Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

P.S. Given that the headline I saw today that West Ham will fire Moyes if he doesn't beat Everton, the transfer doesn't make sense from their end, either, unless (1) the rumour is false and Moyes is staying, or (2) they already know who their new manager will be and the new manager wants him.

No immediate replacement lined up as per Emery's press conference. Can't understand this business at all. He says it's a very good deal - is it really? Our top goalscorer leaving for £12m up front, less than half what we paid for him a year ago? I don't think Ings was the answer to any of our questions, however, that's not to say we sell given the position we're in now, without a replacement lined up.

Surely we recall Archer at the very least.

Daft business all around if you ask me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomC said:

P.S. Given that the headline I saw today that West Ham will fire Moyes if he doesn't beat Everton, the transfer doesn't make sense from their end, either, unless (1) the rumour is false and Moyes is staying, or (2) they already know who their new manager will be and the new manager wants him.

The rumour is Dyche, who worked with him at Burnley 

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

No immediate replacement lined up as per Emery's press conference. Can't understand this business at all. He says it's a very good deal - is it really? Our top goalscorer leaving for £12m up front, less than half what we paid for him a year ago? I don't think Ings was the answer to any of our questions, however, that's not to say we sell given the position we're in now, without a replacement lined up.

Its not just the 15m though is it. He is one of the highest earners on the wage bill. Think about this the summer he has 12 months left we really run the risk of losing him on a free.

I think it is the right decision considering his age contract status etc.

Im just suprised anyone would come in and pay 15m for him. As good as ings is i stikl feel his best days are behind him

Only thing that sucks is we have lost a good penalty taker in ings. God knows who is on pens now

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its not just the 15m though is it. He is one of the highest earners on the wage bill. Think about this the summer he has 12 months left we really run the risk of losing him on a free.

Im just suprised anyone would come in and pay 15m for him. As good as ings is i stikl feel his best days are behind him

Only thing that sucks is we have lost a good penalty taker in ings. God knows who is on pens now

Bailey or Luiz I'd think.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ashley with the snoo! Don't think his pens record was good during Ashley Young Mk 1

23 minutes ago, est1874 said:

This is the view I have. Nobody lined up is baffling.

Ings a striker more suited to a bygone age when every team wanted a 'fox in the box' type forward, but there's a reason those type of players went out of vogue like twenty years ago, whilst they themselves will score goals, their overall contribution can be detrimental to the team, for if they're not scoring then they're not contributing much else, so can almost be like playing with ten men, Ings might score goals at West Ham, but he alone won't improve them.

I say it's like Ronaldo second spell at Man Utd, he scored goals, but they became better when he left, as they're now better as a team and a better team will spread the goals around and probably score more overall.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, est1874 said:

That’s not what Unai said at all. He made it very clear that we’d do business this window for a striker whilst recognising it’s a hard window to buy for that position. Let’s not get doom and gloom about it. 

The very definition of a panic signing, someone that upset the balance and formation. He was clearly signed to play when Watkins was also not getting dropped creating problems which I think played a good part in Smith being fired.

We either needed to buy someone clearly better than Watkins and drop him, or sign a great prospect that was happy to be on the bench and back up. What we didn't need was a great finisher who can't press in the way the formation needs. 

I think they have someone lined up or a lot of confidence in Dhuran as back up.

19 minutes ago, duke313 said:

This is the view I have. Nobody lined up is baffling.

I'm with you guys. If we're that desperate for £12-15m to raise funds for incomings I'd be worried (wages discounted because we have to pay soneone to play anyway). £15m is roughly the difference in PL merit payments from 8th place to 14th or 15th which is where we'll likely end up if we're only reliant on Watkins as our main strike threat. Unless we have someone lined up and we're not showing our cards, the Ings deal makes little sense to me.....

• Like 2

I'm not too disappointed by this. He scored some important goals, but for a guy who was only in the team purely to score goals, he missed a hell of a lot of chances. The Leeds game kind of summed him up, does little for most of the game, finally gets a great chance towards the end but couldn't finish it. I'd guess that if we waited until the summer to move him on, he'd be stuck in the loan cycle like a few of our other players are in, and we wouldn't get a penny for him by the end of it, so I think it makes sense. 

50 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That’s not what Unai said at all. He made it very clear that we’d do business this window for a striker whilst recognising it’s a hard window to buy for that position. Let’s not get doom and gloom about it. 

He didn't. He said we would be in the market for a striker either this window or in the summer and in the meantime they would be working with Duran to get him up to speed over the coming weeks to play more football than they initially intended for him. That's a long way from guaranteeing we're doing business this window for a striker.

Â