Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

25 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think we'll see jack and probably foden tonight

we saw last night, teams are starting to get knackered. imagine a tired danish defence seeing jack come on

Impact sub!

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Talk of Saka coming back in for Sancho, don't understand that at all.

People acting like Sancho is some inexperienced kid when he's played in more big games for Dortmund in last 3 years than most of England attackers. England career been underwhelming so far but he played well enough on Saturday.

Don't understand either being picked ahead fo Grealish. Neither have an assist despite playig well. Grealish has two plus a big hand in another  goal. If you want to create chances and win big games like this  Grealish should play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Don't understand either being picked ahead fo Grealish. Neither have an assist despite playig well. Grealish has two plus a big hand in another  goal. If you want to create chances and win big games like this  Grealish should play.

My guess is: Mount at 10 and Sterling on the left are guaranteed starters, so the only position available is on the right, and Southgate thinks Saka will be better at keeping Maehle quiet than Grealish would be. In fact I'm not even sure Grealish would ever be in the picture to start on the right, his only start came when Mount was out and it looks like - despite our protestations otherwise - Southgate does see them as mutually exclusive.

I want Southgate to fail, because it would feel deserved if he did. On the other hand, I'd really like Jack and Tyrone to experience a Final. Hmmm.

Guess I'll have to use the old beer trick to resolve this cognitive issue.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

To fair be to Southgate he has got the team bang on up to date. But what worries me is, with him in charge, Grealish doesn't really fit into 'his' type of international football. He never wants to play full on attack football, just defensive counter attack, an Grealish is never really gonna fit his remit especially as a starter.

Edited by foreveryoung

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

To fair be to Southgate he has got the team bang on up to date. But what worries me is, with him in charge, Grealish doesn't really fit into 'his' type of international football. He never wants to play full on attack football, just defensive counter attack, an Grealish is never really gonna fit his remit especially as a starter.

Yep, Grealish is plan B.

If his pragmatic style of play takes the lead then Jack isn’t getting on the pitch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yep, Grealish is plan B.

If his pragmatic style of play takes the lead then Jack isn’t getting on the pitch.

Yeah thought this. If any game goes 2-0 up before 60 minutes, he ain't getting a game. He don't like the flair not needed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree with this, and said as much last night during the game. *If* England get to the final, Italy are likely to let us have more of the ball, much like Germany but with much better pressing. On the whole, I think you'd rather face an opponent who are less likely to force you to change the entire style of play.

Spain have actually played better than I thought they would. They really can pin you back. And with Kane dropping deep they're not likely to let you have an out ball too. 

Italy are very good but I believe that England can beat them. Hopefully no complacency tonight.

• Like 1

It’s completely unsurprising to not see Jack in the team, but still disappointing. All Villa fans would have built the team around him, but Southgate sees things differently. Hopefully he’ll get some minutes, just hope if he does it’s not because we’re losing. And if it is, then he gets more than 15 minutes to make a difference. 

I don't see a single conceivable, convincing reason why Mason Mount should start a Euro semifinal game over Jack. The only thing he has over him is he *checks notes* presses a little better. I'm no scientist, but when I weigh that against all the benefits you get from Jack playing, it just ain't stacking up. The math is just not mathing. Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to see them in the same side, but one and not the other makes zero sense.

Edited by Keyblade

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I don't see a single conceivable, convincing reason why Mason Mount should start a Euro semifinal game over Jack. The only thing he has over him is he *checks notes* presses a little better. I'm no scientist, but when I weigh that against all the benefits you get from Jack playing, it just ain't stacking up. The math is just not mathing. Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to see them in the same side, but one and not the other makes zero sense.

Totally agree. Mount has been anonymous this tournament. Also, Wright and Neville all over Saka - he has had two good halves all tournament (big fan of his though!)

Just now, Villa87 said:

Totally agree. Mount has been anonymous this tournament. Also, Wright and Neville all over Saka - he has had two good halves all tournament (big fan of his though!)

Big fan of his too. No qualms about him starting. He's been better than Foden and Sancho in the tournament so far.

• Like 1

Â