Tim Iroegbunam

useless

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

The clue is in the term 'holding' player. I don't know why some people get so confused by it. It's a form of CDM, whether you call or holding, anchor or anything else. 

Exactly, what does an anchor do? Honestly I thought it was common knowledge.

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Exactly, what does an anchor do? Honestly I thought it was common knowledge.

An anchor sits in front of the centre backs and doesn't venture forward to support the attack, rather they provide an outlet at the base of the midfield to move the ball quickly, usually passing short to another player. 

For me, a holding midfielder is a CM who will be a link between attack and defence, not going too far forward or dropping too far back, but rather someone who connects while also looking to win the ball and pressure in the middle of the pitch. An all-round role. The box-to-box CM is a more active version who'll cover more ground. 

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

An anchor sits in front of the centre backs and doesn't venture forward to support the attack, rather they provide an outlet at the base of the midfield to move the ball quickly, usually passing short to another player. 

For me, a holding midfielder is a CM who will be a link between attack and defence, not going too far forward or dropping too far back, but rather someone who connects while also looking to win the ball and pressure in the middle of the pitch. An all-round role. The box-to-box CM is a more active version who'll cover more ground. 

An anchor holds, the meaning of the word anchor is something that sits put and holds something in place. I wasn’t asking what the anchor role mean in footballing terms 🤣🤣🤣. But anchor and Holding midfielder are the same.

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

An anchor holds, the meaning of the word anchor is something that sits put and holds something in place. I wasn’t asking what the anchor role mean in footballing terms 🤣🤣🤣. But anchor and Holding midfielder are the same.

They're similar but not the same - the anchor plays deeper. It's like a holding defensive midfielder.

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

They're similar but not the same - the anchor plays deeper. It's like a holding defensive midfielder.

But you said earlier a holding midfielder isn’t a DM? You said a holding midfielder is a CM .

3 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

But you said earlier a holding midfielder isn’t a DM? You said a holding midfielder is a CM .

Yes?

A holding midfielder is a CM who occupies the very middle of the pitch. An anchor 'holds' in front of the centre backs, occupying a defensive space and having absolutely nothing to do with the attack. They're not the same thing. 

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yes?

A holding midfielder is a CM who occupies the very middle of the pitch. An anchor 'holds' in front of the centre backs, occupying a defensive space and having absolutely nothing to do with the attack. They're not the same thing. 

Direct Quote from Frank Lampard when people where debating why he was playing Kante as a Box to Box midfielder.

“Kante is not a holding midfielder, he wants to leave areas, he wants to go and win the ball back” 20 Sept 2020

9 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Direct Quote from Frank Lampard when people where debating why he was playing Kante as a Box to Box midfielder.

“Kante is not a holding midfielder, he wants to leave areas, he wants to go and win the ball back” 20 Sept 2020

What's Kante got to do with anything?

• Confused 1

"A defensive midfielder (holding midfielder or midfield anchor) is a central midfielder who is stationed in front of the defenders to provide more defensive protection, thus "holding back" when the rest of the midfield supports the attack."

I hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

On 16/02/2022 at 12:58, gwi1890 said:

I think we get confused in interpretation with Midfield in particular....its seems so many opinions differ on what is expected from who.

for me its CDM-CM-AM in a 3.......but its more about tasks, who is doing what, and what's been asked of them.

Someone has to win the ball or turn it over, call it what you will......sometimes its more than one player, that's expected to do that.....but its a job that needs doing.

A CDM for me, thats their main function along with protecting the back line and if they are good, they do other things to like pass well, and win aerial duels.

Edited by TRO

On 16/02/2022 at 12:01, lexicon said:

I think the interpretation of all this is the essence of the frustrating debates....folk see varying roles differently.

I prefer in my minds eye to set out the team selected, in a certain formation, then list below their names and the job function, I am expecting them to do, in a list of priority.....3-5 attributes, I want to see.

That way all the tasks the team needs to execute, should get done by someone.....obviously, there will be an overlap from player to player......but if no one player can do a certain task well, it identifies an imbalance.

Form will always create a case where other players have to cover, whilst they are on the pitch....the whole thing is a balancing act.

1 hour ago, troon_villan said:

I only understand nautical terms when describing player positions.

I prefer Spanish, Italian and Hungarian words taken from farming analogies that only the smug ****s on ‘Tifo football’ ever use.

Edited by a m ole

2 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Which thread is this again?

It's the Douglas Luiz is the root of all evil thread. Just like all of the other threads. Smith is gone now so it must be Luiz.

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the interpretation of all this is the essence of the frustrating debates....folk see varying roles differently.

I prefer in my minds eye to set out the team selected, in a certain formation, then list below their names and the job function, I am expecting them to do, in a list of priority.....3-5 attributes, I want to see.

That way all the tasks the team needs to execute, should get done by someone.....obviously, there will be an overlap from player to player......but if no one player can do a certain task well, it identifies an imbalance.

Form will always create a case where other players have to cover, whilst they are on the pitch....the whole thing is a balancing act.

Whatever the debate, Iroegbunam doesn't tend to just sit in front of the defence - in pretty much all the games I've seen him, he's box-to-box, intrepid and dynamic. 

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Whatever the debate, Iroegbunam doesn't tend to just sit in front of the defence - in pretty much all the games I've seen him, he's box-to-box, intrepid and dynamic. 

Sounds like he'd be more suited to one of the two CM positions rather than the DM.  But he's still young, so perhaps SG see's something different in him.

Â