Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Easier said than done. 9 times out of ten he puts that away.

I mean in general during the game mate, he was having no joy with that doghead fullback so maybe should have switched 

• Like 2

He obviously has talent but it's like he is electric for a couple of games, then looks like he's won a competition to play for the next 5 or 6. 

He lacks consistency. I lost count last night how many times, especially 1st half, play broke down due to his decision making or trying to go on daft dribbles into dead ends. 

He is starting to remind me of one of them 'luxury' players, in a very good side you'd not notice his shortcomings as much, as the team is winning and he'd produce a moment here and there that get the crowd off their feet.

Unfortunately for him and us, we are a way off that yet and I think we'd be better dropping him to the bench to get his head together in the next few games. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'm gonna ignore Adomah because he was in the Championship and replace him with Buendia and only look at PL stats. 

You can't really do a simple calculation to their stats to take into account their transfer fee. If you doubled a players transfer fee for example, do you expect their goals and assists to double as well? Of course not. The gains you expect to get from a higher fee diminishes the higher the fee itself is. In other words, diminishing returns.

Goals per 90 minutes

1- AEG = 0.33 
2- Traore = 0.25
3- Trezeguet = 0.23
4- Bailey = 0.20
5- Buendia = 0.19

Assists per 90 minutes

1- Traore = 0.21
2- Bailey = 0.20
3- Buendia = 0.19
4- AEG = 0.11
5- Trezeguet = 0.06

Non-penalty goals per 90 minutes

1- Traore = 0.25
2- Trezeguet = 0.23
3- Bailey = 0.20
3- AEG = 0.20
5- Buendia = 0.19

Goals + Assists per 90 minutes

1- Traore = 0.46
2- AEG = 0.44
3- Bailey = 0.39
4- Buendia = 0.38
5- Trezeguet = 0.26

Non-penalty goals + Assists per 90 minutes

1- Traore = 0.46
2- Bailey = 0.39
3- Buendia = 0.38
4- AEG = 0.31
5- Trezeguet = 0.26

just shows how baffling it was getting rid of traore. yes he was frustrating but he at least had an end product which is more that can be said for bailey or buendia

I don’t think its gonna work out for him here tbh. He got my hopes up a few games ago when he finally showed he had some ability on the ball after about a year of being utter shit. i was so angry at him that game against fulham earlier that year. He was so bad, so slow, no trickery, no effort. And with every game, He’s slowly but surely regressing to that state again.

I don’t think we rely on a guy who has a couple good games every year, nor can we pin our hopes on him suddenly becoming consistent after 1 and a half years now. I’d try and sell him this window. We can probably get 20m for him.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

He needs our support, whether we individually "like" him or not.

I think the question is do we think he's good enough for the important role he is occupying right now.

It doesn't matter what we think its if the boss emery does and emerys post match comments show he is pleased with how he is performing. 

Maybe I am biased.. but I am backing him regardless.

He was clearly distraught because not only does he have high expectations of himself, but he has a whole nation on his back, he represents Jamaica and Jamaican football so he probably feels that he has let them down as well everyone involved with the club..

As humans, we show empathy because at the end of the day it is only a game of football, and IF he has the minerals, he will come back stronger, he is a young man..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be honest his feet were all over the place throughout the game last night so it was no surprise to see him make such a mess of the finish. His better bet would have been to have hit it first time and lob the keep but hindsight and all that. 

He may well have been tired - a number of them clearly were and its going to show up in quick feet more than other areas. Even the chance he had in first 5 mins he looked a little leggy. 

Tricky because he could probably do with a rest but also could do with a confidence boosting performance against Stevenage.  

He reminds me of many a wide player over the years, devastating pace with little end product. It's still early in his Villa career so maybe Emery can get a tune out of him, but for me if a sizable offer came in for him I wouldn't be upset to see him go. 

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

He obviously has talent but it's like he is electric for a couple of games, then looks like he's won a competition to play for the next 5 or 6. 

He lacks consistency. I lost count last night how many times, especially 1st half, play broke down due to his decision making or trying to go on daft dribbles into dead ends. 

He is starting to remind me of one of them 'luxury' players, in a very good side you'd not notice his shortcomings as much, as the team is winning and he'd produce a moment here and there that get the crowd off their feet.

Unfortunately for him and us, we are a way off that yet and I think we'd be better dropping him to the bench to get his head together in the next few games. 

I was thinking at the game last night, I've seen pretty much all of his villa performances, whether at the match or on tv. And for 75% of the games, he has been complete garbage. Which is essentially what your saying at the start there. He gives the ball away so many times.

I so want it to work for him and you can see the potential, but maybe that's why we were able to sign him, and others didnt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Clearly he’s distraught about that effort. 

He should have done better with it, he had time to take another touch and then slot it in. 

Frustrating game overall, rarely beat his man. And yet at one stage went past about 6 players and unlucky not to get a shot away

I said to my mate as it happened that it was a 94th minute effort. If he gets that chance after 20 minutes he touches it onto his left and casually passes it in past the defender on the line. 94th minute he rushed it first time, off balance while worrying that the keeper is about to get back and a defender covering on the line with his weak foot, if it had sat up a bit nicer he wouldn't have taken the touch round the keeper he would have just gone for the first time shot as well. 

I don't think people appreciate how much fatigue and fitness dictate games these days. It's why the most prolific strikers do virtually nothing in terms of pressing and build up play, so they are then "fresh" when the ball drops to them in the last minute to casually tap it in. It's hard to keep your head and make the right choice in a high pressure environment when you're knackered having spent 95 minutes running yourself into the ground. 

I didn't catch all of the game but from what I saw nothing really came off for him all night. The likes of Bailey and Watkins are good players for counter attacking football but are not the answer against low blocks. I'd add Buendia to that list as well I think as he has to do everything at 100mph which suits a counter attacking team but not so much against a wall of defenders 

34 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

On MOTD, Wrighty said that, in order for Leon to have angled that in, he needed to be falling over as he hit it. When you look back at the replay you can see that he's right. It wasn't as easy a shot as it looked.

It wasn't, but a bit of composure would have helped. He could have stopped, and placed it. 

But it was a last minute open goal shot, so you can't really blame him to going for it.

Either way, it should be going in.

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Gabby can get in the bin with his comments about him on TalkCrap 

What did he say?

On Bailey, I’d much prefer him to play on the left, he’s got a good cross on him, his cutting in constantly is starting to I irritate me.

46 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

On MOTD, Wrighty said that, in order for Leon to have angled that in, he needed to be falling over as he hit it. When you look back at the replay you can see that he's right. It wasn't as easy a shot as it looked.

He as good as scuffed it though when he had time to stop and place it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Some people aught to be ashamed of their comments on here following the game. 

Some of the most over the top s**t I've ever read on a message board. 

The guys inconsistent and had a poor game yesterday. Two things that don't deserve the comments and frankly hatred he's getting from some. 

El Ghazi levels of idiocy. 

It’s pretty embarrassing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What did he say?

On Bailey, I’d much prefer him to play on the left, he’s got a good cross on him, his cutting in constantly is starting to I irritate me.

He basically said “why’s he crying? Not like he cost Villa the FA Cup’ difficult chance etc”. 

Yes Gabby, some players take football very seriously. Maybe he should be more like him and shrug it off and go do laughing gas and party afterwards. 

13 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Some people aught to be ashamed of their comments on here following the game. 

Some of the most over the top s**t I've ever read on a message board. 

The guys inconsistent and had a poor game yesterday. Two things that don't deserve the comments and frankly hatred he's getting from some. 

El Ghazi levels of idiocy. 

I really dislike how some of our fan base turn on players after one bad performance. No wonder confidence at home is low. 

Â