Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Frustrating for him and us. But you get the impression like Gueye, thinks this is just a showcase to move on to somewhere else, but looks a million miles, when fit, of demonstrating any of the guile and skill I thought he was bringing. He needs to recuperate and rethink this league and it’s demands, at least Buendia is showing flashes of what he is about and has a determination to keep trying to improve.

• Like 1

For someone with his speed, it’s rare that he is tearing his quadriceps muscle, rather than the hamstring. Highlights there may be an strength/flexibility imbalance in the leg and not something that can be fixed in couple of weeks, takes months.

Disappointed for him.

The Jamaican Charles N'Zogbia. A rare piece of nice skill but 95% of the time wasteful and a complete liability in defence. A long way to go to show he was worth the £30m we spent on him. For that money I expected a lot better.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Was embarrassed for him last night rather than frustrated with him tbh, before the injury. 

He just wasn't doing anything good out there, he looked like me trying to play 7-a-side last week after 2 months out, inexplicably choosing the most crowded area to run into instead of passing, and giving up the ball with ease every time.

There's clearly a player there, but his form at the moment would suggest he needs a full season to settle and learn the Premier League, as I said last night. The injuries aren't helping either.

None of this is good for us unfortunately, between him and Buendia we can't afford to be waiting for them both to come good.

Feel for him, just hasn't been able to get going. Even in the last couple of games where he's gotten minutes his performances have mostly been indicative of a player completely lacking sharpness as there's glimpses of quality there but he's just taking an extra touch, delaying the shot or pass for an extra half second or so etc.

He doesn't even have a worrying injury history at all, just seems our luck this season that several players keep having setbacks and can't get up to speed. Still think he'll come good anyway, just need to be patient as much as some don't like to hear that. The ability is there.

that leg of his seems to be causing a lot of trouble right now. very disappointing for both him and us. I think we will have to be patient with Leon so he can recover fully. there's definitely a player there.

that being said he didn't look good yesterday. failed to close down Dias for their goal and didn't pass it on to Buendia for what probably would have been a goal if he had. that last one was the most frustrating moment in the game for me if I'm being honest XD.

He may well come good, gotta give him time.

I still can't believe he didn't release that ball last night though. Say what you want about Traore, but he's very clever and would have released that pass without a doubt.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He may well come good, gotta give him time.

I still can't believe he didn't release that ball last night though. Say what you want about Traore, but he's very clever and would have released that pass without a doubt.

yeah that was the purest wtf moment I've witnessed in a long time. it was so goddam obviously the best thing to do in that situation. there's no footballing brain thing there imo, he could see it too. I just think his ego got the best of him and he opted for trying to find a moment to bask in the glory himself.

but you just don't do that! you don't pick a risky option when the other option is almost nailed on guaranteed to produce a goal or at the very least a very, very good chance for a goal. frustrating af!

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

yeah that was the purest wtf moment I've witnessed in a long time. it was so goddam obviously the best thing to do in that situation. there's no footballing brain thing there imo, he could see it too. I just think his ego got the best of him and he opted for trying to find a moment to bask in the glory himself.

but you just don't do that! you don't pick a risky option when the other option is almost nailed on guaranteed to produce a goal or at the very least a very, very good chance for a goal. frustrating af!

It's Man City. It's being broadcast around the world. So self indulgent.

I'm not warming to him tbh. Greedy. Lazy. Gives the ball away then just stands there. More than willing to let his fullback get roasted 2 on 1. 

I don't see him being a Gerrard player. He has a lot of bad traits and characteristics.

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It's Man City. It's being broadcast around the world. So self indulgent.

I'm not warming to him tbh. Greedy. Lazy. Gives the ball away then just stands there. More than willing to let his fullback get roasted 2 on 1. 

I don't see him being a Gerrard player. He has a lot of bad traits and characteristics.

Yeah moments like these don't exactly help his cause.

I've not really warmed to him too much either, but I'm not writing him off either as that would just be short-sighted. I lowkey think he'll become a great player for us.

I'm pretty sure that Gerrard will have pointed this out to him after the game (maybe even at half time :D).

Either 

a) Put Bailey in the reserves to get match fitness, sharpness and to work on his decision making.

b) Put him on the bench to act as an impact sub.

Needs to stop the endless stepovers and let the ball go. AEG would be the better choice yesterday I'm afraid.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not writing him off, too soon for that but he hasnt proved an upgrade on Trez and AEG and certainly not as good as Traore. 

According to a few on here after his first couple of games, he was just as good as Grealish yet with pace 🤣

Every chance to come good but nowhere near Grealish's level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

6 appearances in the first team. Yeah, I think it's about time we start to write him off.

Yeah 6 appearances when we've played 14 matches, on that trajectory he'll play 15 matches a season. 

Definitely happy to write that off, that's not we needed in a bid to improve our squad.

• Haha 2

Â