Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

I watched the first half, overall quality of play was pretty poor. The missed pen was a bad one but I don’t think we are looking to him in those spots. My biggest frustration is the ball carrying  runs where he doesn’t look for/can’t pick a pass and gets overrun by defenders. 

• Like 4

I think he's one of the most disappointing signings we've had in recent years. 

I genuinely thought we were signing a superstar. And that initial cameo against Everton made me think we'd got an absolute gem. 

If we can get decent money I'd sell him but he'd be a decent enough squad player with all our extra games. 

He certainly shouldn't be starting on a regular basis for us. 

• Like 4

With unbias.

I didn't see the whole game.

However reading through comments, he is getting praised by some fans, and absolutely slaughtered by some.

In fairness, many of the criticisms are some of the same levelled at him on here.

" Needs to release the ball earlier, hogs it too much "

" Broke the momentum in second half "

" Antonio would never miss that " etc

" attitude needs to improve "

" Needs to start on the bench until he wants to put a shift in " etc

In fairness, they are probably most upset about the penalty and rebound miss to win an important game, and as Football fans, we know this will wind a fanbase right up and skew opinions on a performance.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id give him one more season 

What strikes me as odd. Bailey gets belters near eniugh every game and buendia doesnt. I think buendias been equally as disappointing 

I think buendias had his fair share of criticism tbh. The problem with bailey is we expected an explosive winger who was going to beat defenders etc and we haven’t seen it anywhere near enough. Wingers are inconsistent as it is but the way he and sancho have struggled (both with injuries and sancho with other reasons) makes me think the bundesliga isn’t the place to look for these kind of players 

8 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think buendias had his fair share of criticism tbh. The problem with bailey is we expected an explosive winger who was going to beat defenders etc and we haven’t seen it anywhere near enough. Wingers are inconsistent as it is but the way he and sancho have struggled (both with injuries and sancho with other reasons) makes me think the bundesliga isn’t the place to look for these kind of players 

Yes i would agree with your point regarding bundesliga. I think you look for defenders and central midfielders from there. Wide players dont do well here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I watched the first half, overall quality of play was pretty poor. The missed pen was a bad one but I don’t think we are looking to him in those spots. My biggest frustration is the ball carrying  runs where he doesn’t look for/can’t pick a pass and gets overrun by defenders. 

This is spot on.

Never mind inconsistency, I can accept that. But his decision making on the ball has been somewhere between poor and abysmal since he joined us.

And that poor decision making leads to him getting overcrowded/defences being given time to get back into shape.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

What strikes me as odd. Bailey gets belters near eniugh every game and buendia doesnt. I think buendias been equally as disappointing 

'equally' is a big stretch IMO. buendia has had criticism but i don't think he's been anywhere near as disappointing as bailey. there were times last season we won games in spite of bailey, as it was like playing with 10 men.

but i was massively critical of luiz for the first 3 seasons he was with us. and he ended up winning me over. i hope the same happens with bailey

i agree with you, 1 more season, give emery a chance to work some magic on him.

• Like 3

I think he has tried too hard since day one, needs to take the pressure off himself to  “do something” every time he gets the ball.

Hopefully a full preseason will help (all that said, still better than £80m Antony at United) 

Edited by macandally

He is certainly good enough for squad rotation, along with Buendia.

Replace those two in the first team with better players and we will be decent again this season.

Dont get the abuse he gets from a certain section of the fanbase. He’s not a bad player as some make out but he does lack consistency. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

He is certainly good enough for squad rotation, along with Buendia.

Replace those two in the first team with better players and we will be decent again this season.

Dont get the abuse he gets from a certain section of the fanbase. He’s not a bad player as some make out but he does lack consistency. 

He chipped in with some important assists towards the end of the season and there were (I thought) some green shoots alluding to maybe him finally settling into the team.  I think he'll be a good option from the bench and am hopeful (rather than expectant) that maybe he'll be a lot better this season.  But (rightly or wrongly) the price tag will hang over him and he's got a job to live up to that and prove himself to be the investment that many of us thought he was going to be.  I think we (or at least I) expected him to be a star and instead he's more likely to be a decent sub to bring on in certain games.  In that regard I would say that Beundia is similar.  They'll both have an important part to play next season but within the 16 match day players (or the match day squad) rather than the starting 11. 

However, I also think that they both suffer from the fact that players like McGinn, Luiz, Kamara and Ramsey cost significantly less (hopefully we can add Tielemans to that list too) and have become key components of the team.  I think there are probably a whole heap of £30-40m players in the PL who have done similar jobs to Bailey and Buendia or who are as equally inconsistent / frustrating - but the fact that they are still so high on our list of most expensive signings makes them seem further below par.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

I’m backing Bailey to have a breakout season under Emery. He seems like a sensitive guy who will be aware of the criticism and I reckon he will know he can do better. He has shown some good things for us and scored important goals. Definitely think he can and will raise his game another level like mings, Mcginn, Luiz etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I’m backing Bailey to have a breakout season under Emery. He seems like a sensitive guy who will be aware of the criticism and I reckon he will know he can do better. He has shown some good things for us and scored important goals. Definitely think he can and will raise his game another level like mings, Mcginn, Luiz etc. 

not sure i agree with that tbh.

Almost every player in our squad (who played) since Emery came in, have improved, some improving massively.

I would say one of the few players to not improve at all was Bailey, personally i thought he was as erratic and inconsistent as he was under Gerrard, if anything he was worse under Emery (although i will accept that he was just the same level for both Gerrard and Emery, but he has in no way been better under Emery).

I think Bailey would be a good squad option next year, as an impact sub etc, but i dont see him in the usual starting 11 at all.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

not sure i agree with that tbh.

Almost every player in our squad (who played) since Emery came in, have improved, some improving massively.

I would say one of the few players to not improve at all was Bailey, personally i thought he was as erratic and inconsistent as he was under Gerrard, if anything he was worse under Emery (although i will accept that he was just the same level for both Gerrard and Emery, but he has in no way been better under Emery).

I think Bailey would be a good squad option next year, as an impact sub etc, but i dont see him in the usual starting 11 at all.

I think he will definitely be part of the squad, but I also back him to raise his game. You are right, many other players raised their game when Emery came in, but I think he knows he has to improve and he will show that on the pitch. Just got a feeling we will start to see the player we payed a lot for. 

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This is **** gaslighting

Â