Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, useless said:

Ings a striker more suited to a bygone age when every team wanted a 'fox in the box' type forward, but there's a reason those type of players went out of vogue like twenty years ago, whilst they themselves will score goals, their overall contribution can be detrimental to the team, for if they're not scoring then they're not contributing much else, so can almost be like playing with ten men, Ings might score goals at West Ham, but he alone won't improve them.

I say it's like Ronaldo second spell at Man Utd, he scored goals, but they became better when he left, as they're now better as a team and a better team will spread the goals around and probably score more overall.

13 goals and 6 assists at Villa in equivaleny of 30 full games indicates he was contributing more than goals

• Like 1

I like Ings, but he doesn't fit in an Emery system.

Hope he does well (but Wet Spam still get relegated)

We need to trust the process. Unai knows what he is doing.

Edited by Xela

4 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Don't get it.

Strictly from a numbers on paper point of view you can make an argument.

But that aside when you look at everything else, and what we have in the squad, nope.

Sounds like Ings was pretty straight-up with Emery and wanted to move, and maybe he felt he owed it to Ings? Not too ruthless on Emery's part, but I do think that human element played a role.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

One thing that ings game relied on was his pace. His pace has completely gone now dunno if anyone noticed that.

Isnt the type of striker that fits emerys system. If anyone thinks there isnt another striker coming in i think your crazy.

There is noway we are going into the remaining part of the season with one striker.

Big risk to let a player like Ings go but it was always on the cards. Just hope we actually do have a replacement lined up as it would be a monumental risk to let him go otherwise. 

With Archer gone and Watkins injured, it's too much to expect Duran to come in and immediately fill Ings boots.

Brighton was one of my favourite aways in years so I thank Danny for that.

Interesting times ahead.

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

13 goals and 6 assists at Villa in equivaleny of 30 full games indicates he was contributing more than goals

He did, although I was trying to think of games where Ings was a standout player for us. I can’t think of too many, but my memory of the late Smith and entire Gerrard era is pretty poor now as a trauma coping mechanism. Can anyone point to a few games where Ings really shone? I know there must be a few.

Watkins, for all his obvious faults and erratic form, has had some incredible games for us where he’s been the difference.

I like Ings but I think you have to be logical about this and realise that if we are to get to where we want to be, which is qualify for European football, then he isn't going to be the main to take us there and with that in mind I can see why at nearly 31 and with a decent offer on the table we have decided to let him go.

Aside from his injury ravaged 3 years at Liverpool he has always played for struggling top flight clubs. Burnley, Southampton, a lower table Villa and now a deep in the mire West Ham and that probably speaks a lot about his level. 

There are a number of others of course who aren't going to take us back to European football and I suppose the one who springs to mind when talking about Ings is Watkins. Whilst he doesn't offer much in the way of goals he does contribute in other ways with his work rate, running off the ball and willingness to run the channels. He is also only 27 and is not in last chance saloon in terms of resale value.

Good luck to Ings though. A consummate professional. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He did, although I was trying to think of games where Ings was a standout player for us. I can’t think of too many, but my memory of the late Smith and entire Gerrard era is pretty poor now as a trauma coping mechanism. Can anyone point to a few games where Ings really shone? I know there must be a few.

Watkins, for all his obvious faults and erratic form, has had some incredible games for us where he’s been the difference.

It's not easy to "shine" as a striker so to speak, other than scoring goals. Which is of course what he is there for. So I'd say Brighton away as I mentioned was a stand out. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Brighton away, that Brentford win as well when captain clearing in the woods was sacked. He had some memorable moments though like the Bailey assist vs Everton{I think he did similar vs Leeds}, the overhead kick

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's not easy to "shine" as a striker so to speak, other than scoring goals. Which is of course what he is there for. So I'd say Brighton away as I mentioned was a stand out. 

Brighton away was a pen and a deflection.

The bicycle kick goal as @Zatmanmentions was indeed a moment of pure magic.

I just wonder if we’ll really miss him all that much. One of those players I rated and personally wouldn’t have sold, but not sure it’s as big a mistake as some think.

Watkins would be a much bigger loss IMO, especially to Emery, even though on an individual level it’s hard to say Watkins is better than Ings.

Just now, KentVillan said:

Brighton away was a pen and a deflection.

The bicycle kick goal as @Zatmanmentions was indeed a moment of pure magic.

I just wonder if we’ll really miss him all that much. One of those players I rated and personally wouldn’t have sold, but not sure it’s as big a mistake as some think.

Watkins would be a much bigger loss IMO, especially to Emery, even though on an individual level it’s hard to say Watkins is better than Ings.

I though Ings pressed well at Brighton and created space for others to run into. He also scored twice ina game that we came from behind to win for the first time in yonks so I'd class that as good performance.

That said, he clearly wasn't in Emerys plans so let's see what happens. I was looking forward to him scoring against his old club tho. 

• Like 1

Hourihane got goals and assists, even at Premier League level, six assists and four goals in nineteen games worth of PL football. But there was more to think about than that, his overall contribution wasn't deemed good enough or right for the team, similar with El Ghazi.

Personally I’m a bit puzzled we’ve sold him, and I think the club missed a trick by not making better use of him since he signed. He’s a good player and perhaps having a plan B that played to his strengths might have been nice, even if Watkins was our plan A.

I have faith Emery knows what he’s doing though.

Seems an odd decision, as per the stats above he contributes well to the team. Hope we have an experienced replacement lined up.

Â