put the money to good use.

Wish him all the best and hopefully he gets to enjoy the Championship next year.

Edited by flamingsombrero

Â