Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

VT generally isn't one to believe random twitter ITK's normally but see this account mentioned a fair bit. is this a credible ITK then?

Whispers has some credibility and a track record but is incredibly cryptic. He doesnt post frequently (it can be 18 months apart), the account has been locked to new followers for over a year so he is not on an ego trip or an attention seeker. I really can’t work it out. His English/grammar is really poor so he either isn’t very smart or English isn’t his first language, neither of which is an issue but you would think that level of info has to come from inside the club and not sure that profile fits that opportunity? But on Twitter there is some legit info from obscure sources and he has provided telling info for a number of years,

Edited by thunderball

Just now, bcarpet said:

From what I can see from Bailey (and I know very little about him admittedly), it seems he would really compliment Jack and Emi in the midfield.  It would give us three different ways of creating chances and opening teams up

Jack - can dribble and create things out of nothing

Emi - can thread a pass through the eye of a needle

Bailey - Has raw pace which will keep teams either sitting deeper or will allow him space to exploit it.

Is that how others are seeing it?  It seems to make sense in that regard to me.

I agree totally with this. I think Alvarez is an opportunity at the price being mentioned and would be as well as a Bailey or other. I think Alvarez is just an upgrade on AEG.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Not sure Tammy would come here as Watkins is better and firmly #1, it doesn’t improve his position as being a reserve forward. Tammy will likely end up at WHU, and it will be a good move for all parties unfortunately.  

Tammy wouldn't come here but Alvarez would, this is where we're going with this now with people who don't want Tammy to come to Villa 😂. Watkins would be better option than Alvarez plus like I said the moment Bailey is signed we have Wesley, Davis in back ups (which I'm not confident by) but then we have Traore and Bailey who could jump in there if things are horribly going wrong. Then if all that fails just bring youth on through Young and Barry for minutes.

That's why I am saying if we buy another player who can actually play as Center Forward, there's no point in buying Tammy or Alvarez.

I'd feel alot more confident of having Bailey up front than Alvarez and playing back up to Watkins, I'd also feeleay more confident knowing Bailey were to be put in fron of Wesley and Davis. In fact just sell Wesley and Davis if Bailey is coming in.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Whispers has some credibility and a track record but is incredibly cryptic. He doesnt post frequently (it can be 18 months apart), the account has been locked to new followers for over a year so he is not on an ego trip or an attention seeker. I really can’t work it out. His English/grammar is really poor so he either isn’t very smart or English isn’t his first language, neither of which is an issue but you would think that level of info has to come from inside the club and not sure that profile fits that opportunity? But on Twitter there is some legit info from obscure sources and he has provided telling info for a number of years,

i think for me, when it comes to ITKs is the question why? why would you leak information and risk your job, even if the chances of you being caught are small? it's the main reason i struggle to believe any of them, because what they do makes no logical sense.

so whether whispers is genuine or not, i'm afraid he is on an ego trip just like all the others, because that's the only plausible explanation for doing it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think for me, when it comes to ITKs is the question why? why would you leak information and risk your job, even if the chances of you being caught are small? it's the main reason i struggle to believe any of them, because what they do makes no logical sense.

so whether whispers is genuine or not, i'm afraid he is on an ego trip just like all the others, because that's the only plausible explanation for doing it

But some still do it. Look at AV Transfers on twitter from a few years ago. He worked in the hospital where medicals were done and leaked info. There are certain people who just can't keep a secret inside and have a burning need to let it out. 

6 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

From what I can see from Bailey (and I know very little about him admittedly), it seems he would really compliment Jack and Emi in the midfield.  It would give us three different ways of creating chances and opening teams up

Jack - can dribble and create things out of nothing

Emi - can thread a pass through the eye of a needle

Bailey - Has raw pace which will keep teams either sitting deeper or will allow him space to exploit it.

Is that how others are seeing it?  It seems to make sense in that regard to me.

I have a problem with the idea of us using raw pace. How often is it we utilize our fastest players raw pace? Not often last season. We haven't utilised Trez speed and acceleration much because we're to slow at counters, see Liverpool as an example. We were likelightning and teams couldn't deal with us first half of last season, then we just hit a wall with using pace and acceleration to point we looked slow and lethargic. We had Sanson come in, extremely fast and at his old club they utilised him in counters, we didn't do that one bit with him. I am scared we won't even get to see Bailey's raw speed, sprint power, Acceleration because we are to slow on counters. Our controlling game make for a less running about game also, same with long balls, unless were going to be playing more long balls to Bailey or lengthy crosses to start runs we just won't see Bailey's speed much.

I'd like to see our game change slightly to accommodate the faster players of our squad like the 3 I mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I have a problem with the idea of us using raw pace. How often is it we utilize our fastest players raw pace? Not often last season. We haven't utilised Trez speed and acceleration much because we're to slow at counters, see Liverpool as an example. We were likelightning and teams couldn't deal with us first half of last season, then we just hit a wall with using pace and acceleration to point we looked slow and lethargic. We had Sanson come in, extremely fast and at his old club they utilised him in counters, we didn't do that one bit with him. I am scared we won't even get to see Bailey's raw speed, sprint power, Acceleration because we are to slow on counters. Our controlling game make for a less running about game also, same with long balls, unless were going to be playing more long balls to Bailey or lengthy crosses to start runs we just won't see Bailey's speed much.

I'd like to see our game change slightly to accommodate the faster players of our squad like the 3 I mentioned.

Would Emi not help with this?  we now have some one who could play a longer ball which wouldn't necessarily be hit and hope?  Even if that first ball is initially played into Watkins, I'm assuming that Bailey would then have the pace to break out quickly to join in the attack and potentially help create a 2v2 or overload attack? 

It might also be part of a bigger picture plan of where we want to break out quicker hence why someone like Sanson has also been brought in, its just Dean and the guys haven't maybe felt we've had enough players with the right attributes to make it works yet? I'm not saying it is, I'm just trying to see how all the pieces in the puzzle fit together

Edited by bcarpet
typo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

If you think Sanson and Trez are extremely fast I'd like to have a running race against you.

Both wearing slippers and 20p to the winner?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Trez isn't quick, or at least he has zero acceleration. I think the stat of his speed is skewed entirely by probably quite long sprints back into defensive positions where he's had a bit of space to get up to top speed. Has he ever accelerated past someone? Nope, but he's tried and lost the ball 90% of the time because of the lack of acceleration and it makes him very easy to dispossess for Prem quality defenders. Someone with actual raw pace is exactly what we need imo. We don't have anyone.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

If you think Sanson and Trez are extremely fast I'd like to have a running race against you.

Both wearing slippers and 20p to the winner?

Sanson did look quite quick though, but not 'raw pace' quick. More 'quick enough to compete in the prem' quick.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I get your point Dave, but I think Buendia will feed Ollie with his threaded passes, that will get us on the attack quicker...Jack as much as I love him, can slow the transition down a bit at times, maybe he can improve on that with better players around him....we do need some raw pace, even if its to scare the bejeezus out ot teams.

These players do give us variation which is crucial.

I still have concerns of us countering from too deep, because we defend too deep at times.....turning the ball over higher up the pitch, gets us to have less distance to strike...I think a dominant DM actually aids the attacking process, by turning the ball over....doesn't seem to be a priority though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jas10 said:

The things is, Bailey got 15 goals and 11 assists last season. Plus, he’s only 23.

How many other, gettable, players have that kind of output and capacity to contribute as much who are also so young?

With the emphasis on gettable (and young)…

The only name that springs to mind right now is Kamada. He got 5 goals and 15 assists…

Can’t think of others… would love to be enlightened…

Most, if not all, of the better performers are either too old, too expensive & in demand or play for the “elite clubs”…

Bailey just seems like an excellent signing to make…

Fits our transfer strategy/profile perfectly and will make us stronger…

One thing I can absolutely guarantee you is that Villa aren’t filtering players based on goals and assists. Chuck an x in front and they’re listening, but they’ll be looking at far more than that. 

All I have to go on for this player is YouTube, I haven’t seen him play but he looks amazing. I’d be pleasantly surprised if we signed him, he looks very quick and skilful and has great end product. Sadly, I think many other clubs will be in for him and there will be lots of competition for his signature 

51 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I don’t think you can doubt that some ITKs are indeed credible when we had @Hairyhands on here leaking team sheets the night before games. As for ‘whispers’, who knows, but I’m all for a juicy rumour in silly season.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

...I think a dominant DM actually aids the attacking process, by turning the ball over....doesn't seem to be a priority though.

I’m not having a dig so don’t take this the wrong way, but we simply don’t know that. The majority of ‘links’ have been to attackers, yes, but the provenance of those links beyond Twitter and/or clickbait is very weak indeed.

The one DM link (Pape Matar Sarr) came from a French Journo and we allegedly broke it off b/c of price. I suspect that might have been real because the player fitted a profile that makes lots of sense, and I’d not be surprised if it resurfaces later in the window.

If that guy is our top target for DM then I wouldn’t expect anything else to appear in terms of other options just yet.. 

..but the point is that just because we don’t know what’s happening doesn’t mean nothing's happening, or indeed what the priorities are. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

I’m not having a dig so don’t take this the wrong way, but we simply don’t know that. The majority of ‘links’ have been to attackers, yes, but the provenance of those links beyond Twitter and/or clickbait is very weak indeed.

The one DM link (Pape Matar Sarr) came from a French Journo and we allegedly broke it off b/c of price. I suspect that might have been real because the player fitted a profile that makes lots of sense, and I’d not be surprised if it resurfaces later in the window.

If that guy is our top target for DM then I wouldn’t expect anything else to appear in terms of other options just yet.. 

..but the point is that just because we don’t know what’s happening doesn’t mean nothing's happening, or indeed what the priorities are. 

quite right.

Â